1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with city radio

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by haladwin, Jan 20, 2020.

1. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

Hello comunity. I'm new here. I AM from Argentina and first of all i may Say "sorry for My english"

I need tour help. I Made a scenario from ww2. The issue is that i put the cities in the place i wanted. I click properties and put the cities culture un 1000000 ( the max. admited)
    I was happy with the city radio. Butttt. When i test the scenario, some cities are taken by the enemy in the warmness of the battle. I noticed that, when this happen, the city radio drop down drastically yo the min.
    I need to know how to maintain the cities radio of influence static, regardless who is the owner.
    Thanks you. I'll wait for your help

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

Welcome to CivFanatics!
    In the editor you can select "Scenario", then "Scenario Properties" and tick the box "Retain Culture on Capture". I haven't actually tried this myself, but this should let the cultural value (and thus the city radius) stay unchanged when a rival civilization capture a city.

3. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

Thanks you Jorsalfare!!!. I'm feeling some stupid right now. It was a simple check box issue. Thanks you very much. I hope it was the right place for this question.

4. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

You're welcome!
    And Yes... - this is the right place for questions regarding game modifications (modding).
    Sigurd.

5. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

Another question:
    How can i restrict the construction of a unit to the previuous construction of a specific building in the country. I tried creating a building with the "produce units" flag checked, but this is not what i´am looking for.
    I need something similar to the "Allow construction of Nuclear Devices" from the Manhatan Proyect, but i want to allow the construction of another type of units.
    I dont know if its possible, but i hope you have an answer.
    Thank you again.
    Haladwin

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Haladwin, the 'allows construction of nuclear devices-flag' used in the Manhattan Project is the only setting in the editor, that allows a general construction of a special kind of units with the special flag ('Nuclear weapon') after construction the Manhattan Project. There is only one other flag in the editor, that allows a normal construction of a special kind of units, but only in the city where it is built as a small or great wonder: The 'build armies without leaders-flag' for a normal building of armies in that city.

7. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

Hi. Thanks, i supposed that. Ok, i´ll see what i can to do to my porpousse. I´m making a mod that reflect the scence of the Axies & Allies 1942 and its necesary for the special units (Like SS infantry and the YAMATO).
    In the future i hope you can help me again, i´m glad with the forum.
    Grts.

8. Civinator

Haladwin, especially for having the correct "fat" ship with the correct name -but also for all other sorts of producing special WW2 units- the autoproduction by improvements is working very well. Per example for battleships that were produced during WW 2 I took the date when these ships were commissioned and counted the number of turns from the start of that scenario until the date of commission and with this methode I had the battleship Bismarck (and all other battleships that were involved in the European theater) appearing at the (somewhat) correct date in the game. I made the unit producing wonder going obsolete, before it was able to produce another battleship with the name Bismarck.

Attached Files:

9. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

GREAT !!!
    It could be a solution. In the other hand, i deleted all the tech tree in my proyect. I´m a newby and i dont know how to do to make it run properly. In my proyect, i want to use a Resource system to unlock some units. For example, Germany need to take Amsterdam (which is one of the five cities having acces to) to connect with the "science resource". It make them possible to construct the tiger instead the panzer unit (please, forgive my english). I create some others units (like the jet fighter) who need´s 2 our 3 of this "science resource" to unlock the construction for. BUTTTTT. I found that theres no way (here maybe you could help me) to restrict the need to have 3 of a same resource to be able to construct some unit.
    I also have problems with the cities the AI take. I need the destruction of cities to be impossible, cause there is no settlers in my mod and the cities are
    essential for gameplay.
    Theres some way to do this? Am i being annoying with my questions?
    Thak you very much

10. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

I'm unsure if you mean "3 of the same" resources or "3 different" resources, but assuming you meant the latter (3 different), there is a way to achieve this. With Quintillus' editor, you can have 3 resources as a requirement for units. I can recommend this editor, as it allows modifications not possible with Firaxis' editor. Here is the main thread for Quintillus' editor. The download link should be at the bottom of the first post.
    If you meant "3 of the same" resources, I don't know of any way to achieve this.
    Sigurd.

11. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

Regarding the destruction of captured cities, there is a patch that prevents this from happening. It's Antal1987's No-raze patch. This patch also fixes the bug that makes it impossible to have zero pollution in size 3 cities.

