[GS] Promises

Aristos

Lightseeker
Quick question: anyone knows if there is some type of time limit for the "Ask to promise" options? Mine are not there anymore, none of them, for any civ... do they obsolete after a certain era or something like that?

The other civs, OTOH, keep asking me without a problem...

Mine went away too but my guess is they only appear if they have done something to “activate” the promise,

Eg England settles near me and I am able to ask them not to settle

Holland did not settle near me and sent apostles but didn’t convert a city yet. For them nothing comes up

Edit: I take that back, you are right I started a new game and all 4 promises show, even digging up artifacts in ancient era.. so no clue why they go away after a while

Last edited:
I am playing another game and promises also disappear starting in a certain era (I haven't pinpointed exactly when). Is everyone else experiencing this, and if so is it a bug? In ancient era all promises are there. I'm in Renaissance right now and have met all the civs and promises don't show up as an option in diplomacy for ANY of them. This needs urgent attention given that diplomatic favor is a brand new system and I'm sure the devs intended it to be used...

It may be the case that the "real" bug is that promises are visible immediately after the start. As you said @oedali , after an aggressive act the relevant promise item appears on the menu.
That makes more sense, I will keep an eye and see if they pop up after an agggressive action

I had hoped that we would now have the ability to get a preemptive promise out of the AI, instead of waiting for them to do the wrong thing first. Am I wrong in that assessment?

I had hoped that we would now have the ability to get a preemptive promise out of the AI, instead of waiting for them to do the wrong thing first. Am I wrong in that assessment?

Yeap, apparently... the same way the AI only asks after an aggressive action from the player. The least thing we need is asymmetry in favor of the human...

Yet.. the "Grievances" mechanics have major impact on the whole logic behind not only Promises but also the Diplo favoring steps.
As if the Warmongering controversy wasn't enough.. the complex interaction systems now in place should take many of us time to adjust to.
Thus -- i'm fairly certain the encoded dynamics got re-visited extensively to strike an optimal balance curve.
We're all somewhat glued to a previous model unconciously, AFAIC. Under such conditions.. strange perceptions of the altered ruleset shall & most likely will keep us busy.

Give it a month or at least a few basic games.

There are some oddities with the promises, and it existed before Gathering Storm. I mostly see it with the option when you ask the AI to stop converting your cities. Sometimes the option is not even there at all. For example, in my last game Scythia kept converting my cities and each time she did so I could ask her to stop. This built up the grievances as is intended.
But there was also another civ in the game (forgot who it was) who was also converting some cities and I was never able to ask him/her to stop doing it. And again, I've seen this before GS was out as well.

I'm not sure what causes it.

Top Bottom