1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed Alliance with Apolyton

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Octavian X, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

With consent, I plan to send the following letter to Apolyton:

People of the Republic of Apolyton:

With each passing day, we receive new, sad, tales from the Iron Mountains of the heroic actions of the men who make the ultimate sacrifice for their Emperor and their nation, all at the hands of the evil Catcherian hordes.

We tire of this war. Watching the sons of Fanatikou die in a hopeless conflict takes the hope for a brighter future out of a man’s heart. While we remain confident that the Aploytonian people will soon strike a deadly blow to our mortal enemies, this hope for a clear future is always dimmed.

Fanatikou recognizes that when Apolyton’s floodgates are opened, it’s great forces, emboldened by the spirit of revenge for our fallen Elucidian comrades and Fanatikese brothers, they will become victorious. However, we increasingly are beginning to realize that such a victory will be at our very great expense. This centuries-old conflict has taken its great toll already on our once-mighty Empire, leaving us little to actually call a nation. It is all too probably that (unless Apolyton intentionally stunts its own growth, or if we were given a far greater portion of the spoils of war than we likely deserve) Fanatikou will become a power on this continent second to Apolyton.

That prospect frightens us, as it would frighten any non-masochistic nation. As two yet unmet powers, Netalonia and Webringen, both grow to heights yet unmatched by our two nations, the future begins to scare us even more.

That in mind, we humbly approach our Apolytonian brothers with a proposal: a more formal alliance. Not one simply against the Gamecatcher Alliance, but a permanent, grand, continental alliance to last for all time, one to secure peace in our mutual homeland, and to defend against invaders that may threaten our continent in the far-off future.

Your humble brothers in times of war and peace,
    The People of the Empire of Fanatikou

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I just hope the Polys dont suffer the same fate that CDG did :eek: :sad:

3. Sheep

Sheep Orange Shrooms!

I would send this. Given the current situation, what else can we do?

4. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Why not? What do we have to lose?

5. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Yeah, and how could they also lose to GCA, if we are also fighting?

That letter i sastonishingly good. I support sending it to Poly.

6. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

I am also a fan.
    However, do you want to use the humbling terminology in the end of that? It's kind of like sticking our neck out on the line or showing all the cards.

7. Octavian X

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Care to clarify?

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Well written, honost, important document. However I have 2 problems with it

First is a typo: should be probable with the E not Y.

The second is somply the choice of wording. I would have written:

Unless you plan to stop growth and at the same time we manage to have impossibly good luck against GCA, we will waste ourselves, and GCA will become the most powerful nation.

Or something closer to that. Because why should they not want us second to them? What you wrote basically says that if they help us we will be the best on the continent, and they will be second. They do not want that.

9. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

I one two things to say Octavian.

One, include something similar to these lines: GCA only grows stronger every moment. They destroyed one civilization. They are starting to destroy another, but who knows if they will stop there. They are tricky, unrightous people. They cannot be trusted and shouldn't be trusted. A permanent alliance can give us peace in the end. The alliance can destroy this threat and any threats in the future.

If you could implement any of that, I would be most happy about it.

Two, nice proposal...

10. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I do not think they will sign any formal agreement at this time.

In my opinion, I believe the only thing that will get Apolyton off their butts and into this war is the threat of GCA eliminating us from the game. I would use this to our advantage and start putting that fear into their minds.

Up until now, they have been able to grow without concern about either GCA or us because we have been preoccupied with killing each other. Once one of us is gone, Poly's little veil of obscurity will be gone forever. The surviving power will surely look to the north to secure their "natural" borders and that means Poly's going to have to deal with a much bigger nation 1 on 1.

We should let them know that because of their lethargy and reluctance to declare war openly, GCA has been able to direct a sizable force to our borders and now threatens to cripple our ability to defend ourselves for good. If they intend to join the fight, it had better be now and not five turns from now.

Then again, that's just my opinion. Whatever we do, we should get it done soon.

11. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

But with the new proposal from Apolyton in the Dialog Thread, Apolyton says that they wont attack for another 10 turns.
    I hope we're still there when they attack...

12. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

I agree with this letter. Let's send it, with some added wording about how likely it would be that we be destroyed or crippled if they don't send their troops quickly.

13. Octavian X

Actually, now that I think about it, we should wait until the war is over. I wrote it out of fear of the threat they could pose to us in the future, but they won't really threaten us until later.

14. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

No, send the first part now, urging that now is the time to fight, now that we are at our limit. I think we must send them a screenshot of the iron city situation, ASAP. Then they will see the pain we suffer.

15. Sheep

Sheep Orange Shrooms!

Shower them with gifts of candy

16. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I agree with Hygro. I think this suggestion is good.:)