1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

production in civ3

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by jazzhak, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jazzhak

jazzhak Chieftain

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I need to ask because no one I know plays the game.

I've been playing Civilization II for a while, and I recently bought Civilization III, and I love the graphics. But what I don't understand is why there isn't enough money. I do what I do in CivII (create settlers and expand, all the while building military troops) but when I do this my money goes to -2 a year. Is there something I need to do to put it in surplus while still expanding? Sorry for the n00b question guys.

Also, when I've researched different government types I want to change it, but I can't find the "Revolution" button. Any idea where I can find it?

Thanks guys :goodjob:

2. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

Hit the F1 key and a window will open. There you can change government by clicking on you current government type which is listed there. Your tax sliders are also listed there which may help your money problems a bit.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

You have commerce comming from your cities.

Using the sliders, you can choose to turn this commerce into
    -Science
    -Gold (tax)
    -Entertainment. (Only to prevent your cities from going into riot. Don't use entertainment more than needed for that. However, don't be afraid to use it either. It is better to use the entertainment slider for happiness than temples)

If you don't turn any of your commerce into gold, you won't have any income until you trade gold from the AI. (we leave taxmen out of it for now because they have no role in early game)

You spend gold on
    -Unit Upkeep (only if you have many of them, you can have a bunch for free. In the F3 screen, you can see how many units you have and how many you are allowed to have for free)
    -Maintenance (for your granaries, barracks and temples)
    -Payments to other civs (Until you know very well what you are doing, don't pay gpt to other civs early in the game)

All this information can be found in the top part of the F1 screen. It works nationwide. All numbers here are the total of your whole civilisation.

So most likely, you are turning all your commerce into science and none into tax. You build granaries, barracks and units and you start paying upkeep and/or maintance. This is no problem as long as your gold is not running out. In early game, you can try to open huts and trade gold from the AI to maintain this small deficit without going broke. Later in the game, you sometimes need to move the sliders and make 10 or 20% tax.

Also in the F1 screen, on the top right, you can find the button to change governments. When you select to change governments, you will go into anarchy. The advisor will tell you how long the anarchy is expected to be when you click on it. When the anarchy is over, you get to choose your new government.

4. jazzhak

jazzhak Chieftain

Thank you very much for your help. Another question though. When you move a military unit from one city to another, does it automatically receive support from that city, or do you have to do it manually like CivII? Because I can't figure how to do that.

5. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Deity

While in civ2, units were supported by a specific city, in civ3 they are not.

Unit support is nation wide.

Each government allows you to support a number of units for free depending on the number of cities you have and the size they are (see F3 screen for your supported units and civilopedia for the support under different governments)

When you have more units than the number of free units for your government, you will have to pay upkeep. This does not come from one particular city, it is nation wide and the upkeep you pay can be found in the listing on the F1 screen just like your maintenance cost.

So you never have to bother about wherefrom to support your units. Only your total number of units, free unit support and the total cost matters now.

6. jazzhak

jazzhak Chieftain

Thanks once again! :D

7. Mao Zendog

Mao Zendog Chieftain

how do you change wich city a perticular unit recives support from in Civ II?
    i know this is the civ3 forums, but Jazzhak brought up the topic of Civ2, and i just came up with the question.

8. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

Place the unit in the city that you want to support it. Right click the unit and select "support from this city". There may be a better way for it has been awhile since I have played civ2.

9. Mao Zendog

Mao Zendog Chieftain

why does it seem so odvious? thanks ecuwins

10. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Emperor

I think you can also put the unit in the desired city and hit H. I'm not entirely sure about that though... It's been so many years since I played civ II....