Promotions overview

Montov

King
Civilopedia lacks a proper overview of the paths of promotion for the different types of units, so it is really difficult to know what promotion lies ahead. Some unit groups aren't eligible for certain promotion, but you won't know until you see that for example a Tank cannot have Ambush (Bonus vs Tanks) when you reach Drill II.

There are numerous other examples, so I just tested it and listed all the promotion paths of the different unit types I could see. And maybe someone else might like it, so I'm sharing it here. To keep it compact, I only used icons and no text, but imho it is not hard to recognize the promotions based on the icons.

Note, there is a unit type Gun, but it is the same as Melee. And 'Siege' is the the same as Archer (at least, with version 1.01.141)
Note #2, I couldn't find a image of the Woodsman promotion for Melee, so it is an empty promotion...

Melee (and Gun):
Spoiler :

Archer (and Siege):
Spoiler :

Mounted:
Spoiler :

Armored:
Spoiler :

Helicopter:
Spoiler :

Recon:
Spoiler :

Naval:
Spoiler :

Bomber:
Spoiler :

Fighter:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ5_Promotions_Bomber_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Bomber_Small.png
    107 KB · Views: 2,047
  • Civ5_Promotions_Fighter_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Fighter_Small.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,971
  • Civ5_Promotions_Heli_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Heli_Small.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,988
  • Civ5_Promotions_Melee_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Melee_Small.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 3,561
  • Civ5_Promotions_Mounted_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Mounted_Small.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,968
  • Civ5_Promotions_Naval_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Naval_Small.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,986
  • Civ5_Promotions_Ranged_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Ranged_Small.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,012
  • Civ5_Promotions_Recon_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Recon_Small.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,951
  • Civ5_Promotions_Tank_Small.png
    Civ5_Promotions_Tank_Small.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,115
This is great, thanks! I think I'd like to add some labels and other little info when I get home. Maybe if someone else was inclined they could make them all nice and pretty a la the Civolopedia's style or something.

Also illustrates how differently the promotions are placed. I noticed right away how siege units get to March faster than melee units, etc.

SilverKnight

This should probably get moved to the Strategy Articles forum so it doesn't get lost here.

Your right about there being poor documentation on promotions. When I saw the woodsman promotion available on one unit and not another I tried looking it up, but it wasn't in the civilopedia or the manual! Like it didn't even exist. I wondered if there was some mod I was sing that added it and didn't document it because it would be crazy for it to be in the main game but not documented anywhere. Crazy.
I assumed it was only available through drill (because it's for rough terrain) but it looks like I was wrong.

This is very helpful! I would also love if someone was able to do the labels on them and share it.

Top Bottom