1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem: One civilization sees the moves of another

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Asjo, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

Dear me, I hope this is the last problem I will have in the making of this scenario.

What things can you guys list that allows one player to see the moves of another?

I have made a medieval Warlords scenario which I thought was complete until I discovered, testing with the Chinese, that one player could see all the moves of another.

The Chinese are able to see all Japanese cities. The Japanese cannot see a thing of the Chinese. First I thought it was related to them having the same religion (taoism) and both having holy the wonder of their religion, so I removed the one from Japan. Later I tried removing the one from China as well and even making sure none of the players had a holy city. No effect. Then I thought maybe I had, by mistake, made one player the vassal of another and the game was stuck in this mode. So I tried making China a vassal of Japan and removing this again - still no effect. So, I don't have much of an idea what could cause this. If need me, I'll gladly post the worldbuilder save.

2. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

are you doing this for BtS?
    if yes, probably chinese have too much spy points which automatically make opponent cities visible...

3. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

No, sorry not to have pointed that out. It's in the Warlords expansion.

Two other things I thought could have done it:

- Teams ... but then they shouldn't be able to declare war and the Japanse should see the Chinese.

- Spionage ... but I don't know that I spy can do such a thing permanently.

It's really bad, since it makes your turn twice as long for anyone who chooses to play China if you have show enemy/friendly moves on. So, I really hope you guys can help.

I tried to do a "hide all plots", but the Chinese could still see the Japanese moving.

4. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

hmm...maybe something wrong with map? - ie chinese have set that they have reveal map of japan ... check map file for RevealMap options (for civ or team) and/or for TeamReveal tag in plot definitions.....

5. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

Thanks, I didn't know about that. I checked the WorldBuilderSave, though, and didn't find anything unusual.

Have a go if you want, I have attached the file. I don't exactly have a trained eyes, as I'm not sure what to look for.

It's team 1 and 16, but even though I see some plots where TeamReveal is set to both 1 and 16, I'm not really sure what the significance of that is.

Well, actually, I see some cities of Togukawa where Qui Shi Quang can view them as well. I'll try remove everything where 'CityOwner=1'. I would just suspect that this simply means that the tile is not revealed and that is will be when the next turn is taken.

Attached Files:

6. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

I just tested, and the changes I made didn't seem to make any difference. Despite removing team 16 for all Japanese cities, the cities were still reveal when the game started and stayed revealed once the game advanced.

7. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

So, no suggestions? I pretty strapped for time, because my best friend is coming tomorrow to play Civilization IV the whole weekend and I need the final version of the scenario ready for that. Can't let him down :p

8. Asjo

Asjo Warlord

To elaborate on the problem, it doesn't seem team-related. I just did a test-game where I played about 250 turns and then changed the savegame so that I could play with every player and see what they had done. I don't know if it spreads, but Saladin could see several cities from different players spread out around the world somehow. I'm not really sure how that came to. It's just Saladin and Qui Shi Huang, though.