Problems with downloaded unit graphics

Kathy

King
Hallo,

I have downloaded the modern Amazon guerilla and the Amazon industrials uploaded by Zerver. I liked to use it in my mod, but unfortunately they did not work as well - most of the units are looking like before :((riflewoman, female cuirassier). I do not know what I did wrong and posted a comment to the units. I requested Zerver to upload all files he used, but he didn't. So now I am looking for someone who installed the Amazon industrials successful an maybe can help me - or upload all used files, including his art-define-tag.

Thank you all very much in advance for your efforts.

First of all, this is actually not the place for questions. Only finished graphics should be posted in here. But maybe it's good you asking this here where everybody can see it, because I recognized there is a very bad style of creating and publishing units. I had also problems with some of Zervers units and I was able to solve them. The problem had something to do with that I am playing on freeze-mode because my computer is already a bit older. You can try the following: go to the graphics menu (where you can adjust on which resolution you want to play etc.) and check if the units animations are switched off. Can't tell you what this option is exactly called at the moment, I have not much time now. Just have a look at the options menu and you'll sincerly find it. If you switch it back on and everything is fine, I know what your problem is and I can help you. If you have a stronger machine than you can keep it the way it is. If not, the game will slow down for you and it'll maybe be a horror trip to play it. Then you should do the following:
- find out on which unit the new one is based on; every unit was made out of an existing one that came with civ4, in your case you can see it cause you wrote they change back to rifleman etc.
- once you did that, go to Zervers files you have included to civ4; check if the unit has it's original name, for example: if the unit is based on the rifleman the nif should be rifleman.nif and the fx version of it (if there is one, it is not necessarily needed) should be rifleman_fx.nif, if this is not the case then rename those files
- next step is to copy the kf's from civ4, that's a bit triggy, because there are units coming from vanila, warlords and bts, and all the original files are spread out over different folders; you have to ind out to which game the original unit (the one your unit is based on) belongs to; your rifleman should be a vanilla unit so you have to look up for it in civ4/Assets, there should be fpk files which are archives, you can unpack them with a certain program but I can't remember its name right now... there is a tool section at this forum where you can load it, you may have to search for it a bit, but you'll find it; if you have unpacked the archives (will need some space on your harddrive) there should be a folder "art" and inside it "units", there should be a folder with the same name the unit has you are searching for, there will be a rifleman folder for example (I know that, because I worked a lot with the rifleman), inside it you'll find the original nif, a kfm, some dds and kf's, now copy the kf's (not the kfm) to the folder where Zervers files you have included to your mod are in, NOTE: if your unit is based on a warlords or a bts unit, there will be no archive, instead go to civ4/warlords/Assets/art/units or civ4/beyond the sword/Assets/art/units, all units are there, already unpacked, NOTE2: the size of your mod will increase, maybe this is why all the modders don't put the kfs into there files
- last step is looking up your xmls again (civ4artdefines_units.xml of your mod), you have to point to the files in your mods folder, not to the subfolder of the original game, this is also often the case in other people's mods, these are the lines of one of my unit:
<NIF>Art/Units/Infantry_Magyar/hun_inf.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Infantry/Infantry.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Infantry_Magyar/hun_inf.nif</SHADERNIF>
as you can see it doesn't point to the infantry folder anymore but to Infantry_Magyar folder of my mod, if you are creating a bts modular mod the path is a bit different, you'll find it out by reading some tutorials if you already haven't
->if you don't do it this way your machine will have the idea to animate your unit the way the original unit is, this happens although and even only if you switch off the units animations

I bet this will solve your problem, it always worked for me everytime I included one of Zervers units. Hopefully some of the modders will recognize this problem when reading this. I guess they didn't recognize it because they have stronger machines then me.

If this doesn't help you, please post you xml entrys of the civ4artdefines_unit.xml.

