1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Privateers seem quite powerfull

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by SantaX, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

Thanks, Thalassicus!! I appreciate the response - that was very helpful - thanks for taking the time to show me how the whole blockading thing works!

2. negyvenketto

negyvenketto Scientist

Another nice effect of the pillaging is starvation :)
    Just cut all the fishing nets and you can weaken your enemy even in peace time :p

3. Zetetic Apparat

Zetetic Apparat Warlord

One thing I believe Thalassicus got wrong. You only get the money from Privateers if you're not at war with the Civ whose cities you're blockading. Really, you should get money from every blockade, regardless of ship or war/peace.

4. jeffreyac

Oh, so if I'm blockading a civ I'm at war with, there's no gold gained? hmmmm...

Oh, and I forgot to ask - can you blockade civs you're at war with using regular (flagged) naval units, and get the gold gain that way? Or is the blockade function unique to privateers?

5. Saluki

Saluki Chieftain

You can see the affected area by selecting the blockading ship on the turn after you start the blockade.

6. Lurking Liu

Lurking Liu Prince

I think the AI builds Privateers, but we just don't see them because they get smashed too quickly. At least in my games, I tend to rule my continent's ocean, but the other continents have two or three civs building navies. As a result, were the AI to send a flotilla of Privateers out, it'd get smashed as soon as it got within 4-6 tiles of another Civ.

7. Aneurism

Aneurism Prince

cool thanks!

8. the_elf

the_elf Warlord

The ability to plunder the trade routes and turn them into cash is unique to Privateers. If you think about it, you've got pirates collecting "booty" on the Privateers, and naval seamen cutting strategic trade routes on the Frigates. The seamen don't have the liberty of plundering the booty as they are disiplined troops...not scallywags. :D

9. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

Right on... Privateers are basicly state-employed pirates that "loot booty" for the government. They let ships in and out of ports, but not without getting raided. When you blockade a port with a Frigate, your troops would be trained to sink anything that tries to get through the blockade... thus, no booty.

10. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Most , if not all ships other than workboats can blockade, however, only privateers put money in your treasury each turn. Privateers can't bombard that's the trade-off.

It makes sense in that privateers exist to turn a profit. Warships exist to carry out orders. In a blockade that might mean blowing ships out of the water instead of being drawn off station in a chase to board and capture intact. That might mean burning a captured ship when you don't have enough crew to both send it home safely and continue to perform your mission.

It makes for some great gameplay.

11. Spiceweasel

Spiceweasel Warlord

In my current game, most of the nations are getting along pretty well, so there's been almost no war. I made a point to hunt enough with privateers to get one to level 6, so I'd be able to build West Point eventually. (Of course, having a Combat 4, Medic 1, Navigation 1 destroyer around is certainly nice.)

12. SantaX

SantaX Chieftain

Hehe that is precisely what happened to me yesterday, and why I started this thread. In the end I had 12 privateers, most of them had 8 promotions lol. I must have sunken around 100 ships with them, they got me 3 Great generals before finally being sunk by a stack of frigates. But the pay off was huge. I did not use them to block btw, i didn't know that was possible, then again, I think the payoff was way bigger with all the lost hammers for the opponents with me sinking their ships and pillaging every sea-food tile they had lol.

Still i'm going to mod them down. Not sure if it it is possible, but it would be nice if there where at least a chance of being discovered. I mean, enemy sinks your ship
    stuf comes floating up from the sunken ship
    'hey, is that seamap written in Dutch?"
    -1 we have reason to believe you have supported privateers

13. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

Yeah, thanks a lot.

The equal-tech problem seems to appear as soon as only one civ gets frigates. They tend to hunt down privateers. So I suppose you have to sink a lot of galleys, caravels and galleons to get the promotions, before fortifying a large stack of privateers in the right spot. This way the AI should need a lot of 8-strength frigates to kill 6-strength privateers. But is it worth it?

Using privateers while playing equally strong civs (and that’s what I prefer) seems difficult.

14. Spearthrower

Spearthrower Thrower of spears

I've mostly been using my privateers to destroy enemy navies and marine expansion, and running from frigates.

In the most recent Extra Marathon game, all AI's were without fish, crabs, whales and clams for at least 200 turns - I b-lined for privateers and built a large number (nothing like the 160 or whatever above!) - maybe 50 - 60 of them - and completely dominated the sea. The AI first went for astronomy, sent galleons out to claim islands.... but my privateers gobbled them all up.

By the time frigates arrived on the scene in large numbers, my fleet of privateers were highly promoted and could stand their ground for a good while. Eventually, I obsoleted my privateer fleet, sent them all back to be refitted (some were level 6!) and let the AI back onto the seas again!

Very novel play style, I dont think I've ever spent so long managing boats as on my last game! I'd actually like to see more non-national units like this, they dont need to be strong, their strength is in their ability to blur war and peace.

15. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

Spearthrower; that sounds a fun beeline. I'll try the Privateer-beeline on a map with plenty of islands rather than the Liberalism - Nationhood - Gunpowder / Rifling beeline I favour for drafting a big army at present. A big navy sounds just as much fun :D By the way do privateers get WW when they attack? I guess not. And do they give WW when they're attacked or make attacks against a civ you are at war with? They probably do.

Strategically it seems to me that if you've made the Privateer-beeline you can make a large fleet of privateers to scout out where your rivals are and to harass them without the cost and diplomatic complications of war. But you can back that effort up with your own fleet of galleons and frigates that can either settle and defend your own colonies or can attack and capture AI colonies after declaring war. Once at war there is no reason why some of the privateers should not be used to back up your frigates in naval battles. That way they help give naval superiority in wars until frigates become a widespread technology when they can go back to base and wait to be upgraded to highly promoted destroyers which will again give massive naval superiority and another pulse of colonial wars and expansion.

That's going to be the basis of my next game I think ;)

16. Mehmed II

Mehmed II Ottoman Empire

Privateers are dangerous for galleons.

17. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

I guess I should read more of Patrick O'Brian as I don't know the specifics, but much of what I've heard of frigates was that they frequently captured ships for prize money, sending a skeleton crew back with the ship to the home country. Little more than privateers, the difference being they were officially recognized.

It was ships of the battle line that were involved more in direct fleet action, being too slow to chase down ships for capture. I could be completely wrong though, it's my friend who's reading more of O'Brian's historical novels.

That'd odd, but good to know. I wonder why that is the case? The money from blockading is so marginal it doesn't seem it would be a game balance issue.

18. jeffreyac

I'd like to hire scallywags to crew my destroyers and battleships... :cool:

King of the Pirate Isles has a nice ring to it...

19. hoopsnerd

hoopsnerd Prince

Yes, I am sure that that is historicly accurate that Frigates frequently plundered enemy ships and sent them home... I believe that most ships of the era were actually considered "frigates," even the "privateers."

For the civilization game-mechanics part though, it makes sense that ships blockading a port don't get to loot. Also, how many trade ships are going to continue to attempt to sail through the blockade of a rival nations navy? Taking your chances with pirates is one thing, but sailing into a naval blockade is suicide.

20. the_elf

the_elf Warlord

:lol:

I think I'm going to have to start naming my Privateers pirate names. "Blackbeard," "Steve The Pirate," "Captain Cook," "Jack Sparrow." Or, perhaps, name them pirate ship names like "The Black Pearl." :lol: