1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with space race

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by Robert Can't, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Hi,
    I would like to know if you include Civ 2 Test of time in civ 2
    if so i have a bit of a problem on the extended origional game in wich i have biult a space ship and launched it and when it reaches ac the video comes up but i only get half of the text and it crashes.
    Thanks

2. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Did you acquire the game legally?

3. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Yes, it was the copy that comes with the Civilization Chronicles

4. SouthernKing

I think that may unfortunately be a bug with the original game, then. Seems related to the video player.

5. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Didn't know you were a Civ2 vet, SK!

Give these a try, and see if it helps.

6. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

The problem has actually gotten worse since 2008. I'm now having trouble when starting a game. As soon as the parameters are chosen the game crashes to desktop.

I am having the same issue when trying to run standard Civ2 (once again using the Civilization Chronicles CDs). Is there anywhere you know I should look for an error log or something?

7. Thorvald of Lym

Dunno about original original Civ2, but for MGE you might find a solution in this thread. N.B.: FoxAhead created a replacement patch for Win10.

For ToT, the Test of Time Patch Project is now the must-have user patch. Installation can be tricky, though; a guide is posted here, and when in doubt, do a fresh install on the C drive.

8. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Thanks! I'll give them a go tomorrow. I'm pretty glad a thread I posted in 2008 has actually come in handy for me 10 years later.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  9. Thorvald of Lym

Having my own fair share of unanswered tickets, I try to help where I can. :)

10. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

So I've managed to get Civ2 Running - I'll try ToT momentarily.

I have been having some issues though:
    I've managed to get the music working through the use of another copy of civ2 I have but I can't get wonder videos to play despite the fact that I can see them and watch them in the files for the game. Not sure what issue this is but if any of you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

11. SouthernKing

Have you tried using the same other copy of civ2 to replace the wonder video? if that isn't working it's probably an issue with civ2's video player and I'm not sure that's easily fixable.

12. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Yeah, I'm thinking that it must be something related to civ 2 itself as the wonder videos are clearly there and viewable in the game files.

Its also the same thing for the advisor videos

13. Robert Can't

Robert Can't Grantaire

Issue with trying to get ToT to work - The 1.1 patch executable does not seem to recognise that I have installed the game? Any ideas on why this is?

14. Thorvald of Lym

Make sure you aren't using a no-CD .exe, since that'll bounce; I installed ToT fresh on a Win10 computer and had no problem with the patch, though this thread suggests trying it in Safe Mode. When in doubt, clean reinstall.

It probably has to do with the (lack of) Indeo drivers; if the download linked on Catfish's site didn't work you can grab an alternative setup here. Someone else has my original Civ2 discs so I can't troubleshoot those, but I can confirm it fixes ToT.