...and NO - you're not the least annoying with your questions. Asking questions here at CFC was how many of us learned to mod the game when we were "lost newbies" trying to figure out how to make modifications :).

12. Civinator

During writing an answer I received a note, that Jorsalfare was much quicker than me in answering :thumbsup: so here are mostly some rests of my old post:

Haladwin, your English is as good (or bad :D) as mine. You must not reflect longer about your language, as here are a lot of posters at CFC (like both of us) that don´t have English as their mother language.

Resource systems to unlock units, frequently don´t work really well. Per example one of the most ambitious projects of a WW 2 scenario, SOE, nearly died by using such a system in the first versions, as we stumbled in the - at that time completely unknown - ghost resources bug in the programming of C3C. So normally much better is the system I have shown you in my last post of this thread for producing some limited special - mostly heavy - units in a WW 2 scenario. For normal units in a scenario this is not needed, as here the resource system is working well.

About preventing city razing in scenarios:

If you use preplaced buildings to produce these units and you set them to be wonders, the AI will not raze the city with that wonder (The AI will not raze any cities containing Great Wonders). If you will assure, that such a building can only been built by a special civ, give that civ an era none tech (let´s say Argentine flavour) and set a building, that it only can been built with that special tech for Argentine. Let´s call that building Argentine flag and give that building some culture, so it is razed, when another civ conquers a city with that flag in it. Now you can set any building, coming with any normal tech, to be only buildable by that civ by setting the Argentine flag as a building prerequisite for that other building.

One of the most efficient ways to prevent the razing of cities by the AI, as Jorsalfare posted above, is the so called No Raze Patch. This patch was done by Skyer2 and a downloadable version can be found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/noraze-patch-for-conquests.14557/ . Antal1987 did a lot of very interesting patches, but not that one. All those patches of skyer2, Antal1987 and some No Raze - No city limits - no unit limit patches are based on a 'No CD Patch', done by Firaxis themselves, allowing you also to start a C3C game directly with that patched exe. The No Raze patch is essential for creating most WW2 mods and scenarios.

13. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

Thank you a lot for your help.
    I´m not sure if i got you. You say its imposible, even with the quintillus editor, to have "3 of the same resource" as a requeriment?
    I¨ll be working on it when i have some free time again. Please to meet you and i´ll write you again when i had a question.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  14. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

Hi Jorsalfare and Civinator.
    I was using the quintillus editor. In some point, the map that i open alternatively in the default editor and in the quintillus´s one, crash when i try to open with the default editor
    I dont know which is the problem with but im sure i dont touched anything strange
    My work is nearly compromissed.
    I hope you could help me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  15. Civinator

haladwin, there could be plenty of reasons for such a crash. The Quintillus editor is for C3C and you must use at lest a default C3C editor for also opening such a biq.

Why are you opening a map alternatively in the Quintillus editor and a default C3C editor? If you want to have a map in a biq opened by the Quintillus or a default C3C editor please use the import function in the biq that you have opened in one of those editors.

16. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

I just solved it changing the extension from .biq to .bic and importing the most important tabs i needed. It was a trouble with the resources list. Tanks anyway.
    Is there a way to restrict the production in a city? i want to make a couple of cities where doesn´t be possible to create any unit or building except the one i need to put in there (For example, an airport our a harbor). I tried by creating a building named "no productive city" and asigning to it a -1000 production bonus, but the quintillus editor advice me with a "not safe" window. Do you have any idea how i can to do it?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  17. Civinator

I think here no really convincing methode is existing. You can set a biq, so no buildings can be built and therefore only the preset buildings are existing in a city, but what to do if buildings were razed or bombed away in the city, you can set a civ to focus on some kind of buildings or to never build them, but this is working for the complete civ and not for single cities, the same if governors should focus on production or other options. A different focus in building improvements in a city can also be set by the 'replaces all buildings with that flag' option (in the epic game used for power plants) and in C3C by using flavours. You can use some special buildings as a prerequisite for others.

There are a lot of options and it belongs to your creativity what you think is the best for your scenario or mod - but in most times none of them is completely perfect.

18. haladwin

haladwin Chieftain

The problem with the construction/buildings is just solved. I create a building which is unbuildable(needs a resource that doesnt exist in the map) and a requisite for all the others buildings, and i put it in the cities that i want to be ables to construct. My problem is about the unit creation only, and i understand (or thats what i think) that you say its impossible. Maybe with a negative production bonus our something? What do you think???

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020