1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada (3d - anim - era - icons - texts)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by CivArmy s. 1994, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

2. Anarki

Anarki Prince

Meh. I have removed Canada from my Leaderhead List because it is of poor quality, IMO. :p

3. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

As a Canadian i ask why is the mountie a UU, its like giving america NYPD as a UU. The mounties are police not cavalry, i think the UU should be the Avro Arrow

4. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

Actually, that's a common misconception. Indeed, in the modern era, the mountie is just a typical police officer, however, when they were first introduced in the 1870s, they were, for all intents and purposes, a military regiment (essentially an 'occupational army' for the freshly-annexed North West Territories). Indeed, when the organization was first to be created by an act of parliament, many parliamentarians wanted to call it the 'North West Mounted Rifles.' The name was softened to 'Police' in order to assure relatively peaceful relations with the local natives, but its raison d'etre remained the same.
    Furthermore, the Mounties acted very much as military forces in the suppression of the North West Rebellion of 1885, and by the time of the Boer War, were probably the best trained forces in Canada, military or police. For that reason, an army of Mounties formed an imperial cavalry regiment in South Africa, led by no less august an individual than Sam Steele himself. Steele, of Klondike gold rush fame, was called out of retirement by Lord Strathcona, who was also known as Donald Smith, the one-time-conservative-turned liberal who drove the last spike into the Canadian Pacific railway.
    Sorry about this long-winded, trivial and somewhat boring load of information. I've been reading too many Pierre Berton books recently. ;)

Anyways, the Avro Arrow would be a poor choice for Canadian UU, as they never saw combat, and only five of them were ever actually produced (all of which were subsequently shredded and dumped to the bottom of Lake Erie because of American political pressure). :(

5. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Here's the civilopedia entry I use for the Mountie:

^In 1873, a party of wolf hunters was returning through the Cypress Hills to its base at Fort Benton when their horses were stolen. They found other horses and then
    shared an overnight camp near Farwell's and Solomon's trading posts with a party of 200 or more Assiniboine Indians.
    The story goes that the wolf hunters suspected the Assiniboine of stealing their horses. This was never proven one way or the other. What is certain is that the whiskey
    flowed freely that night among everyone present. Early in the morning, according to reports, the wolf hunters attacked the Assiniboine camp, leaving up to thirty dead,
    including one wolf hunter, and many wounded. The following day Farwell's and Solomon's posts were burned down.
    No one was ever officially found guilty of wrongdoing. Moreover, on their return to Fort Benton, the wolf hunters were regaled as heroes.
    This affront fired anti-American feeling in the Canadian press. By the time the story reached the halls of Parliament, the number of dead had climbed to 200 Assiniboine,
    plus countless wounded and raped.
    ^By the end of May, the legislation to establish a police force was passed by Parliament. By August, the force was budgeted. By September, recruitment was underway.
    By October, the members were trudging westward.
    This was the North West Mounted Police, later to be renamed the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. They brought the rule of law to the Canadian prairies. Whiskey trade was virtually eliminated overnight. The Mounties also helped secure peace treaties with the prairie tribes, thus opening the way to settlement of the Canadian western provinces.
    Little more than two decades later, the Mounties would also take the rule of law to the Klondike gold fields.

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

And the Avro was a cool looking plane to.

Sorry for my country's actions btw. A military strong Canada is good thing, especially in today's world. You guys should have made them anyway methinks.

7. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

Meh.
    It's pointless to hold grudges from the 1950s against Presidents who are long dead. Anyways, I'm more angry at the Prime Minister of the time for meakly caving-in. Sucking up to America is a neccessary thing when you're in Canada's position, but I don't think it should be the core of our policy.
    I just think it's kind of funny that so many American policy wonks today get after us for not having a stronger military.
    I agree we should have built it anyways.

8. aaron_burr

aaron_burr Adirondack Margrave

You should make his king unit, and have him do a jig like he did behind the queen. ;)

9. Corvex

Corvex Emperor of Canada

I agree.
    I'd rather have Trudeau on my money than the queen anyways.

10. Cataphrak

Cataphrak Knight of RPG

I really think that peacekeepers would have made a good UU replacing Mech infantry, with +1 movement, +4 attack and to calm one resistor in a recently conquered city, not only does it work better than the RCMP (who really aren`t so great) it will send a message to everyone saying, even though the Canadian armed forces are mostly peacekeepers, their role is the same: to kill people and blow up stuff (although for realism we could have it break down every other turn due to mechanical faliure)

11. MinosTheBlack

MinosTheBlack Chieftain

thank you i been waiting for a really good Canadian mod

:worship:
    :worship:

12. god_43

god_43 Chieftain

i have ver. 1.22 of conquests, and when i was able to build the uu mounties. i got an error message that said somthing like: missing animti01_predicons ...... somthing like that any way i need help thank you.

13. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

I replaced the correct file, now the Montie works well, u just need download again the first file, it has 1,5 mega, the link is in the first post.
    Try and say me if it works, here it worked, the error was I uploaded the wrong file to CFC server :blush:
    BTW: I'll re-do the Cave Man unit and re-do the Neanderthal leaderhead, just when I do that I'll join them :)

BTW2: Now the civ uses the real Mountie, no more Bandit :D

14. god_43

god_43 Chieftain

THANK YOU so much civ army u r really ngood when it comes too support. i love all of your stuff keep up the good work. your fan always GOD_43!!!! :goodjob:

15. god_43

god_43 Chieftain

i thought that this would work but i gess not it crashed when i biult the unit.
    i have attached the error message. and yes i started a new game and deleted the file and out it back.

Attached Files:

16. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

The text file "pediaicons.txt" needs an addition. Open it up and scroll to almost the bottom, ie to where the lines look similar to the ones below. You need to add these two lines:
    #ANIMNAME_PRTO_mountie
    mountie

If that doesn't work, try spelling mountie with a capital "M" or combinations of one with a capital "M" and one with a small "m" - they have to match files elsewhere.

17. god_43

god_43 Chieftain

those lines are alredey there and the capitol thing does not work

18. god_43

god_43 Chieftain

and i installed it right i followd your how to install guide so umm ya. i know what im doing. plz help

19. CivArmy s. 1994

CivArmy s. 1994 Deity

God43, I think u must re-start your game :( , I tried the Mountie in my Civ and it works, i really don't know where the error is. :(

20. god_43

god_43 Chieftain

well ...... i did restart my game and all of that. nut i juuuust re did my computer so ill give it another go. ty