Probability of AI Using Nuclear Weapons

burfmeister31

Chieftain
So with BNW I have moved up to emperor difficulty level and I am pretty late in the game. I'm ranked second in military power (a huge fleet on an archipelago map) and I'm going for a domination victory as Indonesia. There are only two capitals left, the other two civs to have gone order in addition to myself. I have never been to the point where an AI had nuclear weapons and I wanted to attack them, I can see Babylon has 4 atomic bombs. I have the tech but no uranium to build atomic weapons of my own.

Question: How likely is it that Babylon will use his nuclear weapons on me if I attack? I suppose I can spread my battleships out so all don't get lost with a single strike but should I attack now or try to go after the only other non-atomic power left and come back later for babylon with my own atomic weapons?

Update...

I rolled the dice hoping Babylon wouldn't nuke my fleet... and he didn't. I was able to wear down Babylon itself with my 7 or so battleships in about 6-7 turns (it had about 150 defense) and was able to take it quite easily with a destroyer.

Before I declared war on Nebby though I bought all the uranium Monty had, gave up quite a bit but it didn't break my back. Proceeded to build nukes in my home cities. After taking Babylon Nebby asked for peace and I quickly granted it, then started moving my fleet into position against Monty. About 5 turns later my nukes are on a carrier. 3 turns later Monty's capital is mine.

Game Over.

I'm not sure if Babylon will use them (never really got to late game where they had the tech) but if you have a big fleet I'm sure he probably will. I don't know if AI's strike plain ocean though (with a nuke). I'd say go for the non-atomic power, get uranium and nuke the atom bomb home city.

I think the AI is more likely to nuke cities than units. I think MadDjinn said it in one of his videos once. But that was in GnK. So I don't know if the AI is more likely to use nukes now.

I think the AI is more likely to nuke cities than units. I think MadDjinn said it in one of his videos once. But that was in GnK. So I don't know if the AI is more likely to use nukes now.

I've definitely seen the AIs use nukes on each other, but yeah, they seem to use it on cities more often, even if it would be more beneficial to hit a massive army with it.

The AIs each have a flavor that determines how likely they are to use nukes. Its in a nice spreadsheet on this board actually. I have it so I will share the civs most likely to nuke ( 7 or higher I am going to use)

Gandhi: 12
Cathy,Monty,Washington, Nebu,Atilla, Shaka: 8
Genghis, Ashurnipal: 7

So yes, Babylon would probably nuke you.

Update...

I rolled the dice hoping Babylon wouldn't nuke my fleet... and he didn't. I was able to wear down Babylon itself with my 7 or so battleships in about 6-7 turns (it had about 150 defense) and was able to take it quite easily with a destroyer.

Before I declared war on Nebby though I bought all the uranium Monty had, gave up quite a bit but it didn't break my back. Proceeded to build nukes in my home cities. After taking Babylon Nebby asked for peace and I quickly granted it, then started moving my fleet into position against Monty. About 5 turns later my nukes are on a carrier. 3 turns later Monty's capital is mine.

Game Over.

The AIs each have a flavor that determines how likely they are to use nukes. Its in a nice spreadsheet on this board actually. I have it so I will share the civs most likely to nuke ( 7 or higher I am going to use)

Gandhi: 12
Cathy,Monty,Washington, Nebu,Atilla, Shaka: 8
Genghis, Ashurnipal: 7

So yes, Babylon would probably nuke you.

Here it is for anyone that hasn't seen it:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• civ5 personalities.png
    civ5 personalities.png
    466.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Wow, that's kind of weird that Gandhi has a love of nukes?

I was gonna post about this too -- Have you ever had an AI Civ go all nuclear holocaust on you
or another AI? Attempting to turn another CIV into the wastelands of the Fallout universe?

Gandhi with the highest use nuke modifier is a running gag from the developers. :lol:

Maria I use nuke is only 5 eh? No doubt due the random modifier that adds or subtracts 1 or 2 to each modifier. The Maria I that I played with probably had a use Nuke score of 7. She constantly nuked me, in one of my games as Bismark. I still ended up winning but it was devastating and made me consider retiring that game...

I've had entire back regions of my empires nuked out hard, always sucks when they get the important lux and strat resources.

When I see Gandhi has finished the Manhattan Project, I make very nice with him and preemptively nukes his massive cities down to 1 pop :)

AIs make quite extensive use of nukes, but they aren't worth worrying about. AIs only ever nuke cities, they don't think to nuke armies, and they don't follow up by invading (and often nuke targets they couldn't reach if you wanted to). So you just get a population hit that's probably irrelevant by that stage if you're already winning domination, and a lot of fallout.

I was gonna post about this too -- Have you ever had an AI Civ go all nuclear holocaust on you
or another AI? Attempting to turn another CIV into the wastelands of the Fallout universe?

I've only had AI's nuke me after I nuked them. Generally, I think the AI is more tentative about using its nukes if it sees you have some.

I HAVE seen an AI vs. AI holocaust. In my last game, Ashurbanipal and Gustavus were tossing nukes back and forth like it was a game of hot potato.

Joke from Civ 1. Adopting Democracy would make Ghandi's warmonger flavor drop to -1, thereby bugging it and maxing out his aggression.

Of course, real world Ghandi had a great love for nukes too. He really wasn't the peaceful type, just knew what kind of revolution would work against a far flung democracy in a time when empire was going out of style anyways.

Top Bottom