Resource icon

Promotion Flags EUI 1.1

Technoluddite

Chieftain
Promotion Flags for EUI
Requires EUI (or VoxPopuli with EUI)

This is a re-implementation of Thals Flag Promotions based on the EUI UnitFlagManager.

Are you fed up of having to choose between:
  • Using Thals Flag Promotions but losing EUI's Hostile Unit Highlighting, Fancy Unit Tooltips and better air unit management?
    OR
  • Having EUI's goodness, but having to click through half a dozen cannons to find the one with the Range promotion?
Now you can have it all!

In addition to retaining EUI's features, it has the following benefits:
  • Cleaned up\Redrawn icons for improved clarity
  • No missing icon errors, or icons missing from Civilopedia
  • Absolutely no gameplay changes whatsoever
  • Safe to add to, or remove from, in-progress games
  • Reduced intra turn processing time (less than half a second late game with ~700 units on the map, compared to over three seconds)
  • Up to 13 promotion icons per unit (configurable)
  • Promotion icons in the Unit Panel now stack for multiple ranks of the same promotion (eg: Drill1\2\3\4)
  • New icons for several promotions that previously only had the yellow triangle; and for promotions added by other mods (VoxPopuli, Enlightenment Era, whowards Capture Great People, Unique City States)
  • Will use the yellow triangle for promotions where no 16x16px icons is present (eg: for promotions added by mods, or where a mod has changing an existing icon without providing a 16x16px version)

There are a few settings which can be configured by editing PromoFlags_Settings.lua (defaults shown in bold):
  • ShowUnitFreePromos (true|false) - Show icons for promotions that a unit always gets for free, eg: promotions that provide UU's special abilities
  • ShowLeaderTraitPromos (true|false) - Show icons for promotions given by Leader Traits
  • ShowForPlayer (true|false) - Show icons for the active player's units
  • ShowForOthers (true|false) - Show icons for ai units
  • ShowUnitTypeInUnitPanel (true|false) - Show unit type in the UnitPanel for units that have been renamed
  • MaxPromosToShow (1-13) - Maximum number of Promotion icons for each unit
  • Debug (true|false) - Show Promotion Keys in tooltips, and log debug info to firetuner and lua.log

As with the original Flag Promotions, this mod will increase memory usage (although it should be less than the original), so it may increase the chance of CTDs late game. This is especially true if used alongside other graphics mods (eg: Hires textures, RED, Ethnic Diversity, etc). Memory usage can be reduced by setting MaxPromosToShow to a lower value, or disabling promotion icons for non-player units.

Thanks to:
Thal for the original Flag Promotions
bc1 for EUI

Last edited:
What a treat!

Is "ShowForOthers" include *all* others not only opponents? I would like to show only my own.

Last edited:
  • ShowUnitFreePromos (true|false) - Show icons por promotions that a unit always gets for free, eg: promotions that provide UU's special abilities
I playing as American on Vox Populai, but all my units have that sentry +1 UU promotion showing up. Is there a way to turn that off since all my units have that sentry +1 promotion since its one of America's special ability in VP. I checked the file and ShowUnitFreePromos is set to false but this promotion still showing up on every units flag.

Last edited:
Is "ShowForOthers" include *all* others not only opponents? I would like to show only my own.
Yes, ShowForOthers controls visibility of the icons for all units not owned by the player.

I playing as American on Vox Populai, but all my units have that sentry +1 UU promotion showing up. Is there a way to turn that off since all my units have that sentry +1 promotion since its one of America's special ability in VP. I checked the file and ShowUnitFreePromos is set to false but this promotion still showing up on every units flag.
That's because that promotion is granted to all your units based on the leader trait (I assume), it's not a property of the units themselves. I'll look into adding an option to control that in a future version.

Yes, ShowForOthers controls visibility of the icons for all units not owned by the player.

That's because that promotion is granted to all your units based on the leader trait (I assume), it's not a property of the units themselves. I'll look into adding an option to control that in a future version.

Ya its a leader trait. Wish there was option to turn this off too bc I only play with 7 promotions showing on screen due to it being memory intensive late game and seems like a waste that this leader trait promotion for all units takes up a space.

Or is there a way to edit something to delete the "sentry" promotion from showing up all together for all civs? Or turn off all promotions that are civ/leader based?

Last edited:
As I said I'll look into adding an option to turn off promotions inherited from leader traits, but that won't be for a few days at least.
In the meantime, as a short-term fix you could add
Code:
'PROMOTION_SENTRY',
to the list of promotions that are never displayed in "\MODS\Promotion Flags EUI (v 1)\SQL\PromotionBaseData.sql", around line 349.

Also, just a thought, but I'd suggest not reducing the number of icons straight away (unless you just don't like the clutter). I've got to the end of several games without running into out of memory crashes, so you might not need to. Even if you do have memory issues late game you can always reduce MaxPromosToShow when they occur and reload.

Promotion "Keys" setting is what exactly?
You mean the Debug option? It adds the internal promotion name (not the human readable name) to the tooltip to make it simpler to identify which promotion is which when making changes to the mod, troubleshooting, etc. There's no reason why you'd want it during normal gameplay, but it's there, so it's documented!

I wasn't familar with Promotion Overhaul, and I don't have time to test it now, but I've had a quick look at the code, and it will partly conflict.
The changes it makes to the names and descriptions of promotions should work fine, but I think it's icon changes will be problematic. Because of the way the icon changes have bean implemented, any promotions with a changed icon won't get displayed by PromotionFlagsEUI, but will still take up a 'slot' as if they had been.

The good news is, this is easy for the mod author to fix. If they just add a 16x16px icon for each of the promotions they have changed, PromotionFlagsEUI should pick it up and use it without any changes.
Also, I think I can see how to add a fail back mechanism to have PromotionFlagsEUI revert to the yellow triange whenever a promotion is missing an icon, which is better than a blank space at least. I'll try and have a look at that at the weekend.

Could you create a thread under mods repository[VP]? I think just a link and description to this thread would be a good idea. This mod is popular in VP community but they should switch to this for compatibility reasons. Many are unaware because it is listed outside of the community patch thread group.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Code:
Texture Load Error: Unable to load texture [NewPromos16.dds]
During gameplay turn processing, it continued to next turn and than had several more popups that I had to click on to get it to let me access interface. I exited game and disabled mod for the interim.

Last edited:
Thats very odd. When you say there were several more popups, were they all for the same texture?

Do you recall ever seeing any units with any of these icons earlier in the game?
NewPromos16.png

If you re-enable the mod does the problem immediately re-occur?

Thats very odd. When you say there were several more popups, were they all for the same texture?

Do you recall ever seeing any units with any of these icons earlier in the game?

If you re-enable the mod does the problem immediately re-occur?
The pop-ups were same message and I had to close about six of them before I had access again. I remember seeing at least one of those icons. I haven't tried mod again. I just installed the new patch, I'll be starting a new game soon.

Weird, the only time I've ever seen Civ throw that type of error is when texture file doesn't exist. You could double check that NewPromos16.dds does exist in \MODS\Promotion Flags EUI (v 1.1)\Icons. I can't see why it wouldn't, but otherwise I'm at a loss for what could have caused it.

Weird, the only time I've ever seen Civ throw that type of error is when texture file doesn't exist. You could double check that NewPromos16.dds does exist in \MODS\Promotion Flags EUI (v 1.1)\Icons. I can't see why it wouldn't, but otherwise I'm at a loss for what could have caused it.
I remember gaining the "Heroism" promotion because I captured a general from the enemy a few turns before it [Global - Capture Great People]. What happens normally without this mod activated? Great person just dissapears?
Code:
Heroism: Awards combat bonus as if a Great Gerneal
And I remember not seeing a new promotion icon from the top and assuming there was no icon for it. But I don't know if it was related to the error popup.

Capturing a General with Global - Capture Great People should result in the general disappearing, and the capturing unit gaining the Heroes promotion (not Heroism, which is one of the vanilla Kris Swordsman promotions) .

With PromotionFlagsEUI the Heroes promotion should be shown with this icon:
MoreNewPromos-45.dds - IrfanView_2018_04_01_13_06_28.png

Both above the unit and in the unit panel. What icon did you get in the UnitPanel? The yellow triangle?

That's not directly related to the error message above though, as that icon is in a different file.

Last edited:
Heroes promotion (not Heroism, which is one of the vanilla Kris Swordsman promotions) .

Both above the unit and in the unit panel. What icon did you get in the UnitPanel? The yellow triangle?

That's not directly related to the error message above though, as that icon is in a different file.
Oh, I assumed it was heroism trait, I was wrong. I didn't see any extra icon added at the time. I removed capture great people mod. Do you use it?

I do, I like the flavour it adds, and the temptation to try risky attacks to grab the promotion. If you look at the bottom of the screen shot in the OP there's a tank and a bazooka with the promotion, and ship with it at the extreme left edge.

Did you check that the NewPromos16.dds file does actually exist?

Not a lot really, set the mod's Debug option to true, and make sure the lua log is enabled. I'm not hopefully it'll reveal anything though, as it that error appears to come directly from the graphics system.

If it does happen again, could you try just restarting the game and reloading, to see if re-occurs immediately, or a few turns (or minutes\hours) later?

Top Bottom