[NFP] "Promise not to settle too near me"

Mr. Salt

Warlord
God, this mechanic is aggressively unintuitive. Why can the AI tell me this if my city is on an unsettled landmass? If the city is closer to an existing one owned by me than an existing one owned by them?

I have the outline of an idea of what a fix would look like. Maybe there'd be some unit called a Surveyor or Explorer or something, or maybe recon units would gain the ability to do it and be a little bit more relevant, but you could have them go out and leave a trail of "claimed" land for some number of hexes, and other civs would have to avoid settling on it or get hit with a low-Grievance Casus Belli. With that in mind, to keep it from being too strong, the claim would have to decay over time, like actual land claims that aren't acted upon. This decay could be faster the further it is away from one of your cities. Maybe the Casa de Contratacion could change to buff this? England could be better at it? My kingdom for anything with more depth than the 50 Diplo favor promises, at least for this.

With that, maybe Spain could finally get some buffs, with the Conquistador being a Recon Unit.

And Ai won't care. Seriously asking anything to Ai is usless. I asked Ai to stop spreading it's religion and 90% of time it will ignore me. War is only answer in civ 6. Diplomacy is for the weak.
I agree, you're better off to just tell the AI to get bent right away.

And Ai won't care. Seriously asking anything to Ai is usless. I asked Ai to stop spreading it's religion and 90% of time it will ignore me. War is only answer in civ 6. Diplomacy is for the weak.
Asking AI can generate grievances if they refuse, much more if they accept and break promise, can be useful in a few cases.

This *fun* and completely functional mechanic triggered in one of my recent games, when Hungary complained that I forward-settled him... by settling a city on the *other* side of my empire. :shifty:.

God, this mechanic is aggressively unintuitive. Why can the AI tell me this if my city is on an unsettled landmass? If the city is closer to an existing one owned by me than an existing one owned by them?

I have the outline of an idea of what a fix would look like. Maybe there'd be some unit called a Surveyor or Explorer or something, or maybe recon units would gain the ability to do it and be a little bit more relevant, but you could have them go out and leave a trail of "claimed" land for some number of hexes, and other civs would have to avoid settling on it or get hit with a low-Grievance Casus Belli. With that in mind, to keep it from being too strong, the claim would have to decay over time, like actual land claims that aren't acted upon. This decay could be faster the further it is away from one of your cities. Maybe the Casa de Contratacion could change to buff this? England could be better at it? My kingdom for anything with more depth than the 50 Diplo favor promises, at least for this.

It reminds me one of my idea when the terrain grabbing was not done with culture and settlers, but with scouts. But it was not as refined as your, because the land grabbed was forever and giving you visibility lol. Which i have nothing against, but is kinda unrealistic, because a small tribe at start can't control (or "claim") the territory of Russia. I mean, especially for the visibility part. (a small tribe can always claim as much territory as it wants, if it can't defend it there will be wars for sure, which is not a problem, the problem is, again, the visibility and "control" of it, like healing units faster)

So, *if* we put back visibility and healing, i guess it could work even without decaying. (visibility is no longer automatically updated in the second-level fog of war)

Top Bottom