This is the ArtDefines_Unit and UnitArtStyleTypeInfos entries that i used for zerver's amazon guerilla. it showed up fine for me in the civ i gave it to

Spoiler :

<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_AMAZMARINE</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Infantry.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,8,3</Button>
<fScale>0.44</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Art/Units/marine_amazonian/Marines_FX.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Marine/Marines.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/marine_amazonian/Marines_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>
<ShadowDef>
<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
</ShadowDef>
<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
<fRangedDeathTime>0.05</fRangedDeathTime>
<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
<AudioRunSounds>
<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
</AudioRunSounds>
</UnitArtInfo>

Spoiler :
<StyleUnit>
<UnitType>UNIT_MARINE</UnitType>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_AMAZMARINE</EarlyArtDefineTag>
<LateArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_AMAZMARINE</LateArtDefineTag>
<MiddleArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_AMAZMARINE</MiddleArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
</StyleUnit>

hope these help

I tried your tips, but: No!:cry: My amazon Guerilla (the art define was a clone of psob2's) was no longer the marine, it moved all right but was not complete. She had a head, a weapon and a torso, but not more. No legs, no arms, no boots... I don't know what I did wrong or what is missing.

same problem was with the cuirassier, when I tried same. She had only a head and a helmet, and a weapon, nothing more. Without a .nif that is different from the _FX.nifs it does not work. Who can help me?:help:

Please post your xml here (artdefines of your units) and a screenshot if possible. We need further information.

Here the used artdefinetag and a screenshot. I hope there is a mistake in it you can show me - this would be less complicated. But I don't expect it...

Attachments

• screenshot amazonguerilla.JPG
    screenshot amazonguerilla.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 79
  • UnitArtInfoAmazonGuerilla.doc
    20 KB · Views: 77
Oh, that looks like a genuine graphic bug. You better contact the creator for that.

OTOH, it looks your graphics card is a rather old/limited one seeing the graphic glitches on the lake next to the Amazone.

The nif of this one is really weird - if i didn't seen the screenshots whith the unit in game in zervers thread, i would say it's bugged... There are two scene roots in it (and incidentally you only see what is under the Marine SceneRoot, while her legs are in the other branch...)

one idea what can cause the problem, the part visible have no shader, the unvisible parts have a shader applied. So try to download (or use one standard from bts) a model with shader and without shader and link it in the artdefines one time only to the shader (_fx) version [for nif and shadernif], the other time to the non shader version.
If the unit isn´t shown correct in the first case, your grafic card is to old to display shader models and i fear without a redo by Zerver there will be no change for the model. If not there should be another problem

Moderator Action: Moved to main C&C forum. Posting in the unit's thread is the best way to get support.

Thanks. That is what I did first, but Zerver didn't recognize. Than I send him a message - no resposne.

OTOH, it looks your graphics card is a rather old/limited one seeing the graphic glitches on the lake next to the Amazone.

Perhaps he can help me now, when I tell him what's wrong with it. Thank you all very much.

AFAIK Zerver only visits the forums once in a while - no stable connection at home or something - so it is possible he just did not see/have time to check it and reply to your message. Or he went MIA :(

Here the used artdefinetag and a screenshot. I hope there is a mistake in it you can show me - this would be less complicated. But I don't expect it...

ayayay........................... Never saw this... can you tell me your computer characteristics? (Pentium, videocard etc)

cool3a2, youre a real bunch writer))) did you wrote a book once apon?

Yeah, maybe I should write a book... :)

You are actually not the first who is telling me this. What should I do? If I write it shorter, maybe nobody would understand what I mean...

ayayay........................... Never saw this... can you tell me your computer characteristics? (Pentium, videocard etc)

My computer cahracteristics: Windows XP professional, Pentium 4 2.8 GhZ, I do not know what kind of video-card I use, this is the information I get from my system controlling.

Report Date: 09/13/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 14:43:31
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4396
Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 3, v.3264 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: German
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 503 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 96 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 26 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2793 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2572
Device Revision: 02

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Video BIOS: 2919
Current Graphics Mode: 1024 x 768 True Color (60 Hz)

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

I am not sure, of this is of any help for you. Do you need further information?:confused:

Hmmmm.... Maybe you have to look which videocard are compaitable with the game. How long ago did you bought/updated your computer? I think you need a better videocard.

This is some kind of on-board chip.

I think it will use the nonshader graphics, and these are somewhat pikier about the structure of the Nif on occasion.
Probably her legs are not non-shader save :lol:

I do not know, how old my computer really is, it was used before. Most graphics I downloaded work very well, just a few does not. The amazon cavalry, for example, is working all rigth. I do not know the difference between the graphics, I am no expert, I just hoped you were able to help me correcting this.

Top Bottom