1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Prime Faction Nominations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by 1889, Oct 24, 2008.

1. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

I've called for a revolution to replace the Prime Faction. The poll only went up today but already the response is very encouraging. For that reason I am opening this thread to determine which factions will be running for PF should the revolution succeed.

2. 1889

The Aretian Democratic Party will be running for Prime Faction.

3. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Well done for getting this up promptly to minimise the delays if/when the revolution succeeds. We need to get this game moving again.

4. civplayah

civplayah fronter

Speaking for both of the LFR (Let Freedom Ring) members, we will run in this Prime Faction Election.

5. 1889

If there are no objections maybe we can use this nominating thread to introduce the competing factions and our respective plans for the game, that might help expedite elections.

I also suggest we close the revolution poll Monday, and assuming it succeeds we can hold PF elections Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with a short turn set (4-5 turns to research democracy and change civics) Wednesday night.

6. civplayah

civplayah fronter

If you're saying we could use this as a debate thread, I'm all for it.

7. 1889

Basically the Aretian Democratic Party’s point of view is that elected officers don’t work. You can see by the current government that elected positions are not effective at keeping the game going and are more annoying than fun. Usually nobody bothers to keep track of when elections are due and usually nobody bothers to run when they are.

Clearly interest and activity levels change over time. All an elected office does is keep active players from doing anything useful long after the original office holder and election officials have lost interest in playing. By eliminating elections and officers The Aretian Democratic Party will allow anyone to post on any subject at any time.

As far as the game itself, The Aretian Democratic Party will try to revitalize the domination win strategy which was so popular a few weeks ago.

8. civplayah

civplayah fronter

The LFR's ideologies have to do with the "All Men Are Free" concept. The government postitions help ensure that when the leader is unexpectedly missing, as Lord Civius is now, there will always be a second-in-command.

The members of the LFR decide who is the most fit to run, and since there is a government srtucture it is not so anarchist. With every three turnchats comes a new President elected, plus his advisors. This maintains order without coming to extremes. The elections will be regulated, and the President will make sure that they are polled when they are needed. The President may be impeached by the vote of the people. The President appionts a Vice President, the VP appointes a Secretary of the States, and so on.

9. 1889

So under LFR “All Men Are Free” but not equal. If the game dies again the players should wait patiently for an elected official to do something about it. The president can call for elections or something. If that doesn’t happen maybe the VP is still around and might do something. If not we should wait for instructions from the Secretary of State. Finally if none of that works out we can impeach the president or call for a revolution, which requires a poll to succeed and another to elect a new president or PF. That might sound far feched but isn’t that what just happened?

In the end, inactivity by a few elected officials has stalled this game for the last three weeks (or at least it will be three weeks by the next TC). Under Aretian Democratic Party all that is required for the game to move forward is that any interested player opens a turn chat thread. If there is more than one, an election may be required to determine who will play.

10. civplayah

civplayah fronter

Yes, but you cut out most of the fun of the faction system by being too anarchist. By the way, will you keep the state representative system, or will the turn player have all the power?

11. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

I would like to see the States General Assembly be kept as a discussion thread in whichever faction takes power.

It is somewhat of a cultural icon of the DG, I believe.

12. 1889

No I am not planning on keeping the State Rep system as I think it has been a major obstacle to creating good strategy. I also see little need for The States General Assembly once every player is free to post their ideas unencumbered a representative bureaucracy.

While I see no need for them and am not planning on using them it is not my intention to close those threads. Players that have elected to choose a residence are free to use those threads to discuss whatever issues they choose. So to they can continue to elect reps who bring issues to the assembly for discussion.

While politics does provide much flavor it apperantly is not a major draw for many of our current players.

13. civplayah

civplayah fronter

If the people wish to keep the represenative states system, their wish is my command. However, I will not continue it on my own accord. Although, I cannot speak for Vandal, if he's President.

I've said all I need to say, what do you say we start the poll?

14. 1889

The revolution succeeds, the nominations are closed, and the polls are open.