Project Eternity

Benefactor

Beneficial
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system - positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.

We are excited at this chance to create something new, yet reminiscent of those great games and we want you to be a part of it as well.

This reached it's target of $1,100,000 in less than 48 hours. Guess people really want an old school RPG. I am quite excited about the idea myself, anything that promises to be even slightly like Baldurs Gate and Planescape: Torment gets my money (less bothered about Icewind Dale though :mischief:.)

I've never pledged to basically anything before in my life, and I put forward $20.

If you spend $5 you can join the forums for this project. The forum for it open next month, IIRC.

If you spend $5 you can join the forums for this project. The forum for it open next month, IIRC.

Unless they're releasing information about the project that the public at large isn't aware of, I have no interest in checking out the forums. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine it being anything other than a bunch of fans arguing about the same old fantasy and RPG tropes with a heft dash of nerd-rage thrown in.

I'm guessing it's actually to suggest which features to borrow from which games, but I suppose you're right that some of it will be just to chest beat about one's favorite tropes (LOL).

I'm guessing it's actually to suggest which features to borrow from which games, but I suppose you're right that some of it will be just to chest beat about one's favorite tropes (LOL).

Yeah, take my last post with a grain of salt. I'm feeling a little jaded about it at the moment.

I don't want to cast that entire community as uptight fans, but I just don't expect the forums to be very productive at this point without more info from the developers. Speculation and suggestion threads often wind up with more arguments and frustration than I can put up with :p

It's already reached it's target why donate anymore?

It's already reached it's target why donate anymore?

You're not really donating anymore, you're just buying the game.

-
I hope the combat isn't to much like Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale, even at the time I found the combat in those games a little dull and overly reliant on dice rolls.

Dice rolls are the point. They tried to capture playing a table top game on the PC.

This. One could even go so far as to auto-pause at the end of each round and display the dice rolls (which are hidden behind-the-scenes by default). I thought it was a good option to take a loot at :)

The kickstarter has ended with $3,986,929 (plus ~$130,000 from PayPal payments that are still being processed) and 73,986 backers. I got a $20 copy early on and I am really looking forward to this in 2014 :)

The kickstarter has ended with $3,986,929 (plus ~$130,000 from PayPal payments that are still being processed) and 73,986 backers. I got a $20 copy early on and I am really looking forward to this in 2014 :)

Sweet, are they going to include the PayPal addition when they look at stretch goals?

Dice rolls are the point. They tried to capture playing a table top game on the PC.

I wouldn't say they were the point, adventure, exploration, combat, etc was the point for me. But I did word my comment very poorly, I hope that getting a series of bad dice rolls won't screw up my entire plan in combat as much as it did in the old IE games :).

Also, the game will have two Athkatla-esque cities :D .

A $4m budget sounds wonderful; can anybody tell me what the budget for Dragon Age: Origins was, for comparison?

I would peg it at around $25 million. The average is around $18 million (or so I read somewhere once upon a time).

Top Bottom