1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Progress / Authority Happiness Policies

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by tothePAIN, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Delvemor

Delvemor Chieftain

Equality policy is fine. I pick it last by default because I don't need more happiness before that time. In the long term it does its job. In this game with the Celts you don't need to pick this policy at that time.

If you want to make it more viable as a third policy it would need to give something else on top of happiness. From my experience happiness is not a problem at that stage of the game.

I think it's up to the player to use his brain to figure that out. I don't pick Equality as a fifth policy for the happiness, but for the gold per citizen birth and the ability to build the Forbidden Palace.

CppMaster, tothePAIN and Cokolwiek like this.
  2. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Well, you are right in that happiness was not needed just when I took the third policy, but between third and fourth I had 5 cities and unhappiness kicked off. The secondary cities had as many unhappy as happy people, empire size penalty varied from 30 something to 68 once a finished my settling wave. Between fourth and fifth policy happiness was a real issue, someccities were on the brink of revolt, slogging down my ability to produce units and ultimately making me fail upon Shaka. These new cities were slow at growing and produced units slowly. In this part of the game, being first to place a city in the right location makes a difference.

Maybe happiness is not enough, maybe it is. We should test with the same game whether the extra happiness that early helps with faster expansion.

About players using their brains, I think CrazyG made a point of AI randomly taking Equality. It can make AI who take the wrong order underperform, and mislead Gazebo estimations on the tree strength.

3. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

This something we should check logs to confirm before we change balance around it.

I wonder if there could be a way to check what policies on AI has while in game, to see their order.

4. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter