Problems with Civ 2 on XP

MWA

I. hate. hippies.
I can't play it on Win XP, anyone know anything about this??

Why didn't you just post this in the Civ2 area and see if there's somebody there with XP because they may know a solution.

Sorry, problem solved, topic moved.

Now, anyone??

what exactly is happening?...are you get some kind of error message?

My Win 98 system crashed, so I rebuilt my system on Win XP. But, now my game freezes.

I initially just installed the game, ran the update and put the no-cd patch on it. Then the game would freeze and any given moment. Sometimes it would freeze after about 15 minutes, sometimes after only 2 or 3.

I then downloaded the updated indeo drivers, uninstalled the game, re-installed the game, ran the update, but didn't do the no-cd patch. It still freezes. :( GOTM, normal game, or scenario, it always happens.

Ideas?

When you installed Win XP did you do a complete format or an upgrade? Complete format is definetly a necessity when upgrading to XP. Did you also use the Windows Update to get the latest compatability files from Microsoft?
If yes the only thing I can suggest is turning off the music, animated heralds, throne room, council, wonder movies, and anything else that would access the CD whether or not it is in the drive.

Try finding the civ.ini file. Sometimes it is copied into the Windows directory, sometimes not. I´m not sure how XP handles these inis but you can put the name of the path where Civ2 should look for your CD in it.
This way you can copy all files, including movies and heralds, to the Civ2 directory and run the game without a CD. You just need to turn music off, too. :eek:
Also make sure that Civ2 installed the WinG drivers. They were developed for use with Win3.x but even with Win98 you still needed them for the game to run properly. Probably with XP, too.

Try using ToT if you don´t do that already, and downgrade it to MGE. If ToT runs properly, then the patched MGE should, too.
:D

Originally posted by Cedric Greene
When you installed Win XP did you do a complete format or an upgrade? Complete format is definetly a necessity when upgrading to XP. Did you also use the Windows Update to get the latest compatability files from Microsoft?
If yes the only thing I can suggest is turning off the music, animated heralds, throne room, council, wonder movies, and anything else that would access the CD whether or not it is in the drive.

Totally different system from the old one, but XP was done with a new format. I just went to the site you are always talking about and went to their download section for the indeo drivers. I normally have all those options turned off, but maybe I never got around to it with the new install.....?

Checked those. They were all off.

My friend (who just set-up the same system) said he hasn't had any problems with his Civ game.....?:confused:

Sometimes I can't even get a turn done before it freezes. I don't see any pattern to it. It doesn't always happen when I click on something, or when it tries to load something.... I even just loaded a game and let it sit and it froze.

Any other things I should try?

After thinking about it some more, I realized that the freeze I had outside of Civ II was after I was playing it, but had exited the game.

I installed the latest Windows XP updates and got the current driver for my video card and it still freezes. :mad:

The latest one was right in the middle of units fighting. It froze with the little explosion, starting to envelope the unit. Weird.

This really sucks. I have to sepnd more time saving my game then actually playing to try and have any progress at all.

Did you try to contact Microsoft :satan: (I know, I know :p) or Infogrames concerning your problem?
You should do that, but it probably is a XP problem.
What kind of video card do you exactly have?
Also post some more specs of your comp!

I didn't have time to pull any info from my computer last night, so I'll do what I can from memory.

Intel celeron 450
9 GB Harddrive
384 MB RAM
Matrox 200AGP video card

I also noticed that my the light on my printer flickers ever once in awhile. I am going to try and see if this correlates to the game crashing at all.

Clarifying points;
Do you have to specifically find and install the WinG drivers, or are they don when you install the game?

Does it matter what order any of this stuff is installed on top of each other?

When installing Civ2 classic, the WinG drivers should install automatically BUT with an extra acknowledgement.
The order is also predefined, BUT you can also reinstall it. Look for the WinG folder on the original Civ2 CD.
Are you running MGE? or a patched MGE?

Not sure, but I think MGE does not require WinG anymore. So it wouldn´t be that problem.

Have you tried alternative drivers for your graphic card and/or alternative settings?
Check your DirectX version and settings.
Other than that, I can just say, contact Infogrames or :satan: Microsoft :flamedevi:.

More info:

I'm using DirectX 8.1 (which is part of Win XP).
I previouly downloaded the updated video driver following the site choices and got a 11/2001 version (5.72), but after checking around found a 02/2002 version (5.82) and tried that. I still freeze.

However, as a said note;

When Civ is the only thing open, it seems to play fine for the most part, but it will actually crash the game sometimes when I am trying to load a game. The system doesn't freeze, but the game just crashes and I get that 'Do you want to send a report to Microsoft?' thing. I can then just start tha gaem up again and continue on.... very weird.

So, I guess my options for now are to play civ and have nothing else running at the same time. I'm still going to try and uninstall and reinstall the program after any updates I get, but I'm not too hopeful that it will fix the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Any other ideas are still welcome, as I still would like to get this working right.

My civ2 freezes too. I have civ2 classic patched to MGE which I run with the TOT cd. I have the no cd patch and I installed the latest drivers.

System:
Celeron 433
512 MB ram
Trio 3D/2X video card<----------This is the problem probably!:mad:
13 GB hd with os
40 GB hd with games, including civ2
Windows 98 fully updated
Direct X 8.1

I have tried alternate settings/drivers for my video card and it makes no difference. It also makes no difference what, if any other programs I have open.

When it freezes it becomes totally unresponsive and I have to restart. I've had no other problems with the game.

Unfortunately, most of the advice given to this point has merely enabled you to pursue a wild waterfowl with fleet feet.

The symptoms described preclude most suggestions to this point. The problem is almost certainly one of the following:

1. A registry setting.
2. A driver issue, possibly even AGP or busmaster. Video is possible.
3. BIOS revision (least likely).
4. Hardware.

1. Are you able to confidently edit your system registry? More importantly, can you back up and restore your registry?

2. Do you know the exact model of your motherboard, including the revesion (e.g., ASUS P5A rev. 1.03b)? Who is the northbridge manufacturer (Square black chip about the size of postage stam on the MB, maybe ALi or Intel... should be in MB manual). Who is the Mfg of your Video card (model and rev. #)?

Who is your printer Mfg and did you install any printer drivers, or did MS install them all?

3. Who makes your BIOS (Version, obtained at boot time)?

4. Are you overclocking, or have you set any MB settings, or BIOS settings yourself? Shat is your cooling situation like... e.g., fans, chip attachments, usage of heat transfer grease/teflon. Have you upgraded any RAM yourself? What Make and model of hard drives do you use, and are you using full busmaster data transfers?

Some things you may not know, but with the above info, I might be able to spot the issue, but more likely some will be eliminated, leaving you to do certain troubleshooting yourself.

MS has made a mess of things in the XP world, and I could tell you tales of real-life foul-ups in their OSs. My general feel is that the issue will boil down to a driver/OS issue causeing the instability, and depending your your tech experience and time, you might be better off with an incremental fresh install, with minimal hardware initially. This can take a few hours, but will catch both hardware and software issues.

A CDRW burner can speed things considerably by preventing time consuming 2nd and subesequent base installs in the troubleshooting process.

Top Bottom