1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Proofs that God is imaginary

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by eastsidebagel, Apr 13, 2009.

1. eastsidebagel

eastsidebagel Deity

I stole the content of this thread mainly from this site:

http://godisimaginary.com/

Here are my personal Top 3 points which are supposed to give every sincere Christian a headache:

How can you excuse this?
    Those verses are IMO pure gold for every raging Atheist who tries to accumulate ammunation for his disputes with Christians.
    After reading this, how will you defend your belief?

Disclaimer: Why am I making this thread? It's not about trolling, but it is simple curiosity on my side to hear what some of our Christian posters think about this stuff which I copied.

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Well, if you were to ask me, and for largely these reasons, the Bible isn't all it's cracked up to be. It is merely a collection of texts written by various authors over a very large period of time, with very mixed motives.

So, I would not try and refute these arguments too much. I would say that religion is an attempt to explain the unknown, and in doing this, some flaws have been made. Or something like that.

3. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

I'm not sure that you're going to get far by telling Christians that they are idiots, but the argument of Epicurius is the best, still:

• 'God' is omnipotent
    • 'God' is Good, and wants to make people have as good lives as possible
    • Evil exists
    • If God is able to defeat evil, but does not, then he is not good, and therefore is not God, and therefore God does not exist
    • If God wants to remove evil, then he cannot, and is therefore not omnipotent and therefore does not fit with the definiton of God and therefore - God does not exist

4. Thorbal

Thorbal not enough ram!

I don´t think that this is a very good argument. Why should the "goodness" of God equal having people live a good life (what we define as one)? I´d say it could very well be the opposite. Perhaps humanity needs a few catastrophes every now and then :) ? The whole line of conclusions hinges on the definition of "good".

___

Anyway, I don´t see a problem regarding the OP. I don´t take the Bible literally, problem solved :). It´s a very interesting collection of anecdotes etc, not a history book.

5. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Somehow I doubt that.
    The first one I looked at was an imperative instruction, not an argument or a claim, which is the wrong category to be nonsense. So was the second one.
    I think I'll wait until you stop raging and can be reasonable, then. The rest of the material is of similar atrocious quality. Try harder next time, preferably with something non-trollish enough that you don't feel like you have to add the "not a troll but" disclaimer. At present this feels like a Fox News attack piece.

6. Flying Pig

Innocent people suffer. If God is just, he does not want innocent people to suffer. By definition, God is just.

7. Thorbal

Thorbal not enough ram!

There are no innocent people :D .

But isn´t that still a projection of our values? Think of the Old Testament, Hiob etc. That guy suffered a lot as well!
    And (I´m certainly no expert in bible interpretation) is justice not something which will be taken care of after your earthly life, not during? Isn´t "heaven" a "reward" for being a stalwart christian in the face of all the suffering and temptations?

8. bhsup

bhsup Deity

The actions caused by humans can cause other humans to suffer. The reasons humans can take those actions is because of free will. God loves us so much, he has given us free will, but that doesn't mean he approves of every action we take. Pain and suffering exist because of us, not because of God.

9. eastsidebagel

eastsidebagel Deity

For my defense, I added this disclaimer for anybody foolish enough to believe that I'm trying to bash Christianity in general. All I wanted was to get some arguments for the sake of this faith from those people in here who actually believe the Bible word by word.
    As I said in the last thread, free will according to Christians is like a poor illusion, for we still suffer for a mistake which our oldest ancestor (Eve) has done before thousands of years, but yet, we still must feel guilty about that and have to seek for a celestial redemption which will help us out of our misery.
    But if we fail in our considerably shortened life span to find and to recognize this admittedly very disguised, true belief, we will get punished in any case. So if our free will is only capable of choosing between eternal life and eternal, complete misery, but exactly this that choice is very hard to realize and to grasp, then I dare to call God, who established and encourages all those tenets, to be bigoted and sadistic. If it's within his power to save everyone of us, why does he have to make it then so hard to see? Wouldn't a truly loving being get rid off all those rules and just make it totally obvious for every person that he alone ascertains true salvation?

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

What I find neat about the "these arguments will cause headaches!" statements is that they very clearly don't cause headaches. It just shows the communication divide, and the logic divide. There are obviously very different axioms being used.

11. Azale

Azale Deity

Whoah, excepts from a site called godisimaginary.com, you're breaking new ground here. I except the Pope's resignation by noon at least.

12. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

I think the primary problems with the god creature that humans believe in are:

He's absolutely good.
    He's perfect.

Once you quit believing those, then some god space-alien creature can actually make sense. With those two things above I pointed out, the god creature that people believe in makes utterly no sense whatsoever.

13. kulade

kulade Deity

This thread will undoubtedly change everyone's mind.

14. eastsidebagel

eastsidebagel Deity

Hey, I just looked for a cool catch line and I found this one as the most approbiate one...
    He gave me already a call about this and told me about his concern! :lol:
    The boldened part still doesn't make sense if you believe the reports of the Bible. And it would certainly contradict with the traditional lores of the Christians too, if God wasn't like an all-seeing, all-knowing spiritistic being in Genesis which created all the universe from scratch, but instead a technologically advanced, yet mortal and imperfect creature like an alien from outta space.

15. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Nothing in the Bible conflicts with the theory that god is a space alien who lies.

16. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

The Bible doesn't make sense. If you stop believing that the god creature is perfect and absolutely good, then a flawed Bible becomes logically possible.

And god can only be from outer space. If such a creature created the Earth, then it's not from Earth.

17. eastsidebagel

eastsidebagel Deity

I understand your point, but would such a deity, which is most probably long dead by now, still be worthy of being worshipped and prayed to?

18. Flying Pig

God created outer space too ;)

Really, you can either believe that God doesn't care, in which case there are few grounds for believing in Him at all, or the Christian God which is easy to de-rationalise.

Besides, anyone who has read the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy will know that God vanished.

19. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

I laughed so hard that I snorted :goodjob:

20. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Most importantly, in a puff of logic. Which just goes to show, you can't expect to prove God through logic, and as such, you can't expect to disprove God through logic. IMO.