Problem with techs when allied, and failure of Germany to invade France and Poland

Genghis Dhan

Chieftain
Question: I'm playing RTW with the last patch, Global Assault, playing USA, Noble difficulty, with the setting of historical events happening close to, but not on, the exact dates. Two issues: 1) War has not broken out completely. It's February 1942, the US entry into the war was on schedule. But Germany has never invaded Poland nor gone to war with France. I had a similar problem in an RTW Europe game, it was either 1938 or 1939 start. 2) In this game, I have been pursuing a tech strategy based on going for all the research-affecting techs - Laboratory, Chain Reactor - early while figuring I'd pick up the others when I joined the Allies and gained the benefit of my allies' research. When I joined the Allies, I was 2 turns away from completing Chain Reactor. I should note I pursued this strategy because the turns necessary to finish even one research in this game was so huge - everything was 35 turns or whatever. Anyway, I joined the Allies - but the game a) didn't give me access to my allies' techs and b) something like quintupled the amount of research needed for Chain Reactor. It's now 60,000 or so research points - it was originally 13,000 or 14,000, in that neighborhood. What's up with that? I have another 30 turns to go to finish it. And my army is horribly weak, I can't upgrade it, etc.

I too have experienced this as well on random events. I was playing the Germans and Czechoslovakia was never occupied. However, this is probably an aspect of "Random", i.e. some events just do not happen at all.

As to the Tech development issue. I do not know. What happens when you are playing "Historical" ?

This is my first crack at Global Assault; haven't tried it on historical yet. I might abandon this game and try it on that setting.

There are maybe two things being confused here: the event occurring, and the event being 'finished'/'executed'. The events can/do occur without the AI actually doing anything about it. Remember, the event is a 'declaration of war', not a hard-coded invasion of X-units towards Y-cities. E.G., just because Japan declares war on the USA doesn't mean that they actually have to attack Hawaii (or any US units/cities at all). I have seen both Austria and Czechoslovakia survive for many years despite being at-war with Germany, because Germany doesn't bother to actually attack them. Same for Poland. Same for France. Etc.

Check the diplomatic screens or the log to see if the events are actually occuring, because evidence from the map may not be very telling.

non-historic play is kinda bugged , the AI scripts are not working , however on historic it usually takes 2 turns for Poland to be eliminated , and the US will debark strongly in North Africa
-my favorite historic play is with France ... just debark and take all German ports (its like 8 cities) in the Baltic ... then give them to the Baltic states , right in 1939 ... soon the soviets will take them .
-i also seen the Germans paradrop massively on France in 1939 and making them Vichy ... without even bothering to break the Maginot (i was Romanian or Italian)

Top Bottom