Private Servers: Should they be legal?

carmen510

Deity
For those of you who don't know, private servers are servers which are usually the game they serve, World of Warcraft for example, and sometimes add a lot more drops.

Most of these private servers are using part of the game's source code, but some of it is made from scratch and some is modified, which is why bugs are common on these servers.

Technically, they should be illegal, but people can get around the copyright, because they are saying it was their idea. You can't copyright ideas, of course. Also, private servers HAVE to be free, or else the original creators of the game can sue.

So, do you think private servers should be legal? And state why please.

Most of these private servers are using part of the game's source code, but some of it is made from scratch and some is modified, which is why bugs are common on these servers.

Is this post a joke? This section in particular.

Also, private servers HAVE to be free, or else the original creators of the game can sue.

Oops, wrong. You can charge someone for access to your server, just not resell the game.

Your wording makes me wonder if you have any idea what your talking about.

I've heard of these servers, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed. I beleive that all games should be moddable and mods should be free (although if someone has put an ubelievable amount of work (like Garys Mod) then charging a small fee is their choice, I havn't bought GMOD10 yet, but if it's better than the free GMOD9, it must be worth the $10.)

It's possible to set up a private WoW server although it's very illegal and very difficult to find info as to how to set it up. Although there are plenty of YouTube videos documenting how to do it where Blizzard's word miners can't distinguish.

Is this post a joke? This section in particular.

Oops, wrong. You can charge someone for access to your server, just not resell the game.

Your wording makes me wonder if you have any idea what your talking about.

1. They recode most of the game, but there are still many bugs to be fixed.

2. Erm... You can't charge them access, because most of these servers can work on the trial version, which you may download for free. If they do charge a fee, Blizzard can sue, for profiting off their property.

Actually, the original copyright owner can sue even if you don't charge. They are just a little less likely, since they aren't likely to get damages (although they can attempt to shut you down).

If you use any (repeat any) of the original server's code, you will lose the court case. The only way you might win is if you totally reverse-engineered it without the original code.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnetd if you are bored.

@azzaman: For your sake, please delete that comment. You wouldn't want an Alliance of Hordes marching up to your door and burning your house to the ground. :mischief:

He is right still.

1. They recode most of the game, but there are still many bugs to be fixed.

2. Erm... You can't charge them access, because most of these servers can work on the trial version, which you may download for free. If they do charge a fee, Blizzard can sue, for profiting off their property.

You can run private servers for any other type of game. Why is WoW different? Except for the part where they may not be selling the actual game, but instead access, so you couldnt actually host a server. And if it is illegal, why have i played on private servers? Not for WoW, but other games i have played the full version on a private server. You would think if its illegal, i would have heard of it from someone before now.

@Cataphract It was an example. :p

@Good They are pretty prone to you being dropped off the server, most have 2000 player user caps and drop off people when the server is full and someone wants to play. Also, some bugs with graphics and quests need to be fixed. If you can stand this, then it is a good alternative to $15 a month. Not to mention, some private servers have x10 or x100 drops, which means you could get 1 silver and 90 copper from that level 2 humanoid. :smug:

Are private servers on WoW any good anyways?

If you're talking about going to a server someone is hosting, I wouldn't know as I've never tried. But if you were hosting it yourself, you'd probably miss people talking and chatting and the availability of green armor seems to be dependent on how many players bother to put stuff on the auction house unless you're satisfied with standard armor and weapons.

If you BOUGHT the CLIENT then yes.
Theres plenty of Free mmos out there anyway

Private servers are not illegal. You don't pay to play the game online, you pay to use the companies servers which are regulated very well.

This brings the annoying question of Xbox live onto the table. As you pay to use your xbox as a server over your connection. And they still charge you for stuff that should be free. It is a complete rip off and the world should challenge Microsoft.

Don't worry. I'm sure some riled-up Sony/Nintendo fanboys will point this out, perhaps a diehard Xbox Live fan who sues Microsoft for being a monopoly of the Xbox Live market. :p

If I could afford the type of lawyers I needed. I would.

Top Bottom