Proposal for new victory conditions

I've been intrigued by the idea of having only one victory condition but that still caters to different play styles. I think I came up with a novel new victory.

My idea is to completely scrap the existing victories. Instead, the player would win by achieving any 2 of their choice of the following conditions:
1 - Control at least 75% of all land tiles.
2 - Research 5(?) future techs.
3 - Research 5(?) future civics.
4 - Achieve 1000(?) tourism.
5 - Have your religion be the majority religion in at least 75% of all cities.
6 - Reach a total population of 400(?).
7 - Build at least 20(?) wonders.
8 - Recruit at least 20(?) Great People.
9 - Ally with at least 75% of the civs in the game.

Some of the numbers that have "?" around them could be tweaked to make sure the choices are adequately difficult. But you get the idea. I purposely picked 9 choices that cater to different areas of the game. As you can see there is something for every play style. But at the same time, all the choices represent something great about your civilization. So, this victory would still represent the idea well that your civilization has achieved true greatness. It would also help cut the game short maybe and avoid the late game malaise since when a civ has achieved 2 of these choices, they would be pretty dominant anyway and deserve to win.

This new victory would also allow players to customize how they win the game. With needing any 2 out of 9, there would be a lot of permutations, giving players lots of different ways to win. I calculate that there would be 72 different permutations. So this idea would give players a lot more ways to win the game than the current static victory conditions.

Last edited:
I mean you can enable every victory conditions in the game and then you can decide what victory you should choose in-game. I think it works the same as the idea that you just proposed.

I mean you can enable every victory conditions in the game and then you can decide what victory you should choose in-game. I think it works the same as the idea that you just proposed.

Thanks for the reply. I think the big difference is that my idea is much more flexible and gives the player a lot more ways to win. In the current game, there are only 5 ways to win the game and those ways are pretty narrow. With my idea, there are essentially 72 different ways to win the game. I feel like my idea would cover a lot more situations where the player should be declared the winner but isn't in the current game.

I've been intrigued by the idea of having only one victory condition but that still caters to different play styles. I think I came up with a novel new victory.

My idea is to completely scrap the existing victories. Instead, the player would win by achieving any 2 of their choice of the following conditions:
1 - Control at least 75% of all land tiles.
2 - Research 5(?) future techs.
3 - Research 5(?) future civics.
4 - Achieve 1000(?) tourism.
5 - Have your religion be the majority religion in at least 75% of all cities.
6 - Reach a total population of 400(?).
7 - Build at least 20(?) wonders.
8 - Recruit at least 20(?) Great People.
9 - Ally with at least 75% of the civs in the game.

Some of the numbers that have "?" around them could be tweaked to make sure the choices are adequately difficult. But you get the idea. I purposely picked 9 choices that cater to different areas of the game. As you can see there is something for every play style. But at the same time, all the choices represent something great about your civilization. So, this victory would still represent the idea well that your civilization has achieved true greatness. It would also help cut the game short maybe and avoid the late game malaise since when a civ has achieved 2 of these choices, they would be pretty dominant anyway and deserve to win.

This new victory would also allow players to customize how they win the game. With needing any 2 out of 9, there would be a lot of permutations, giving players lots of different ways to win. I calculate that there would be 72 different permutations. So this idea would give players a lot more ways to win the game than the current static victory conditions.
This is interesting. It would make playstyles more flexible and make victory more open ended and less railroaded to have conditions like this. I think this would be pretty competitive, but the problem would be rewriting the AI to recognize these conditions. Absolutely not against this kind of victory overhaul.

This is interesting. It would make playstyles more flexible and make victory more open ended and less railroaded to have conditions like this. I think this would be pretty competitive, but the problem would be rewriting the AI to recognize these conditions. Absolutely not against this kind of victory overhaul.

Thanks for the vote of support. In terms of the AI, I think the best thing to do would be to pre-program each AI civ to competitively pursue 2 or 3 of the victory objectives based on their civ abilities. A warmonger civ could be programmed to expand quickly with settlers and of course conquer their neighbors which would help them achieve #1 more easily. A wonder building civ like China could be programmed to build a lot of wonders which would help them achieve #7.

This new victory model could actually make it easier for the AI to win since instead of trying to program the AI to achieve a science victory for example which is pretty complicated, you just need to program the AI to be good at something simple like expanding fast or building lots of wonders. And since it would just need to achieve 2 of the 9, it might make things more competitive actually. Your victory screen would of course tell you how you and the other civs are doing for each victory condition so you would know how close a civ is to winning.

Thanks for the vote of support. In terms of the AI, I think the best thing to do would be to pre-program each AI civ to competitively pursue 2 or 3 of the victory objectives based on their civ abilities. A warmonger civ could be programmed to expand quickly with settlers and of course conquer their neighbors which would help them achieve #1 more easily. A wonder building civ like China could be programmed to build a lot of wonders which would help them achieve #7.

This new victory model could actually make it easier for the AI to win since instead of trying to program the AI to achieve a science victory for example which is pretty complicated, you just need to program the AI to be good at something simple like expanding fast or building lots of wonders. And since it would just need to achieve 2 of the 9, it might make things more competitive actually. Your victory screen would of course tell you how you and the other civs are doing for each victory condition so you would know how close a civ is to winning.
You’re welcome! I love more open ended victory ideas, it’s more immersive.

You know what this kind of reminds me of? The unique historical victories in the Rhye’s and Fall mod in civ IV. I really liked those. It’s also more realistic IMO because it’s like trying to outdo each other in achievements which feels more real to life in how nations work, as opposed to “capture all the enemy capitals so we win”. It’s more organic of a system you’re suggesting, which is great!

Maybe after researching so many Future Techs you create a sentient AI and you have to fight a war against a computer-controlled robot civ. :crazyeye::scan::nuke: Now THAT'S what I call an Emergency.
Skynet Emergency triggered? Lol we’re all doomed

Top Bottom