1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Promotion percentages in relation to base value

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Reg Pither, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Reg Pither

Reg Pither Warlord

I've spent a good hour scouring the forum and War Academy for these details, and I'm sure they must be there somewhere as they're such a basic thing, but I'm having no luck.

How are percentage promotions added to a unit?

If a Knight has 10 strength and gets the Combat 1 10% promotion, naturally enough, it goes up to 11.

If it then gets the Combat II 10 % promotion, is the addition 10% of 11, or is it 10% of its 'natural' strength of 10? So does it go to strength 12.1 or to strength 12?

I know this should be learned on day one, first class, but I'm not sure now and not sure if I ever actually knew. It's not like I've been playing this game for years or anything... :blush:

2. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Always to the natural strength i.e. combat II means +20% to the base strength. Note that while combat promos work like this, others work quite unintuitively. For example city raider I doesn't add your strength by +25%, it reduces the defender's bonuses by 25% (like fortify, city defences etc). What this means is that the higher strength advantage you have, the better combat promos are.

3. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah first strikes and such but if you mouse over and see the calculated strengths it helps you see some of the more basic ones.

4. pob

pob Deity²