1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

programming request - bmp to map script utility

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Craig_Sutter, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I'm not a programmer, and have not inkling as to how difficult this might be.

As you know, there is a BMP-WBS utility, which is a great tool for scenario makers. However, I don't want to play save files, but rather, would like to play premade scenarios with such things as random resources, start positions, etc. that a map script can generate.

For instance, a map script generated WBS file of Rhyse's worl map would be great, and ultimately replayable, if starting positions and resources were randomly generated rather than being in a save file.

The BMP-WBS utility generates variables that build a WBS file. It seems to me that someone who was adept at programming ought to be able to have these variables sent to a map script rather than the WBS.

Again, I reiterate, am not a programmer. I've no idea whether this would be a lot of work, or a simple cut and paste job. On Sirian's map script thread in General Civ IV forum, I was informed that map scripts can be made to generate the same map every time, and so, lacking this kind of utility, I'll probably be able to figure out how to directly input terrain features and coordinates into the script, however, a converter utility would make things a lot easier.

On a related note, a WBS to map script converter would also be a nice feature.

Anyhow, I hope someone who can program in python takes an interest in doing such a utility. Doing so is beyond my ability.

Thanks.

2. aeric67

aeric67 Chieftain

Anyone working on something like this?

I for one would be extremely interested in this for my Earth map. I could see painting resource zones, in which specific resources randomly appear each time a map is played. I could see a separate BMP file for each resource or maybe a BMP for three resources (which are keyed to either Red Blue or Green channels). The brighter the painted area, the more likely the resource is to appear there. Maybe a minimum of 1 resource per painted area would be a default (so you can paint a single pixel in any intensity if you want a resource in a specific spot).

Wow, but how to do this?

3. ShroudedMist

ShroudedMist Chieftain

You're looking for a utility that allows one to load a wbs into a random map script imho. Noone to date has done this with python.