problems with Rise of Mankind

00konichiwa00

Prince
I installed Rise of Mankind 2 weeks ago, but it is SO slow. In the start it is okay, but after some time it is really slow. So slow that playing the mod is almost borring. It takes 5-10 minutes for 1 turn to finish. Is it because I chose 32 civilizations, that I should decrease the number of civilizations? Or is it something else I can do?

Today I saw this update patch for Rise of Mankind. Will that patch make the mod faster? I have not tried to play the mod after I installed that RoM patch (2.81 patch).
I put the patch in the RoM mod folder (beyond the sword/mods/rise of mankind), is that wrong? should I put it directly in the mods folder and not in the rise of mankind folder?

I am hoping somebody is willing to use some of their time to answer me. I appreciate it alot:) thanks!

I installed Rise of Mankind 2 weeks ago, but it is SO slow. In the start it is okay, but after some time it is really slow. So slow that playing the mod is almost borring. It takes 5-10 minutes for 1 turn to finish. Is it because I chose 32 civilizations, that I should decrease the number of civilizations? Or is it something else I can do?

Today I saw this update patch for Rise of Mankind. Will that patch make the mod faster? I have not tried to play the mod after I installed that RoM patch (2.81 patch).
I put the patch in the RoM mod folder (beyond the sword/mods/rise of mankind), is that wrong? should I put it directly in the mods folder and not in the rise of mankind folder?

I am hoping somebody is willing to use some of their time to answer me. I appreciate it alot:) thanks!

2.8 is much slower than regular BtS (I have not installed 2.81 which is supposed to help somewhat). I play it on lower display settings than regular BtS, and with a standard map/7 civilizations game it is running slower than regular BtS does with similar size/civ settings in the very late game, at around 900 AD. It started slowing down well into the BCs, and regular BtS doesn't start to slow down for me until around renaissance times.

thanks for fast reply. I will try to lover the graphics and see it that helps. if not I might start a new game with alot fewer civilizations.

thanks again for helping me

Yeah you put it in the right folder. Unfortuneately the mod is very slow.....my computer powers through BTS with no slowdown whatsoever and RoM is unplayable due to wait times. Great mod so hopefully it gets fixed.:(

Yeah you put it in the right folder. Unfortuneately the mod is very slow.....my computer powers through BTS with no slowdown whatsoever and RoM is unplayable due to wait times. Great mod so hopefully it gets fixed.:(

Yes the mod is very nice. It didn't help with the patch. it's still as slow as it was before. him/her/they who created it should do something with it. the waiting time takes away 90 % of the fun

Allow me to introduce to this modmodpack by Afforess. In it, Afforess had improved the speed of the mod by 50% according to some people. For me, it was really good speed optimizations. So go there and download his modmodpack, install, uncheck all the boxes you can uncheck, and go play! You will have the benefits of speed improvements without these cool excellent modmods included in your game :D.

Allow me to introduce to this modmodpack by Afforess. In it, Afforess had improved the speed of the mod by 50% according to some people. For me, it was really good speed optimizations. So go there and download his modmodpack, install, uncheck all the boxes you can uncheck, and go play! You will have the benefits of speed improvements without these cool excellent modmods included in your game :D.

thank you

I also play RoM with AND but it didnt solve anything.
I posted my problem here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8752904&postcount=2654

Did you read the FAQ for RoM?

Or the Readme that zappara includes?

Or Afforess' FAQ?

You may find some answer there. :)

JosEPh

Did you read the FAQ for RoM?

Or the Readme that zappara includes?

Or Afforess' FAQ?

You may find some answer there. :)

JosEPh

yes i read them, i loaded the components from RoM that makes it faster.
Or did i miss anything?

Are you letting Windows run your Video performance settings?

If you are, Windows will hog your Ram.

Right click My Computer select System Properties then the Advanced Tab. 1st section under Advanced is Performance settings click to open. Then Select Visual Effects tab(should be the 1st tab). Adjust for Best performance or Custom.
I have used both but have settled on Custom as there are only about 5 options you really need.
Then select Advanced tab and check paging size at bottom. I use 2046MB.

Above the Paging file size I have also selected in both sections: Programs.

If you change the Paging file size and select Programs be sure to click Apply at the bottom then Ok.

Even your friends computer with DualCore chipset, 4GB of ram and 512vid ram will benefit from this, try it.

JosEPh :)

@ Joseph2

Lol :D

Im not that dumb :p

No seriously, ty for the advice but i know all that stuff. Im a nerd myself :scan:
I even dont have a background because it takes memory, manually changed msconfig totally so it only loads the needed drivers etc.
My HD's are fragmented under 7%!!! (Everyday fragmentation helps a lot)
Also CCleaner is run every day to clean up the mess in the register and other files.
I use PageDefrag to defrag the page file at bootup.
And also GameMode is a neat tool to close all unnecessary programs exept the virusscanner. But i close the virusscanner myself when i play offline.

