1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pro strategy tip for playing Assyria

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Laurwin, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Laurwin

Laurwin Prince

1. Build siege tower Unique unit (or units)

2. capture cities

3. ????

4. profit

5. Upgrade the siege tower unique unit into artillery

6. enjoy +200% effectiveness vs cities ARTILLERY (kept from siege tower)

7. capture cities

8. ????

9. profit even more... :D

2. Fluffyburrito

Fluffyburrito Chieftain

In my understanding you don't keep that passive unless it's a promotion.

3. Resipsa

Resipsa King

Well on some units unique passives last on others they don't for example Maori warriors passive transfers with both unit line promos and the spear promotion from ancient ruins.

4. Fluffyburrito

Fluffyburrito Chieftain

That's because it's a free promotion.

After a quick google search siege towers work the same way. They will keep the cover 1 promotion they get for free but that's it.

5. anthropophage

anthropophage Warlord

Artillery get 200% effectiveness against cities as a default.

6. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

If you leave one siege tower unpromoted, you can give your artillery that benefit, but it's not worth it. Siege towers will be immediately targeted and die that late in the game even if you have wounded meatshields nearby. And artillery typically have +250% already, so another +50% is a drop in the bucket.

However, Siege Towers definitely boost CBs, XBs, and melee units up to a point. If I recall, they start getting one-shotted around t125-135. But before that, they make your CB rush/XB rush go super well. And you can still use them to deal death blows. I usually retire them to a support role when I get Machinery.

7. Laurwin

Laurwin Prince

aahh dude! I thought I had a good strat going on but IT SEEMS MY ARTY SIMPLY WORKD BETTER BECAUSE WEAKER CITIES. Not becuz of promotion.:dunno:

8. Zabadanov

Zabadanov Chieftain

Always wage war, from the moment you produce first siege tower, take only capitals, everything else raze and sell buildings, later resettle, Assyria is non stop action!

9. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

After getting writing, grab the few techs that you need to improve your lands, and b-line techs for composite bows and siege towers. You can usually get a settler or two out too. Prepare to go to war by turn 70-90.

10. Zabadanov

Zabadanov Chieftain

I play in such a way right now, huge map, continent, diety, marathon, 4 city tradition, + capitals, all puppets for now, happiness sake, plenty beakers, plenty free tech, strong army, happiness is not an issue because you keep only capitals, only flaw of this tactic is kinda low infrastructure and no religion.

11. iconocast

iconocast Prince

i wouldnt mind some discussion on how to get a cultural Vic with Assyria thru aggression as im thinking there royal libs could help with this, or is it better to have one large capital that is producing ur tourism?