1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Converting units from non-civ games

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Osakasayama, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Osakasayama

Osakasayama In decline

I'm trying to convert units from Koei's Warrior Series, using The Coyote's Bone Weight Copy (and nifswaping it later).

I just hated the interface in Blender, so instead I've edited the mesh (to match the base unit) on 3ds Max 10...
    Spoiler :

The problem is, when I export the mesh to blender (to do BWC), the mesh doesn't match up right, even if I move the meshes around.
    Spoiler :

The models I tried with did work in-game, with slightly weird animations in nifscope, although unnoticible while playing.
    Spoiler :

However, leaderheads just get really weird.

Does anyone have an idea on why Blender or Max or something else does that?

Attached Files:

2. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

I would love to help, but I haven't used any Max yet.

How do you adjust the meshes in Max? Do you move the bones so that the new mesh fits to the Civ4 one? Maybe you have to save this modification somehow before you export the mesh. Or maybe you can find something similiar to the Bone Weight Copy function for Max.

If you, against your dislike, would want to try adjusting the meshes with Blender I could try to lead you through the process. I've adjusted quite a number of non-civ models for my leaderheads and units with Blender now.

3. Osakasayama

Osakasayama In decline

I just blindly move the arms and legs in place in max... never touched the original's bones at all.
    Is it possible to do that?

The model itself wasn't even a .nif file, so that didn't have bones like the way civ models do(just strangely packed up in the corner).

To think of it, I think the problem was with saving the files while working, since some of the models did match in blender,
    and I might or might not have not saved the file and reopened it before exporting to nif.

The problem with leaderheads was probably due to inexperience...
    I did managed to do one when I picked a more simpler one.

I think I'm fine with max now... The newer versions of blender don't even install because the infinite "Install pyffi" loop.

4. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Good to hear that you are making progress. :goodjob:

Adjusting the models using the bones is quite handy and fast once you know what you are doing. If the new model has no bones, you can as well fit the Civ4 model to the new model instead the other way round. After the nifswap, the new model should be in the same pose as the Civ4 one since this way you only swap the mesh and not the bones. After all, the mesh always takes the stance the bones give.