1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Production Overflow exploit

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by Ansive, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Ansive

Ansive Chieftain

When you adopt a policy that multiplies the production of a specific type of building or unit chopping causes too much production overflow.
    You can pretty much build districts in 1 turn.

How:
    - adopt the production modifier policy
    - build the cheap building or unit to 1 turn
    - chop
    - select an expensive new project (district, wonder)

If the ancient walls (limes policy) need 10 more production to finish, chopping a forest for 100 production will overflow 190 production.
    The correct behavior would be to overflow 95 production (5 to finish the walls, 95 for whatever else).

Applies to: walls, galleys, heavy chariots, archers and so on.
    Also works for jungles.
    Most likely also for harvesting.

I have not tried to select yet another multiplied project in a row. (galley, galley, expensive project)
    If chaining works it might be possible to 1 turn build anything.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  2. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Chieftain

Could you rephrase this example please? I don't get it.

3. Rosty K

Rosty K Chieftain

Overflow production shouldn't be affected by project-specific policy cards. I think.

4. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

The issue is that the production policy cards increase the output instead of reducing the cost. I can't think of a reason why it would be implemented this way.

Apply the bonus by reducing the cost of the given item while in production and the problem is solved.

5. Darac

Darac Chieftain

I might see if there's an easy way to mod this in because i agree that overflow chop rush exploits are annoying.

On further thought, this won't be so easy. By making units cheaper you don't solve the problem, you end up reversing the problem. If I have a 50% cheaper modifier on my unit and then I remove that modifier 1 turn from completion, it'll suddenly be back to full production cost and effectively you wasted those policy turns... I guess the developer implemented it this way around because it will always work regardless of the users understanding of the implementation of the mechanic.

That said, the developer probably didn't realise this exploit exists either or you would fix it and do something like apply bonus production modifiers on per production and not overflow them to the next.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Ivan Hunger likes this.
  6. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I was thinking the calculation would happen every turn and I suppose if it did either way would work, but I see the rub.

7. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

Without looking at the code, and therefore having no idea how difficult this would be to implement, it seems to me that the best solution would be to simply apply an additional policy card check in between when a city finishes producing something but before the leftover production is added to the next turn's overflow.

I assume the way it works right now is that, at the end of every turn, the game checks to see what each city is producing and what policy cards each player has equipped. If a player is producing something that is modified by a policy card that player has equipped, the check comes up positive and the modifier is applied to the city's total production that turn.

What I'm suggesting is that whenever any city finishes producing any item, a second check should be run that detects whether the first check cam up positive or not. If it did, the city will then remove the modifier before adding the city's remaining production to the next turn's overflow.

As an example, let's take a city that has 30 production per turn. The player who owns that city tells it to make a galley. When the player ends his turn, the game checks to see if that city is building an ancient era naval unit and if the player has the maritime industries policy card equipped. When the check sees that both those conditions are true, the check returns positive and the game doubles that city's production for this turn. Next turn, the city runs the same check again with the same result, except this time, the city finishes building the galley with 55 production to spare. When this happens, the game will then run a second check to see if the first check came up positive that turn. Since it did, the game halves the remaining production, then adds the resulting 27.5 production to the overflow that will be carried over into that city's production next turn.

But, again, without knowing how the code is actually written, I have no idea how realistic this actually is.

8. Ansive

Ansive Chieftain

Yeah. When a unit or building is completed by rushing the overflow should be modified (reduced) based on current policies.
    Example:
    Producing worker with 30% bonus.
    10 production missing from worker.
    100 chop -> 130 chop.
    120 overflow remaining.
    Apply overflow fix
    120 -> 93 pure production

Then, when selecting the next project, the production will be modified at the start of the next turn.
    93 overflow + 20 city production -> 113
    Building an ancient era ship
    113 * 2 -> 226 production

Ivan Hunger likes this.
  9. Darac

Darac Chieftain

You would have to apply the adjustment to any overflow after any build completion because standard city production also overflows at the modified rate.