[Proposal] Sailing to Europe/Africa/PortRoyale should not be possible within 9 tile radius from land

Do you agree that distance from landmasses to high seas should be increased?

• Yarrr!

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Nay!

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

nci

Warlord
... on RaR Americas Gigantic

Reasoning:

Strategically placing colonies near starting locations of Spain, Russia and, to a lesser degree, Portugal and Denmark, allow both players and AI to sail from a colony to Europe in a single turn, completely defeating piracy. I believe such advantage is unfair and unjustified, and negatively impacts gameplay, greatly reducing the viability of naval combat.

I believe only really fast ships, like upgraded Sloop, should be capable of sailing to Europe in a single turn - and ships without upgrades should not be able to reach colonies in single turn after leaving high seas either.*

* sailing to Europe requires additional move compared to reaching colonies after high seas.

On a realistic map that is impossible - Iceland is practically on the edge of the map and moving the transferpoint for vanishing to Europe farther away for a danish player that established a colony there could only move it south not east.

While a spanish player who, e.g. on the RAR Americas gigantic map starts near the coast of Mexico would have to travel a gigantic way, if the transfer points would be moved to the edge of the map and a portuguese player in Brazil would again be very close to it.

As long as all colonizers can use all America-Europe-Transferpoints some will always be closer to them.

However that does not hinder naval combat - you just have to wait for your prey between their port and the transferpoint, blocking the direct path.

... on RaR Americas Gigantic
There is no need to change the existing map. :dunno:

You can simply create a new map "RaR Americas Gigantic - Long Distance to Europe" and share it with community. :thumbsup:
(Just copy it and make the required adjustments. If you have questions, let me know.)

Since you do not need anybody's permission for that there is no need to vote either. :dunno:
If requested we could also add it to the Map Scenarios that are shiped in WTP releases.

Simply do it if you like. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
However that does not hinder naval combat - you just have to wait for your prey between their port and the transferpoint, blocking the direct path.
An option indeed.
You can simply create a new map "RaR Americas Gigantic - Long Distance to Europe" and share it with community.
That is my intention, but I'd still appreciate discussion on the subject.

Well I did replaced the default starting positions and deleted some "travel to Europe" plot "feature".
Helped a bit - at least considering start of the game/ first colonies.

But the problem is the geography of the map plots.
South America is the most accurate, yet IT IS at the east edge of the map.
So without adding new plots to the map -> it is hardly possible to put more far the "travel to Europe" plots for portugal.
:sad:
And adding new plots as rows/ lines (as far I know) only possible in the file itself as text.
many new ones like this:
BeginPlot
x=15,y=10
EuropeType=EUROPE_WEST
TerrainType=TERRAIN_OCEAN
PlotType=3
EndPlot

But there are too much chance for bugs -> even one wrong character can crash it, mainly missing plots. :aargh::aargh::aargh:

So probably more easy to create a whole new map.
That also can make N. America less "turned"/ sized up eg. more accurate. :thumbsup:

By the way:
Are there map making tutorials? :mischief:

Reactions: nci
And adding new plots as rows/ lines (as far I know) only possible in the file itself as text.

Do I understand you correctly?

You want to increase MapSize by manual text editing ? :confused:
Trust me, forget about that ...

You may try that, but ...
At least consider to correct these here though:

Code:
BeginMap
   grid width=136
   grid height=256
    num plots written=34816

If people are to update the map, how about increasing the map size to get around the issue with black terrain when zooming out. I think it can be done by simply adding map size and it will fill with ocean (the default plot value).
Ideally the map should be moved east if this is done, making more ocean on both sides. I suppose that can be scripted.

I will add the disclaimer that I haven't actually tried this and for that reason isn't 100% sure it will work.

PlotType=3
Maybe that should be allowed to be "PlotTypes=PLOT_OCEAN", but that would require a DLL update :think:
Also that update should be backward compatible as I don't really feel like updating all the maps.

Do I understand you correctly?

You want to increase MapSize by manual text editing ?

No. :lol:
Anno tried -> find too troublesome/ time consuming, and too much chance for bugs. :crazyeye:
Even considering I have some experience to making maps in text editor -> in galactic civilizations 2 that was the only way for maps (one character mistake/ mistype -> CTD ) but those maps were more simple. :)

I could offer a training in the WTP Academy for it.

Zoom not for me -> tried once. :shake:
But if you write a text tutorial probably not I would be the only one who say :thanx:

Last edited:
But if you write a text tutorial probably not I would be the only one who say :thanx:

This here is the last "mini-tutorial" I had written about it. :thumbsup:
(Think I had written one for RaR as well, but it is heavily outdated.)

I have seen that when searched for tutorials.
The audience for it is however experienced Map Makers - already knowing Civ4Col or Civ4BTS Vanilla - that I would not need to explain Worldbuilder.
(e.g. Modders that understand differences between "Europe West" and "Europe East" or that Villages have Roads underneath that are not removed if Village is regenerated or ...)

It basically just explains "What to especially take care in WTP?".
(Because we added things like e.g. "Wild Anmials" or "Randomization Options" that other mods do not have.)

So it is simply not a beginners tutorial. :dunno:
(No tips and tricks how to create maps efficiently and how to make well balanced gameplay maps or ...)

If people are to update the map, how about increasing the map size to get around the issue with black terrain when zooming out. I think it can be done by simply adding map size and it will fill with ocean (the default plot value).
Ideally the map should be moved east if this is done, making more ocean on both sides. I suppose that can be scripted.
Judging by the poll, most players/modders are not interested in the idea. So what I'm thinking, then, is to create a few scripts:
1.remove Europe access from tiles where it is unneeded in new paradigm
2. move the map
3. create additional tiles
4. create ice where needed
5. add Europe access where needed
And run these scripts every time a new version of RaR - Americas Gigantic is released, to create an additional version of the map.

Top Bottom