My system runs faster than some pc's that normally should be superior to my system.
So no, my systems perfomance is not a issue at all.
Its at 200%

So i thought it probably is the mod that makes it run slow.

When i load a clean Civ4.exe it takes a few sec before the screen pops up and loading of the game starts. Then 1-2 min to load game files.
When i load it with RoM from start it takes 5 - 10 min to pop up the screen. (CPU is using less then 10%, memory usage is also low. As if a timeout is active, waiting to expire before it continues to load)
And then the game begins to load the xml files etc wich take another 5 - 10 min.

I think the creators of the mod need to manage memory in a better way.

I program myself but dont want to put time in this subject.
But i know from my own learnings, memory management is a hard thing.
In programming you always need to decide for example how many bits you like to use for a integer variable.
4 bits is 16 combinations, 8 bits 256 combi.
If they use to many bits for a variable the memory needed will increase also.
(if you want to store something like health, and it goes from 0 to 100% without use of decimals, you dont use larger integer variables then 8 bit sets because 8 bits already allow numbers from 0 to 255.
7 bit is already enough with 128 combis.)

I think this is a simular problem for RoM it simply loads to many data into the memory.

@ Joseph2

Lol :D

Im not that dumb :p

No seriously, ty for the advice but i know all that stuff. Im a nerd myself :scan:
I even dont have a background because it takes memory, manually changed msconfig totally so it only loads the needed drivers etc.
My HD's are fragmented under 7%!!! (Everyday fragmentation helps a lot)
Also CCleaner is run every day to clean up the mess in the register and other files.
I use PageDefrag to defrag the page file at bootup.
And also GameMode is a neat tool to close all unnecessary programs exept the virusscanner. But i close the virusscanner myself when i play offline.

My system runs faster than some pc's that normally should be superior to my system.
So no, my systems perfomance is not a issue at all.
Its at 200%

So i thought it probably is the mod that makes it run slow.

When i load a clean Civ4.exe it takes a few sec before the screen pops up and loading of the game starts. Then 1-2 min to load game files.
When i load it with RoM from start it takes 5 - 10 min to pop up the screen.
And then the game begins to load the xml files etc wich take another 5 - 10 min.

I think the creators of the mod need to manage memory in a better way.

I program myself but dont want to put time in this subject.
But i know from my own learnings, memory management is a hard thing.
In programming you always need to decide for example how many bits you like to use for a integer variable.
4 bits is 16 combinations, 8 bits 256 combi.
If they use to many bits for a variable the memory needed will increase also.
(if you want to store something like health, and it goes from 0 to 100% without use of decimals, you dont use larger integer variables then 8 bit sets because 8 bits already allow numbers from 0 to 255.
7 bit is already enough with 128 combis.)

I think this is a simular problem for RoM it simply loads to many data into the memory.

I think you guys need to be more considerate before you go bashing other people.

It's not like the people here have ignored the subject of performance...

Before bashing people?!?

Sorry dude but i only suggested something.
I read everything even the system performance issue.
I only hope for a solution so i can play this supermod. Because so far nothing helped for me.

Dont understand me wrong.
I have a lot of respect for you people, why do you think i invest time on this forum looking for solutions???
i really dont understand why you said this:
"I think you guys need to be more considerate before you go bashing other people."

I know this project is your baby and you defend it probably with your life, but i mean it well.
So please if i said something wrong accept my appologies.
There's something like negative and positive critics.

@ Afforess

I merged the BUFFY mod with the Next War mod and the World Size & Speed mod.
I was curious how fast the loading was.

All goes well and everything works.
But i found out that the World Size & Speed mod caused the slowness at the begining.
Even before the loading screen pops up it took a while.

I thought why?
The only thing i can think off is the coding of the map sizes or gamespeed...
I didnt check the code in detail to look for a fault but..

RoM also has the larger map sizes and also loads slow.

My guess is that you used the same files i did.
Why invent the wheel if it already exists.

Even FFH2 isnt that slow, and its a big mod too.

So i think the World Size & Speed mod is the troublemaker (Giant & Gigantic Map - Snail and Blitz gamespeed).

Just wanted you to know.

If you are so much a geek, then take your time and help Afforess figure out the problems by do-do stuff! That would make your criticisms more credible because of your shown work in RoM. Otherwise, you are just another player who comes in compaining with no foundation (shown ones at least). Only after you show specifics, would Afforess respect your input more :).

I'm being blunt because when Aforess tried to help you two or so posts above, you shoved his post aside with "scoffing" comments. Now go into SDK sources and python files of RoM (sources given by Afforess in his forum) and paw around there and comes up with solid solution.

If you don't have time for this, then kindly shut up :).

***Wow, this is my first and hopefully my last strong post in this Civ4 forum :shudder:.

Top Bottom