1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem on Game Start as of today - no understanding why

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by assuredgrp, Feb 25, 2017.

1. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

I have been playing Civ 6 for about 4 months now without incident, other than the rare but occasional system crash when having graphics tweaked out to far for my card (which is not the problem now). I came back today, and cannot seem to Load a saved game, nor resume. I also cannot start a new game - it begins setup, says starting game, then ejects me back to the main menu (same issue when I try to load a game). I have not run an update, but I think Steam changed something as I have a notice about an "Australian Update" at the bottom of the screen, and when I went into the Additional Content (Mods), that screen was different and had additional items enabled that I had not enabled due to conflicts. But even after disabling the conflicting mods, I still cannot start any type of game at all. Nothing. Does anyone have any helpful info? Perhaps I can roll back whatever Steam did to mess up my ability to lay the game?

2. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

Update: I have discovered the problem occurs when using the Test of Time (1003) mod. If I turn it off, I can start a new game. If it is enabled, even if it is the only mod enabled, I get the return to main menu I mentioned instead of the game starting. Very strange since I had been running since the Dec 21 update almost daily without a problem. So what changed today?

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The patch and new DLC that Steam downloaded for you is what happened. You won't be able to play your former mods until the mod authors update them for the new patch. (Since mod authors aren't given advance copies of patches, they can only make changes to their mods after the patches are publicly released).

4. assuredgrp

assuredgrp Chieftain

Does anyone have any clue if it is possible to uninstall the latest patch and DLC so I can continue to use this mod, until the mod is updated?

When we start using a mod like Test of Time that we wind up falling in love with, it changes the game experience for us in such a positive way, we cannot go back. It would be like playing Civ 5 or 4 or 3 again. Once you go to a new version, it seems we never go back. When a patch comes out and Steam uploads it without choice, and gives us no opportunity to uninstall the patch - it is the equivalent of Firaxis deciding to alter the game to the worse without giving their customers an option to say "no thanks". It is just wrong. I hope Firaxis sees and heeds this request which I am sure is shared by many to make patches optional, and also reversible so that their customer has a choice of the new patch or mods they liked, until the mod maker can create an update for the new patch (if they so decide to). So Firaxis, any chance you'll give us an option to roll-back this mod killing patch? Comments welcome...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2017