1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive MP game thread

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by Thunderbrd, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Terrain damage is actually on now.

You sure you wouldn't want in on this? I'd be willing to bet that Spirictum's GF wouldn't mind... she hasn't yet officially stated she WANTS in. You've been with us from go... why not join us in an MP game?

2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Glad to see you pop in Acularis. :) I take it my version is too bland for your tastes for a C2C game? :mischief:

JosEPh

3. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

She only played C2C until now (no vanilla BtS, nor any other mod). We tried to play together twice, but the OOSs got us and we didn't manage to progress a lot. But once she played a game with me by her side explaining everything and she really liked it. She may not have much experience, but she is really interested in C2C. And there is me to coordinate our efforts as a team. About availability, she is a lot better in managing her time then me, and also she lives close to most of the stuff she has to do, so she doesn't spend as much time in traffic as I do (and this really kills a good part of my day everyday). And she is already graduated, so no end of semester full of exams for her.

We will play a Direct IP too not only to train but also so I can get those pesky OOSs and kill their roots once and for all. About english, I started giving classes to her because it's impossible to live these days without knowing english here in Brazil. The best sources of information for us are in english, so she came to me asking to give her english classes because she feels she really needs it to become a better psychologist. To say hello she is proficient, but to keep conversations here I don't think she can yet. But C2C is a great way to get vocabulary in english, as we did already.

But if Acularius or any other wants to join she won't get upset, but if we need one more player she is up for the experience.

4. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Small change of plan - I had forgotten we had developing leaders on inn this game, and as a result I would like to change from Alexander to Christian IV please (or if he's taken Hitler I guess, but I'd prefer not!)

5. Acularius

Acularius King

Oh, I must have missed this addition. I was just going by the Opening posts highlighting the game's setup.
    That being said, player wise, what are we looking for? (How commited.)
    How many turns a day, when should they be done by (Time zone wise, I'm sitting at -5 GMT), etc...?
    Since I can just take some time out of when I record/stream for relaxation.

Personally a fan of any of the Asian civilisations, but I can manage with any of them if we want a more rounded pool of cultural bases. (With developing leaders on, what really matters is the starting nation and their cultural start. :) )

To each their own I say :)
    I usually like lurking around, putting in feedback when I can and awaiting new versions.
    Still one of my favourite mods, and while Civ6 was an improvement, it just can't compete with C2C's refined flavour.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Looks like he may... But if she really WANTS to play, maybe we could round up yet another player? Somehow...

SO has turned us down but very conditionally due to some personal matters afoot at the moment. Maybe we'll get him into an MP game at some point in the future yet.

Is Christian IV an actual leader? I'm not recalling him for some reason. He's certainly not 'taken'.

Well... the game will probably last for a very very long time, like years long.

With this many players, I expect we'll probably be able to get in a turn every other day. All we ask is that you can regularly take your turn within 24 hrs of it being available to take. Turns take about 15min to 2 hrs to take depending on how much complexity has built up, war, etc... The game is obviously more fun for all if everyone WANTS to take their turns as quickly as they can.

That's basically all this requires. Just regular checking in on the forum a few times a day and taking your turn as soon as you can when it comes up. As a member of a team, if you've communicated well between each of you, you can likely have your teammate take your turn(s) if you're out of commission due to a life event for a while. That's part of what we're doing this game as teams for, to see if it can help us improve regularity of turns being taken in a timely manner.

Well... just pick one leader and we're good to go. Also, when is usually best for you to take your turn (if you can convert the answer to Pacific Standard Time for me it would be helpful!)

7. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Christian IV is in my Civopedia, but I may not have quite the right version. European base culture + starting traits are aggressive + industrious. If the only one that fits that turns out to be Hitler then I guess I'll take him. Ho hum.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

We won't have any starting traits at all with these options, regardless of who the leader is. We'll quickly earn some though.

9. Acularius

Acularius King

That's fine, I can predict at least a year availability. Past that, I can only say that I'll keep everyone posted.

I am generally free to play during the evenings (7 - 9pm, -5 UTC. Or 4 - 6pm, -8 UTC, or PST for you.) Weekends, I am rather free aside from Significant Other Day :p Which is a weekly occurance, but as I explain in the following sentence, varies.
    Weekends are a trickier beast as every other weekend I am generally out for the day with my significant other. I am usually not back until midnight, and this point isn't really negotiable :p

I can do that.
    I am also accessible through Discord, Steam or Slack if someone wants to create a free 'team' for this.

