Problem with Nexus

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by martijnaikema, Nov 4, 2010.

1. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

I have a problem with the Asset Viewer from Nexus. When I want to open a fxsxml file which contains an animation, the program crashes and an error is reported.

* When I open assetviewer a pop-up comes up asking which version of the game to play (I did not start the game myself) (screen1);
    * I can open a file with no animation (screen2);
    * When I open a file with animation I get an error (screen3);

The error report says the following:

Spoiler :

Application: Nexus
    User: Unkown (Not an in-house user.)
    Time: Thursday 4-11-2010 23:40:58

Runtime: 64 bit
    Machine: VASTE-PC

Exception: System.OverflowException
    Source: System.Drawing
    Thread: Main Thread
    Description: Overloopfout.

Stack Trace:
    bij System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
    bij System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttrs, DrawImageAbort callback, IntPtr callbackData)
    bij System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttr, DrawImageAbort callback)
    bij System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawImage(Image image, Rectangle destRect, Int32 srcX, Int32 srcY, Int32 srcWidth, Int32 srcHeight, GraphicsUnit srcUnit, ImageAttributes imageAttr)
    bij Firaxis.Framework.DrawingHelper.DrawImage(Graphics g, Image image, Single x, Single y, Int32 width, Int32 height, ColorMatrix m)
    bij Firaxis.Framework.DrawingHelper.DrawImageCentered(Graphics g, Image image, Single x, Single y, Color color)
    bij Civ5NexusModes.AssetViewer.ScrollableItemTriggerTrack.PaintTrack(Object sender, ScrollableItemPaintEventArgs e)
    bij Firaxis.Framework.TimeLineTrackPanel.PaintTrack(Graphics g, DisplayTreeNode node, Rectangle r)
    bij Firaxis.Framework.TimeLineTrackPanel.PaintTracks(Graphics g)
    bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
    bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
    bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I downloaded Civ5 and the SDK directly through Steam. I am playing on Windows 7 64bit. I installed Visual Studio 2010 Shell.

I hope someone can help me out. Cause it is a real pain in the *** to create a MOD everytime I made a change to a dds-file.

Attached Files:

2. blazekid87

blazekid87 Warlord

who uses nexus??......heres what u need:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392705

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood, I guess your just trying to view the file. I dont know but my best guess is because you chose the wrong exe. I chose the DX11 when installing nexus. You can probobly edit the registry and try to change it.

3. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

Indeed I only use it to view THE asset. You know which entry I have to edit?

4. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

Today I did a clean install. Deleted all the registry entries, Civ V, the SDK, Visual Studio 2010 Shell and Microsoft .net.

After this I did a new install, but the problem with the Asset Viewer still persists. The strange thing is that the Unit Viewer does work. So I am really lost on what to do.

I can open the gr2-file which was created by the GrannyMaterialHacker in GrannyViewer, but there it does not load any textures. I only need a tool to view the reskinned dds-file on the gr2-model. It is almost impossible to load the game every time I did a reskin.

Is it by any chance possible to load gr2-files in Blender or Studio Max? Or is there a way to see a textured file in Granny Viewer?

5. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

When you re-install Nexus are you sure you are setting the asset directory correctly? Mine is set to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization.

Exactly the same here and Nexus 3D Viewer works fine for me. Perhaps the issue is related to graphics drivers?

As far as I know, the answer to these questions is "No" and "No". GR2 is a proprietary format and we can export into that format via FBX, but there is no script for importing GR2s into either Blender or Max and it's unlikely there'll be one. Granny Viewer does have a texture view, but it doesn't seem to work with external textures.

If you can't get Nexus 3D Viewer working then you're pretty stuck I'm afraid...

6. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

Here are the most important register HKU-entries:

Spoiler :

Firaxis - Tools - ToolAssetPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

Firaxis - Nexus - Civ5Settings - Gamebuild: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV_DX11.exe (it was originally set to CivilizationV.exe and changed it in order to try if that worked)

Firaxis - Nexus - Viewer - Executable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v sdk\Nexus\x86\Viewer.exe

Firaxis - Nexus - Viewer - AssetPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets

The strange thing is that I can open animated units through the Unit Viewer (see screenshot).

The drivers of my graphics card are updated.

I also checked the Error Log of Nexus and there is an error "Reflection TypeLoadException". It is in dutch so I try to translate:

Can not load the types. Get the LoaderException-attribute for more information.
    at System.Reflection.Module._GetTypesInternal(StackCrawlMark & stackMark)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
    at Firaxis.Framework.PluginFactory.ScanAssembly(Assembly assembly)

Attached Files:

7. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

I have two differences:

Firaxis - Nexus - Civ5Settings - Gamebuild: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV.exe

Firaxis - Nexus - Viewer - AssetPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

I think you may find the second one is the reason for your errors. Unpacked animations are under sid meier's civilization v\resource rather than sid meier's civilization v\assets so I think Nexus may be unable to find them and crashes.

8. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

I gave it a try but unfortunately no succes. I also tried replacing my GeForce videocard with a new Radeon HD5770 to check if it was the card that was causing trouble. No succes either.

@ Deliverator: I sent you a PM.

9. martijnaikema

martijnaikema Warlord

Here are all the registry entries of Nexus for an exported REG-file:

Spoiler :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Civ5Settings]
    "GameBuild"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\sid meier's civilization v\\CivilizationV.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules\3D View]
    "Location"="216; 114; 935; 653"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules\AssetView]
    "Location"="100; 60; 636; 382"
    "CurrentView"="Tree"
    "CurrentListMode"="Detail"
    "AutoView"="True"
    "ViewAnimTrigger"="True"
    "ViewStateGraph"="True"
    "View3DView"="True"
    "ListColumns"="100, 80, 80, 60"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules\Script Browser]
    "Location"="300; 100; 1030; 319"
    "Column0"="324"
    "Column1"="653"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules\StateGraph]
    "Location"="300; 100; 640; 435"
    "Split0"="470"
    "ShowProperties"="False"
    "ShowEvalOrder"="False"
    "ShowIsolatedStates"="False"
    "ShowNubLabels"="True"
    "ShowGrid"="True"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules\TriggerView]
    "Location"="200; 400; 779; 411"
    "Looping"="False"
    "PlayRegion"="False"
    "ShowTriggerList"="False"
    "Split0"="25"
    "Split1"="48"
    "ShowProperties"="False"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Modules\Unit Viewer]
    "Location"="25; 109; 1000; 645"
    "Split0"="25"
    "InspectorVisible"="False"
    "BackColor"="Black"
    "TeamColor"="Black"
    "TeamColor2"=""
    "CurrentRefreshType"="All"
    "MacroEvent"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Settings]
    "DockToWorkspace"="False"
    "MonitorIndex"="0"
    "DockStyle"="Top"
    "LauncherLocation"="285; 429; 445; 324"
    "SettingsLocation"="200; 200; 356; 297"
    "AssetBrowserLocation"="0; 0; 297; 171"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer]
    "Executable"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\sid meier's civilization v sdk\\Nexus\\x86\\Viewer.exe"
    "AssetPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\sid meier's civilization v"

And the tools-part:

Spoiler :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis\Tools]
    "ToolAssetPath"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\sid meier's civilization v"

Deliverator, your explanation sounds indeed logical. But looking at my settings they are all right. Which files in the resource directory are the animation files? Then I can check if they are unpacked correctly.