Problems with Custom Maps Not Showing in Game Setup

Anthropoid

Grognard fantome
ADDIT: Okay, I think I've figured out my problem, though I have to fiddle through to make sure it fixes it. See belowpost for full explanation. I'll leave the first two posts in the thread though, just in case anyone else is having a similar problem it may help (though my description of the problem is so complicated, I'm not actually sure!).

APPARENT EXPLANATION: I am not sure why, but maps appear to have two alternative titles in the Worldbuilder. I suppose this may relate to specific map names versus map types.

If you are in the Worldbuilder your window for the app will look something like this:

On the upper left, you have the "save as" tab. If you click it, you can name or rename the map. If you rename it, this will create a new file in your:

C:\Users\My Games\Sid Meier's Civ 5\Maps.

However, take a look on the lower right. That is the window you get if you click on the "Description" tab which is about mid-way across the top of the Worldbuilder GUI.

Here we find that "Babyloiois.Civ5Map" thing that I have about 15 entries of when I open my Singleplayer/Setup/Choose Map/Additional Maps in the game.

Why on Earth Firaxis decided to configure the GUI like this I cannot fathom, but there you have it. Apparently, any given map has two "titles:" 1. A "map type" title, that is how it shows up in the in-game map chooser screens, and 2. A map title, which I suppose allows you to have multiple different examples of a given map "type" (though why you would wish to do this I cannot fathom, as you will not be able to distinguish them in the in-game map chooser screens.

So in sum, (though I have not yet gone through all my maps to change the titles in the Description window to match the titles in the "Save As" window which will confirm this), it appears that the map title that shows up in game is the one in the Description window in the Worldbuilder, not the one in the Save As window in the worldbuilder.

-=-=-=-ORIGINAL POST

I'm having problems with maps that I've either edited or created from scratch not showing up in the Game Setup window, and/or showing up with many excess copies.

1. Using a blank ocean map generated in the World Builder, I created a template with 'climatic zones' and then I created a map which I entitled "Huge12AI24CANormTemp" or some such. Once I had populated this map with terrain, starting locations, and resources/features, I saved it as "Mostomi Gare."

It does not show up in the game setup window and I do not understand why. It is in the
C:User\Sid Meier\Maps directory, just like all the ones that do show up.

2. A map that I created as an edited version of a random map . . .

I have been fiddling around with the ModBuddy and Worldbuilder, and made a simple mod that I like "Faster Marathon Training and Constructing," which is on Steamworkshop if you want it. In the course of figuring out how it all works, I've overwritten map files numerous times, and also saved iterative steps of maps I was working on with slightly different titles . . . I've subsequently deleted most all of those 'excess' copies that I could find.

I also had several custom modified maps setup as "included" in the "Faster Marathon Training and Constructing" mod (they showed up as items in the "Solution" list in ModBuddy). In hindsight I'm not sure why I did this. I guess based on Kael's guide I gathered that I wouldn't be able to access them otherwise.

So I have: C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps\Babyloiois.Civ5Map

This is a random map that I edited as a learning experience, and also to make a nice posh starting location for Babylon. There are a number of other map files in that directory, but nothing else remotely similar in name. It would seem that I deleted all the slightly different variations on that map name. In the "Scenario Editor" window the map has the following Civs: Babylon; Celts; Huns; Carthage; Inca; Morocco; Indonesia; Maya; Shoshone; Arab; Aztec; Ottoman; Byzantine; Iroquois; Mongolia. All are set to playable. As far as I recall, each starting location is set to be for a specific Civ (I had to resort to that because I wanted Babylon to spawn in one specific spot that I tailor made for it, and with any of the AI start spots set to 'random' it seemed to spawn Babylon all over the place).

So I can open this up in the World Builder and everything looks fine.

However, when I load my mods, then go to Singleplayer, then Setup and choose "Maps" I get this:

There are like, 8 or 9 different "Babyloiois" maps!?

But . . . in the directory that I can see, there is only one . . . Where are all these other maps and how do I get rid of them?

I have deleted both my cache folder and my ModUserdata folder once and it didn't fix these problems.

Some more observations:

1. The "Baybloiois" map (or map type?) that has like 15 entries in my "Additional Maps" tab in the game setup window . . . at one point early in map building, I took a random huge terra map, and edited it. This map had had Babylon as the player and I edited it to make the player start better as well as other things. I initially saved it as something like Babyloi, but then made more changes and saved it as "Bablyloiloi," etc. Somehow, all the subsequent maps I've created, including ones generated using the "New Map" button at the launch screen of the World Builder, are being listed with this map title.

For example, the map I want to play with right now, is one I generated from at random in the World builder. I cannot recall if I generated a blank (all ocean) or some other format and then blanked it. I then counted tiles to create "climate column" (2 or 3 ice at far latitudes, 4 or 4 tundra, then grassland with forests, and a band of jungle around the equator . . .) and saved this as something like "Climate column." I then started adding terrain, and players and saved it as "12AI24CSHuge" or something. And when I was done renamed it "Motsomi Gare" (Middle Hunter in Setswana).

Now the funny thing is, the very last entry of "Babyloioi" in my Game Setup window appears to be this map.

Why it would do this I cannot fathom.

I appreciate anyone with expertise in the way the world builder and in game map directory access works clarifying as much as possible.

Obviously what I'd like to do is:

a. get rid of the superfluous copies of Babyloiloi, but not anything I want to keep

b. understand how I got myself into this mess and avoid doing it in future.

Top Bottom