production lost when technology completes(if unit needs resource and resource limit)

b.dorrell

Chieftain
Part way through building a catapult I completed the physics technology. I would have thought that my partly built catapult would either:-

a) Continue and complete as normal
b) Continue to build as a trebuchet (the catapult upgrade, and just take a bit longer due to the additional cost).

What seems to happen is that I lose all production and have to start again. This just make planning builds complicated, having to check what will complete first (assuming I actually remember to check). Is this a bug or just a bad feature?

patch level 1.0.1.221

regards. :(

I'm going to guess that you have 0 extra iron when you complete physics? Further, if you free up an iron and then complete physics, does the catapult convert into a trebuchet?
Lastly, save game please!

I have attached a saved game.

I have 6 iron total (no deals)
5 swordsman
1 cat (in production in philadelphia)

1 turn from physics
4 turns from cat completion

Move on one turn physics is completed and then I select printing press.
Move on another turn cat in philaqdelphia disappears and 1 spare iron returns, which I can promptly use to start building a treb from stratch.

thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Washington_0154 AD-0880-xxx.Civ5Save
    681.4 KB · Views: 130
Both a catapult and a trebuchet require 1 iron, so converting a cat to a treb during the build requires no extra iron (I do not go short of iron). So I think it should just convert, and not require me so start the build again.

Both a catapult and a trebuchet require 1 iron, so converting a cat to a treb during the build requires no extra iron (I do not go short of iron). So I think it should just convert, and not require me so start the build again.

But the game doesn't "Convert"... instead it says.
1. You are building a catapult here... you can't build a catapult here (obsolete)
2. Catapult should be replaced with trebuchet... but you can't build a trebuchet here (0 iron)

Not saying it isn't a bug, but that's probably the cause of it.

There is already a confirmed bug report for this in the bug sticky, it's Gameplay #8.

However, that report claims you should get a refund every time an obsolete unit is abandoned (which I disagree with). This is a slightly separate issue where your upgrade is not happening because the game is double counting iron during the process.

I loaded the game and confirmed the issue. If you delete 1 swordsman and end turn (freeing up an iron) the game will automatically switch your catapult production to a trebuchet. If you have 0 iron, it will try to upgrade to the treb, fail because 0 iron is available, lose all production in the cat and then return your 1 iron from the cat.

I would suggest replacing #8 in gameplay with this, as this is an actual bug.

If you have a spare iron available during the upgrade process, your production will be converted and you will receive the treb at the end.

There needs to be a check for resources when upgrading obsolete production. Specifically checking to see if the unit being upgraded also uses the same resource as the one being upgraded to.

People complaining that they didn't get a refund for partially complete units that went obsolete.
For instance, let's say you are building a warrior (upgrades to swordsman) and warrior goes obsolete but you don't have any iron to build a swordsman... in that case you should lose your production imo. It's easy enough to plan around and avoid the issue if you want to and really minor even if you don't.

The bug is going from an iron unit to iron unit requires a temporary 2 iron rather than just 1 like it should.

Because i see #8 as a different problem (the game shoudln't switch the production to an unit which the player can't build in contrast to here where the player should be able, but the game counts it wrong [let's call is missing comfort function]), i've added it as a different bug to the list.

Thread moved, and again magnus thanks for helping :).

Top Bottom