Problem with oversized City screen

rodgort

Chieftain
Hello everyone,
Nice site/forum. I discovered it while trying to Google my problem. I hope someone can help....

I've dug out my old Civ 2 CD and installed it on my Asus Eee 1000H, running Windows 7. After installing the Indeo drivers, (almost) everything works great! I don't have to run in any "compatibility" modes or anything. I was surprised, seeing as how Civ2 was designed to run in Windows 3.11.

I have installed the 2.42 patch.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that the City window is too big, when my screen resolution is set at 1024x600 (native resolution of my LCD). The top and bottom of it are cut off, and it's basically unusable. :badcomp: However, if I set the resolution to 800x600, everything is just fine. The City window (and other dialog boxes) are much smaller, and fit the screen just fine. See attached screenshots.

My theory is that Civ2 is detecting the width of my screen as 1024 pixels, assuming it's 1024x768, and blowing everything up accordingly, which is okay except for the City window. Has anyone seen this before? Is there any way to disable it or work around it?

If I have to, I'll just run at 800x600, but I'd like to be able to use the full width of the screen... any ideas?? :confused:

TIA! :goodjob:

Attachments

• Civ2_1024x600.jpg
    Civ2_1024x600.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 281
  • Civ2_800x600.jpg
    Civ2_800x600.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 400
Did you tried to make the window smaller with the arrow pointing down? (It's the seccond button of the city window screen (upper left))?

I would have, if I could have clicked on it... ;)

As you can see in the screenshot, that part of the window is cut off and I can't figure out how to move the window....:confused:

The only solution I can think of and I'm not sure it will work is to start civ2 with the smaller screenresolution. Make the window smaller as I described in my post. Then close civ2 and change the resolution to 1024x600. Start civ2 again and hope you still see small windows. It looks like this works with vista on my laptop but am not sure it always works.

The only solution I can think of and I'm not sure it will work is to start civ2 with the smaller screenresolution. Make the window smaller as I described in my post. Then close civ2 and change the resolution to 1024x600. Start civ2 again and hope you still see small windows. It looks like this works with vista on my laptop but am not sure it always works.

That didn't work, but it gave me an idea.
I set the resolution to 800x600, load my savegame, and then set the resolution back to 1024x600 while Civ2 is still running. Bingo! :woohoo:

Everything is cool now. Thanks for the tips! :goodjob:

Top Bottom