Probably dumb question, but -- can we fix multiplayer?

draknor

Chieftain
I'm new to the realm of Civ modding (though I've got some programming background), and I just started looking at the SDK. Got me thinking - it looks like (from a very brief skim) all the netcode is in there, so [theoretically] couldn't talented programmers in the mod community "fix" the various MP issues (desyncs, etc) that so often seem to be reported?

I'm assuming it's not that simple (ha!) or it'd have already been done, so I'm just curious if it's been attempted? I've got 3 guesses:
1. Sounds like it's a real PITA to get any kind of mod working over MP, so that would make it very difficult to "fix" MP code
2. It's really hard and/or sync bugs are really sneaky
3. Not all / enough of the network code is actually available in the DLL/SDK

(FWIW - my friends and I haven't played Civ V in awhile, but MP definitely had its hiccups when we did play. From recent forum messages, sounds like MP still isn't rock-solid, which is really too bad! Rumors are that BE also has stability issues, although I haven't tried BE MP yet)

That's a bummer! I'll have to look closer at it; I saw some network & syncing stuff, but it looked pretty simplistic - figured there must be more heavy-lifting code somewhere else, but didn't dig into it enough yet...

Thanks for the reply! Browsed your website & some of your tutorials - looks like your deity title is well-deserved :)

Top Bottom