Problem when trying to download Civ 6 in Wine

Ekken

Chieftain
I only have access to OS X right now, so I tried to use both WineBottler and Wineskin Winery to launch the Windows version of Steam. Steam froze when I tried opening another game, so I tried using PlayOnMac. When Steam opens and I try to install Civ 6, it shows the disk space required as 139 MB. The only files that get downloaded are _CommonRedist and DLC, so Civ won't actually launch. Instead it says "failed to start game (missing executable)". I also tried verifying the files and Steam thinks they're fine. Does anybody know how I could fix this?

I have the same problem when trying to play civ 6 on Linux. I tried both a PlayOnLinux install and a straight up wine/winetricks install. Both had the same issue as what Ekken ran into on their Mac.

I've just had the same - I've raised a support ticket with Steam to try and understand why the install is only 139mb. I've done the same with 2K as well. Have either of you guys?

I'll update if I find out any more. It's odd that I haven't seen anybody else complaining about this who aren't trying to do this via Wine. I can only assume that the 139mb is the start of the install process (via Visual C) and Wine can't hack it.

Uhg I'm also having this problem on Windows 10. Looks like it's just installing the DLC? Any solutions yet?

Even if you do get it to download, WINE can't run Civ VI. VI uses Direct3D 11, and WINE only supports up to 9.0c well.

I specifically mean Direct3D; games use different versions of different DirectX components, and in this instance Wine's lack of support for Direct3D 11 is the show-stopper (as it is for an increasing number of new games). CodeWeavers is working on it, but there's no ETA yet as far as I've heard.

I found the solution to the game not downloading: you need to install Steam in a 64bit Wine prefix or it thinks your system can't run the game.

It doesn't change what OneLastTurn said about Direct3D 11: the game starts but only shows a black screen.

Top Bottom