1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposal: War events

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Drunk-Monk, Jan 27, 2020.

1. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

I love the idea. But I agree that there are bigger, sooner objectives. If someone decides to invest their expertise I'm all for it.

I dont even know how to find/edit XML stuff so it wont be me lol

2. Drunk-Monk

Drunk-Monk Chieftain

No, not at all. I want it to be random, or semi-random as in influenced by historic factors. The example I gave in my post, was just something I imagined could happen over the course of a game.

This already happens. The player is forced into War with other players throughout the game, just without explanation or warning.

We could have, worsening relations with the King. More tax rises. Inconvenience from loss of market for a couple of turns. Opportunity cost of not having the chance to strengthen units.

Again does this not already happen during the course of the game? There is an event where a native power will suddenly declare war.

I wouldn't want a game breaking event. Just something that expands on the system we already have, just with more flavour and consequences. Many of the wars would be against players not in the game, so the AI or player could never come to game breaking harm.

CptBadger likes this.
  3. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Ok, then we are basically talking about 1 or 2 more random DLL-Diplo-Events with a bit of variation that can potentiallly fire a few times a game like now. :thumbsup:
    Maybe we can come up with something that does not feel too much like a copy of current "European Wars" or "European Peace".

Some of the things you are asking for are much likely too difficult / too much effort / too much risk to do.
    (e.g. "War Alliances", "Units leaving and returning with promotions", "AIs declaring War to each other without game play reasons" ...)

Other things like e.g. "Price Increases" / "Price Decreases / giving Promotions / Attitude Modification / ... can already done by simple Python Events.

But a system that tells a complex story over a chain of several events simply does not exist.
    (Python events can only trigger small follow up events but are not powerful enough yet for many of the things you suggest.)

Let us see thought what we can come up with. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  4. Drunk-Monk

Drunk-Monk Chieftain

Maybe, we are speaking past each other. Those events are great, I just want them to have more substance and feel less arbitrary. Alliances would just be the current war event but featuring more nations, not a totally new concept.

5. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

I know but "forcing" several AIs to Alliances or Wars can have lots of effects on gameplay.
    It might have no reason at all and disturb AI "plans" heavily.

DLL-Diplo-Events are of much smaller scale.
    And "Human" basically makes all decisions but AIs themselves are not forced to anything that could cause problems.

Please understand this is a "sandbox game" and messing too much with the sandbox by "huge interventions" like "Several-Player-Wars" and "Several-Player-Alliances"
    will heavily impact that "sandbox game feeling" and I will thus not do it. It should at most be limitted to "Human" vs. "one other Nation" and "Human makes decision".

I will not arbitrarilly / randomly force several AIs into a huge War (in the middle of the game) and I will not arbitrarilly / randomly force several AIs into a huge Alliance (in the middle of the game) if there is no gameply reasons for that.
    Also it is extremely difficult to reasonably consider game situation of those AIs. (e.g distance, current relationship, ...)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

As long as it is random and not scripted, I would like it. As long as priority wise, it makes sense to put time into it.

CptBadger likes this.