• Paradox Games has announced today their new game “Millennia”, a semi-historical turn-based 4X game. Find out more here .

Processes Running With Civilization 3

Apollo

Emperor
This is a question for those whose game is running without any problems, hence it being posted here and not in Technical Support. One of the main errors people have been getting with Windows 2000 is the "Civilization3.e.exe" error. Notice the extra ".e" in there. I'm one of the people with this problem, and while experimenting with the game I noticed something. If Task Manager is brought up (press ctrl+shiftl+esc) while on the Civilization III main screen, under the Applications tab there is a "Sid Meier's Civilization 3" running as expected, but then under the Processes tab there is something called "Civilization3.e" running. This is the same "Civilization3.e" that is causing the problems with my game. Do those of you who haven't had any trouble with the game also have this process running? I would really appreciate it if somebody could check. I've been in correspondence with Infogrames Tech Support since November and the list of messages is almost 50 pages long in Word, and there hasn't been any progress towards getting rid of this error.

Before I upgraded my RAM, I checked periodically to see that the game was still running. I don't recall ever seeing that extra exe running, tho.

I was wandering about extra process too. But in my case it is called something like ~f15e . I have win2k.

s3d, I also have that ~f15e thingy running when i start the game, it only occurs when i boot up the game. Once I get to the start screen I immediately CTRL+ALT+DELETE it and get rid of it, in order to speed up the game. (The only things I have running when I'm playing is, of course, civ3, as well as Explorer and something called Aptezbp, which allows me to turn the volume on my comp up and down) Those are the only 3 things running when I play. And I have had no problems with Civ3 crashing, none at all.

I use my home machine for occasional weekend work development also. As a result I have a lot of other stuff installed, including SQL Server 2K.

I've forgotten many, many times and left the database running while playing Civ III without any problems. This includes the dreaded end game on large maps. It's slow as molasses but no crashes.

I have 256 MB ram on a PIII 550 running Win2K, nothing special.

Win2k, 1.3 GH, occasional civilization3.exe crashes.

No extra process whatsoever (at least nothing I notice with a name that sticks out).

Windows ME
Pentium 4 1.6 Ghz (no overclocking)
512 MB Rambus RAM

No problems at all unless my computer has been on for days and I insist on using Windows Media Player and Civ III at the same time.

Originally posted by Apollo
Do those of you who haven't had any trouble with the game also have this process running? I would really appreciate it if somebody could check.

The only problem I have had is other peoples save games (downloaded) causing errors. Otherwise, my system is solid as a rock running Civ3 under Windows XP.

The process you describe does not appear on my system. The list shown in the picture below is sorted by username.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

I noticed that several of you have different operating systems than W2k, which is what I'm running on, so that might explain why the Civilization3.e process is not there. Also, some mentioned a process called ~f15e that messes things up unless they close it, but for me if I close Civilization3.e it also closes the game, but this doesn't work the other way around. If I quit or exit Civ3 then it ends the Civilization3.e process, but if i choose End Task in Task Manager for Civ3 then that weird process remains, and when I try to start the game again it won't let me until I close Civilization3.e in Task Manager as well. Anybody else have this sort of problem with W2k, or not have any problem at all in W2k with the process Civilization3.e?

I have no worries running the game, as it is Windows XP that I use, but I have also noticed that I don't need to download the various patches and fixes to alter the gameplay or iron out existing problems. Is this because the UK version of Civ III already has those patches on it before purchase?

SNIP... Also, some mentioned a process called ~f15e that messes things up unless they close it, but for me if I close Civilization3.e it also closes the game, but this doesn't work the other way around....SNIP
I looked last night and indeed did have the wierd little ~15e something .tmp running. Using up about 900 K, no cpu. I didn't have the civilization3.e though.

Win 2K.

Sounds like the SafeDisc copy protection to me.

Have you tried getting the un-SafeDisc'ed patch from Infogrames support?

Dan

I'm not objecting to that little ~f15e*.tmp thingy running. Like I've said before, I can run even the dreaded large map end game with SQL Server 2K, Seti@Home, McAfee Virus, etc running with no problems besides long turns.

I'm not b*tching (not even about MP) :D I would like a better map generator tho :p

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Sounds like the SafeDisc copy protection to me.

Have you tried getting the un-SafeDisc'ed patch from Infogrames support?

Dan

Which one sounds like the SafeDisc copy protection, the "Civilization3.e" process or the "~f15e45" process? I find that both start running when I begin Civilization III, but its "Civilization3.e" that causes all the errors.

Which one sounds like the SafeDisc copy protection, the "Civilization3.e" process or the "~f15e45" process? I find that both start running when I begin Civilization III, but its "Civilization3.e" that causes all the errors.

The tilde thingy process sounds like SafeDisc. I have *no* clue what the Civilization3.e is, though the way SafeDisc works, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a related process.

See if you can get your hands on the Safedisc patch from Infogrames and let me know if it alleviates the situation.

Dan

Win 98
256 RAM
PIII 800 MHz

No problems at all :D

Top Bottom