1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Diplomatic Victories?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by llamapower, Jul 6, 2012.

1. llamapower

llamapower Chieftain

Is anyone else having problems with Diplomatic Victories?

AUstria lost its capital to Russia in my latest game and i went and freed it for them, but the game didn't give me the option to liberate the city. THen, some turns later, I went and built the UN. I had 18 votes and only needed 10 to win and the game recorded this but didn't give me a victory.

Is this just a bug or what? This is really annoying b/c this game actually took over a week of play :(

thanks in advance!

2. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Warlord

I won a diplomatic game as greece yesterday, I did have to wait for 10 or more turns after I built the UN for the vote to be available though (same as vanilla iirc). Only one capital changed hands in the game though, India picked a fight with me and I took Delhi and a couple of other of his cities as puppets.

Did you actually get to vote, then see the results with you in the winning spot, but the game kept playing? If so does sound like a bug to me.

3. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

Do you have some saves of the game that you can link?

If Austrial is still alive I think you can give them back their capital by trading.

4. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Once you build UN the game shows projected votes. Turns later is the actual vote.

5. llamapower

llamapower Chieftain

I traded it back to them but it didn't give me any diplomatic benefits.

So I thought the victory was automatic after the UN was built. How many turns do I have to wait for the actual voting to be done?

6. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Usually 10 but I don't know if that varies with game speed.

7. Yzman

Yzman Deity

Few things

1. You can only liberate a civ if they are wiped out of the game, I don't believe you can liberate an allies cities like you could in civ4.

2. When you build the UN, it will show you projected votes. A counter will then appear over one of the icons in the top right. On standard it will say 9. When 9 turns pass, the actual vote is counted. You can not vote for yourself.

8. Furycrab

Furycrab King

The capital is only important for the Domination victory.

Liberating an AI civ only applies if it was completely gone from the map. If you then take back one of those cities (assuming you weren't the one that wiped them out), you will have the option to liberate them, which puts them back on the map. Doesn't do much else other than if they survive they must vote for you for the UN.

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't give you the victory is if Diplomatic Victory has been disabled. Otherwise consider sharing the save, could be a bug and Firaxis have been known to read these.

Also this

9. llamapower

llamapower Chieftain

I'll get back to the game tonight and see if anything happens in ten or so turns. Thanks guys

10. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

The game does not give you a popup to liberate the city. You can, however, gift the captured city to the AI via standard diplomacy. This will, of course, have a very positive diplomatic modifier.