I'm prefer the aesthetic of Japan or China, either is fine. Leader can can be random as the setup has, 'no starting traits' and 'developing leaders'. :)

10. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Ah ok - anyone European then :) Preferably NOT Hitler ;-) I guess I might as well go back to Alexander

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

OK... Koshling stays Alexander, Acularius joins and I'll have to figure out what that means for the teams. Wants China or Japan, random leader. Got it. That's a perfectly acceptable way of picking a leader for the rest of us too btw.

I'll probably be selecting a North American leader, like Geronimo or something like that.

12. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Well, I talked to her and she war really liking the ides of us playing each a half of the Roman Empire. She would go as Theodora and I'm not sure which roman to choose. If she could play that would be awesome, and she'll probably be available when I'm not.

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok. :) Glad to have her then. But now we're back to an odd # of players so hopefully we get another showing interest. That'd would be really cool to have 10 players. I think at 10 human players and 10 AI players we should probably to the next larger mapsize as well.

What is your girlfriend's name at least?
    BTW, Are you sure you want to be the same nation?

So... we need just one more!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I have determined that I shall play Sitting Bull. Whisperr decided on Cleopatra.

The upload is in place. We all need to create or update our repositories. With the C2C MP v37 folder in the C2C MP SVN, you can setup a mod folder for this game and name it:

C2C MP Prgsv

To break this odd number, I may have to take Joseph up on his offer of playing both of his team members here...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  15. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Question about size matters - in my test games I was able to combine 3 identical units without problem, but Magnus tells me he has not been able to combine three identical, and identically promoted units in the prehistoric era (but was able to later in the game). Can you go over the restrictions please...

Oh - and where did we end up on tech trading/brokering in this game. Will they both be off or just brokering off?

16. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Not a problem.

Will need to redo your turnlist.

Still have some questions about MP Pbem game set up. You can reply in the Cons thread if you wish.

JosEPh

17. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

We will make her a profile here in the forum so she can say hello and have a CFC name

Well, she would go as Byzantine and I would go as Roman.

18. Harrier

Harrier Deity

If you increase the map size, I would have to bow out of the game as my system can not handle giant maps certainly not with 20 civs. I could not load the GEM map when it was playable. I am also not sure how far I could get on a huge map with 20 civs.

I am in two minds about playing a team game anyway. Apart from all the new options to master - I normally play at Prince level. Which I admit I find easy. Maybe going up 3 levels will be a jump to far. Also it would not be fair on the person I am teamed with.

The more I think about it, playing 2 games at the same time may be a bit to much of a commitment for a first time multi-player.

As I type this I have made my mind up.

I am sorry but I must withdraw from this particular game.

I will however play the conservative game to get a feel for multiplay.

19. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Well, I hadn't gotten into later eras in that game, but I had read (in the V37 player's guide, or discussion thereafter) that it was going to be reworked to gradually unlock combining at a rate of 1 'step' per era. That game was in v37 release. Was your game in v37 release, Koshling? If not, that might explain the difference. Still, clarification would be helpful.

Well, looks like we are back down to 8 players and 8 AI. Personally, I would not mind going up to Giant map anyway, as 16 is a lot of Civs on the map. If people don't want actual Giant, then perhaps use the 'override' for a map size between Huge and Giant?

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You can merge or split up to one layer from the original (what the unit trains at) per era. Thus in Prehistoric, you can only merge or split once before you're at the limit in that direction.

You cannot split units to less than individual group volume. One person cannot become 3 thirds of a person.

You cannot merge units that are of different unit types.

You cannot merge units that are of differing quality levels or group volumes. There are promos that give quality upgrades and they are as powerful as a merge but usually remove all XP from the unit in the process. If all 3 units have taken such a promotion and are at the same quality level then they can merge just fine.

You cannot merge or split units that are loaded, injured, or have moved this turn. They also cannot merge if they are grouped in any way so they need to be ungrouped to be capable of merging. IIRC, there are a number more similar style restrictions and I'll have to remind myself of them by looking at the code but those are the obvious ones. All three units to merge must be on the same plot and none of them may violate these rules.

To merge, select the merge button (which shows up if the capacity to merge is available) for the LEAD unit in the merger (the lead unit will keep its free promotions for the whole group... the other two will lose theirs, an important distinction if you want to keep attached leaders and starsign promotions and such for the whole group.) Then you'll be prompted to select the other two units for the merger, one at a time.

I think that pretty much covers it but I'll check deeper later to see if I missed anything.

Strongly wanting both to be OFF. A few still balk at the idea but I really hope we can play without it for once.

Any particular leader selections?

That may fit better though I would miss having you in this one. At least it puts us back to an even number and we can get rolling here.

I'm not sure 16 is all that much for a Huge but I'll run a test setup in single player and see how spread out they are before committing anyhow.