Prinz Eugen

onejayhawk

Afflicted with reason
This is a short clip from a story that passes through Kwajalein Island in equatorial Pacific Ocean. The pic is real and not from the story.

Presently, we passed out of sight of the big island. Glenda expounded on the fish life in the lagoon and how it was different from the ocean side. After a while, we came upon the resting place of a famous German warship, the Prinz Eugen. Sean explained that it had steamed out with the Bismark on the battleship's only voyage. Even I had heard of the Bismark.

The ship rested top down on a slope. The hull looked like giant rusted knife, stuck edge up in the lagoon floor. The nose disappeared in the depths, but the rear stuck out of the water, with the propeller entirely dry. From a distance it looked unimpressive. As we pulled closer, a gull spread its wings, giving me a scale. Each of the three blades was wider than I was tall.

Germany lost the war and the Prinz Eugen. After the war, the US Navy used the cruiser to evaluate the effects of atomic bomb blasts. The bombs did not sink the Prinz, but it became too irradiated to salvage. A small leak went unrepaired until the ship capsized and sank. That was 1946. It still sits in shallow seawater doing what radioactive things do. One popular T-shirt says "Prinz Eugen Diver." There were too many levels of irony to sort.

Sink the Bismarck!

B&W film made in 1960 is about the British hunt for it... They sank her sister ship Tirpitz in a Norwegian harbor I think. The Prinz Eugen apparently led the Bismarck into the battle with the Hood and Prince of Wales. I read the ship was at Bikini Atoll. Brinks back memories of my model building days.

Come visit the wreck of the Prinz Eugen and feel the glow!

I wonder how somebody with English as native language pronounces Eugen...

I think Eugen is pronounced oigen, I kinda remember that from the movie. The Prinz Eugen was leading the Bismarck and may have initially been mistaken by the Brits and they started shooting at it while the Bismarck was able to start shelling them without incoming

My instinct was “YOO-JIN”. Like “Eugene” but with a Schwa instead of a long e.

from my own native Dutch it would also be wrong :)
something like øːɣən and not oi:gən

careful with that axe eugen
the movie got it right...watching the Hood blow up was... well, I can understand why only 3 men survived
Remember the Battle of Jutland, when Beatty's battlecruisers repeatedly blew up because of the Royal Navy's decision to prioritize speed and armament over protection, combined with an institutional toleration of unsafe ammunition storage and loading practices?

Yeah, that never came back to bite anybody in the butt.

careful with that axe eugen

Remember the Battle of Jutland, when Beatty's battlecruisers repeatedly blew up because of the Royal Navy's decision to prioritize speed and armament over protection, combined with an institutional toleration of unsafe ammunition storage and loading practices?

Yeah, that never came back to bite anybody in the butt.
With brilliance like that across multiple areas of society, it makes you wonder how bad at empire-building everyone else was that the British of all people ended up ruling a quarter of the world.

The justification was that battlecruisers would be fast enough to run away from anything they couldn't sink.

Top Bottom