Proposal: Elimination of magical natural wonders.

Elimination of fountain of youth, kilimanjaro, sri pada from the game. Or getting rid of their unique promotions, and giving them some yields instead.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I thought I was putting it in the congress. Please move or delete this and I will recreate.

Elimination of fountain of youth, kilimanjaro, sri pada from the game. Or getting rid of their unique promotions, and giving them some yields instead.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I thought I was putting it in the congress. Please move or delete this and I will recreate.
I especially agree on the Fountain of Youth. A magical wonder has its place in a fantasy setting, not in Civ.

Last edited:
Altitude Training is certainly something no one has ever done, even in high fantasy... /s
sure, especially if it wasn't one mountain division for 100 normal, but whole armed forces, millions of soldiers. maybe, if this civlization v had a subtitle: warhammer...

Last edited:
So Sri pads and Kilimanjaro are magical, but the Mines of Solomon and El dorado are not?

This went a different direction than I expected. So it’s really the promotions you have a problem with, not the fictional natural wonders.

Last edited:
all are magical. there is no reason a crater on the middle of nowhere or great barrier reef provides any science for ancient barbarians or medieval kingdoms. or sinai mountain with food. promotions are just not only magical and out of place but also unbalanced. leaving nws without them seems poitnless as we already have a cultural mountain in fuji, and so on.

If Kilimanjaro is magical, I wouldn't look too closely at what the Inca are capable of, even in civilian units.
examine what inca achieved as a civilization in a harsh environment with organization & training that was needed for logistics in mountains , and you'll know how demeaning it is to compare it with free magical ability from a fact some mountain is in your border most of your citizens will never see and majority can even live in lowlands. inca are entitled to it, i never heard of russians traversing mountains like plains cause some highest mountain in europe is in their territory .

It sounds like your problem is with the QOL decision to give the promotions to your units instantly, instead of the original gameplay where you had to send each new unit on a pilgrimage to the NW to gain the effect. I could get behind adding more promotions to other NWs though, that sounds like more fun than the scaling yields we have now.

all are magical. there is no reason a crater on the middle of nowhere or great barrier reef provides any science for ancient barbarians or medieval kingdoms. or sinai mountain with food. promotions are just not only magical and out of place but also unbalanced. leaving nws without them seems poitnless as we already have a cultural mountain in fuji, and so on.
This sounds like you just want to remove natural wonders. That’s fine, you can remove them in a setting

The Fountain of Youth, Mount Kilimanjaro and Sir Pada are the only natural wonders that are actually worth working to get.

If anything we need to make the other ones better.

This sounds like you just want to remove natural wonders. That’s fine, you can remove them in a setting
I mean I'm not against them totally, additional colors on the map are always welcomed. It's just so gamey and unbalanced to for example have sri pada and there is no option to not get their promotions. I also get why @Zanteogo says those three are only ones worth it. They are straight OP but give any additional flavor.

What if came up with unique small buff/mechanic for every NW? No magic like +healing but a slight buff for monopolies/traderoutes/certain GPTI/tiles if ajacent? for example buffing considerably buffing academies around olf faithful but only from later eras or tech, while - being having a academy on bare desert before? giving faith and tourism to all improvements around sinai, +cs to ships around gibraltar?

Last edited:
I would probably try and find an existing promotion to give each NW. To me Fountain of Youth isn't "magic healing", it's global Medic; Kilimanjaro is Woodsman for Hills. There'll be some cases where you gain a NW that grants you a promo you've already taken, and I think that's fine. It's a little bit of variance, and it's not like you'd skip a NW just because your units so far already might have its bonus.

I mean I'm not against them totally, additional colors on the map are always welcomed. It's just so gamey and unbalanced to for example have sri pada and there is no option to not get their promotions. I also get why @Zanteogo says those three are only ones worth it. They are straight OP but give any additional flavor.

What if came up with unique small buff/mechanic for every NW? No magic like +healing but a slight buff for monopolies/traderoutes/certain GPTI/tiles if ajacent?

I would agree that they aren't overpowered, but the other ones are UNDER powered. It would be nice if fighting for them was something we wanted to do. Right now I would only bother working to get The Fountain of Youth and Mount Kilimanjaro. Even Sir Pada isn't worth a war for. The rest just aren't worth it. The bonus they give is minor compared to the total output of any mid sized empire.

If you would like to make a new proposal to make ALL of the wonders good, even reworking the two really good ones, I would be willing to consider.

I would probably try and find an existing promotion to give each NW. To me Fountain of Youth isn't "magic healing", it's global Medic; Kilimanjaro is Woodsman for Hills. There'll be some cases where you gain a NW that grants you a promo you've already taken, and I think that's fine. It's a little bit of variance, and it's not like you'd skip a NW just because your units so far already might have its bonus.
in a rougly historical game global medic should be obtaining by building military infrastructure to lvl up units, certain belief which simulates priests with medical knowledge, or some mega investments in medical buildings in each city at the cost of not building something else at this time. not by claiming a magical tile. that's just my thinking and i can't help it. :confused:

You guys ought to look at @adan_eslavo ‘s more wonders, which has a natural wonder component. He adds little bonuses to all wonders, and even adds some new ones

To me Fountain of Youth isn't "magic healing", it's global Medic
IMO the problem with the Fountain of Youth isn't the "magic healing", but the wonder itself that comes from fairy tales. This is one of the very few fairy tale-ish things in the game. The other one that comes to mind is the magic swords of Indonesian warriors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom