1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Progress Left Side First

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by Stalker0, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

So generally I have wholeheartedly embraced going the right side of Progress first. In generally the extra worker, food, gold, and science I find give you a better jump start than the prod and culture bonuses on the left.

That said, there are exceptions for everything, and I wanted to highlight one here.

Spoiler :

upload_2020-7-31_14-54-16.png

So ultimately there are two factors that made me go left side in this particular game.

1) Limited Land Resources: This is a common scenario with certain sea resource focused starts. As you can see, most of my early tiles are going to be sea focused, with a push towards work boats over workers. The land around me doesn't have much need for worker improvement in the very early game. So I would rather have the prod bonus for faster work boats and to balance out this more food heavy start.

2) "Donated" Workers from Korea: This was less common but put me over the top in my decision making. Korea decided that having 2 workers (it took progress 2 for the free worker) by its capital with a warrior off a few tiles drinking with barbs was a good idea. So in 1 turn I bagged 2 workers and a farm pillage for my trouble.

Now honestly I probably would have gone left side on number 1 alone, but with the two donated workers from Korea it sealed the deal.

2. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

I think the biggest problem is the slow science. The +3 science per connected city often doubles your science output. Delaying that really hurts even in a situation where the free early worker is largely useless.

phantomaxl1207 likes this.
  3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

It true, and in this example having gotten used to right side progress, I was shocked by how slow my tech progress was. That said ultimately the infrastructure on the left and early production helped to stabalize me and I did alright, but it does effect your wonder expectations....a shift towards more medieval wonders over classical.

4. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

Having the left side does let you get policies faster. More overall, I think I would rather have the Science and the Food. It gets your satellite Cities off to a much better start. Of course that assumes that I have more of land start than you have shown here. So left side would make sense for a more water based start.

5. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I like the right side first on water starts, or sometimes in jungle when the +1 movement is relevant. You need to be ready for the low science though.

6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Did you mean left side?

7. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Yes I did :crazyeye:. Typically I take left on water or sometimes jungle, but right otherwise.

8. azum4roll

azum4roll King

That's one beautiful starting spot. I wonder how you'll handle the naval invasions though. And whether you'll chop down those trees for Polders.