Problem with downloading mods from the workshop

GMO

Warlord
This is just another rant about Steam and mods.

Last week suddenly Steam stopped uploading mods even though I subscribed to them.

I subscribed to a mod. Nothing happened. I unsubscribed then re-subscribed but no mods appeared. I deleted my cache but nothing happened - no mods. I tried other things but still no mods.

I then went offline and online with Steam a couple times then the mods started to re-appear again. I don't know why this worked.

Steam and mods sometimes don't mix.

It's very frustrating.

Moderator Action: Moved to C&C and renamed the thread.

I don`t use Steam for Mods. It`s too restricting. I download non-Steam mods that modders are kind enough to make available.

Seriously, it is not freedom or a good thing to have all our Mods restricted to Steam. One day, I fear, all mods will be forced through Steam.

Don`t let it happen, people. Choice is freedom.

Socratatus the workshop is supposed to make modding easy, and no you don't have to use the workshop and I respect your decision, but Valve is not evil, and Gabe Newell is not the devil. Anyways I'm glad you got you mods it can be very frustrating at times.

Socratatus the workshop is supposed to make modding easy, and no you don't have to use the workshop and I respect your decision, but Valve is not evil, and Gabe Newell is not the devil. Anyways I'm glad you got you mods it can be very frustrating at times.

Despite my dislike of Steam I do give it a try to see if it`s any better. So I tried to download a Mod from Steam.

First thing that bothered me: I had to register... Why? I`m already on Steam, it`s how I play Civ5.

Second thing: There was a Patch and the Mod from Steam s vanished and stopped working. All my NON-Steam Mods continued working.

Maybe you don`t remember the days when unrestricted manual Mods were shouted from the rooftops as the ultimate PC freedom, but I do.

I`ll stick with Mods not on Steam.

Despite my dislike of Steam I do give it a try to see if it`s any better. So I tried to download a Mod from Steam.

First thing that bothered me: I had to register... Why? I`m already on Steam, it`s how I play Civ5.

Second thing: There was a Patch and the Mod from Steam s vanished and stopped working. All my NON-Steam Mods continued working.

Maybe you don`t remember the days when unrestricted manual Mods were shouted from the rooftops as the ultimate PC freedom, but I do.

I`ll stick with Mods not on Steam.

Since was modding restricted? As I see it you still have the freedom to mod your game the way you want. I don't see why you hate steam so much? Also registering? Were you not signed into steam? Also the patch disabled many mods over fear of them not being compatible, I believe. Anyways I think were going a bit off topic so let's stick to discussion of steam workshop downloading problems.

Also Whoward I agree with you entirely. The Civ workshop has alot more problems then Skyrim that's for sure.

What ? :confused:

As you said you're already on steam, there is no additional registration to download mods from the workshop.

Now, it would be a great tool if it was working correctly.

For non-technical players it's really easier to have a one click installation procedure.

But as it doesn't always work as it should, it's very time-consuming to provide support to those players as they are non-technical...

Something that's truly integrated into the game UI (and not a jarring overlay), that doesn't delete files when a 3rd party app suddenly stops working because it's offline / broken from an "upgrade", that uses the same keywords as ModBuddy so searching is intuitive/accurate, that keeps versions of mods and makes them available, to name just a few user/modder friendly features ... pretty much the old GameSpy ModHub :D

Top Bottom