1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Privacy Round Two: Your Computer or Your Bed & Bath

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LucyDuke, May 2, 2008.

?

See OP.

1. I'd keep my bedroom and bathroom privacy and let the gubmint watch me on the computer.

39.0%
  2. I'd keep my computer privacy and let the gubmint watch me in the bedroom and bathroom.

61.0%
  1. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Hey everybody, it's silly hypothetical time again!

The last thread was rather a landslide where nearly everyone would let the gubmint into their car before their computer.

How about your bedroom and bathroom?

Now we'll say there's some way the gubmint could fit cameras and audio recorders in your bedroom and your bathroom, they can see everything that goes on, from you on the potty to you in the shower to you shaving your bidness, they can watch while you sleep and listen while you have sex. They can see what pills you take, how long you primp in front of the mirror, and what you hide in your sock drawer. They can't necessarily look under the covers, but they have got night-vision in the cameras. They promise that none of that information would be used unless you commit a crime, but even if you do nothing wrong, they'll still have it.

If you had to sacrifice your privacy in one of those, which one would you allow the gubmint to record?

Even if it is, assume that your computer is not in your bedroom (or bathroom, you weirdo). Allowing them in your bedroom will not allow them in your computer.

Replacing or using a different computer won't get the gubmint out, as they've gotten into all of them. They've got cameras in every bedroom and bathroom, so sleeping in someone else's bed won't help. You can't just sleep on the sofa in your living room, or that'll count as a bedroom and they'll get in there. You can't disable the monitors. Don't try anything clever!

And yes, I'd join the riots too. But this is a silly hypothetical! In silly hypothetical, there are no riots!

A. I'd keep my bedroom and bathroom privacy and let the gubmint watch me on the computer.
    B. I'd keep my computer privacy and let the gubmint watch me in the bedroom and bathroom.

Poll'll be up in a minute.

2. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

They'll get into my bath over my warm prune-wrinkled fingers!

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Bed and bath - if the governmenet is going to snoop, might as well gross them out while they are doing it.

4. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

How about neither?

5. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

My bathrooms are clean and hold no information. You may get an eyefull of random sink sex or shower sex and my massive dumps. My computer holds personal and private data that the gov. has no right to with out probable cause.

6. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I voted to keep my car privacy last time, so this one's a no-brainer...

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'd keep my computer privacy, as I'm a certified exhibitionist.

8. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

What about those of us who have a computer in their bedroom?

9. LucyDuke

You assume!

10. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

LD, is there something you're trying to tease out of us, or are you just asking for the hell of it?

11. LucyDuke

I don't have some hidden agenda, no. I think I was in my car when the first question occurred to me, or maybe I was using my computer. I don't remember. I was just curious about in which space people were most protective of their privacy. So I tried to flesh it out a little, and asked. When the results were so dramatically in favor of computer privacy, I thought I'd like to compare that against physical locations that are typically considered very private, the toilet and the bedroom, rather than the semi-private car. I've got a few more iterations I might try, if it stays interesting.

12. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Hmm. So what did you vote? (On both.)

13. LucyDuke

I'd give the gubmint complete access into my car before my computer.

I'm still thinking about this one, hoping some people make interesting cases for one versus the other. Kneejerk, I think I'd say take the computer and I'll keep the bedroom and bathroom, but I'm not perfectly sure.

14. bhsup

bhsup Chieftain

No brainer. Bathroom and bedroom privacy FTW. Humanity survived without computers for thousands of years, and I managed to for almost 20 (if you don't count the TI-99/4A) years. I could re-adjust to a live without any priviledged information being on a computer.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

You can all watch me shower if you want, for $9.99 each.

When I'm playing civ though.. I require an elaborate veil of secrecy and privacy.

16. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

information stays private unless I commit a crime? They can have my bedroom, I don't plot any criminal acts in there. It's not like there's much I do in either bedroom or bathroom that would catch much of anybody's eye. Electronic free speech? The government can do some damage with that one.

17. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Personal privacy is more important to me. So no snipping in my bedroom and bath. The only thing I do with my PC is play Oblivion, Civ IV and browse CFC, so no problem for me.

18. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

No brainer as I use this computer to break the law all the time.

19. Lloyd_Bonafide

Lloyd_Bonafide Chieftain

I'd rather let them look at my computer, all they'll find is I have an unhealthy obsession with ordering beef jerky online, as opposed to my more deviant smoking habits in my room.

20. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I'll just make them jealous or want me, when I'm in the shower.