1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed Amendments

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by peter grimes, Nov 25, 2008.

1. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

There are two proposed amendments up for a vote in the UN. 3 of the 5 teams must approve the amendment for it to be added to the ruleset.

The proposed rule clarifies the conditions under which teams may contact eachother. This will prevent teams that haven't encountered eachother in the game from trading info, or establishing alignments, or discussing a third team.

This rule will ensure that, in the event of a server reboot, the game actions taken by all teams will be consistent. In practice, the result is each team will have a detailed record of all actions taken on each turn.

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

For my part, I'm in favor of adopting both amendments, as written.

3. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

I support the amendments, The first clarifies my vote in the open, and the second is self-evidence.

4. topas

topas Prince

I also support both amendments.

Maybe the term "Teams are encouraged to keep..." in the second amendment could be a bit stronger "have to"(?), but anyway...

5. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I agree:

Teams are encouraged to must keep an explicit log of actions taken to facilitate the best recreation possible.

6. James009

James009 Warlord

I vote to pass both amendments as is.

So long as you are required to "faithfully recreate in-game actions" I see the need to force civilizations to "keep explicit logs of their actions" as unnecessary because it's vague, difficult to enforce, unnecessary, and a violation of sovereignty.

Just look at how different individuals maintain logs, some are unorganized, some or very throughout, what is an "explicit log"? If another civilization wants to keep poor logs then let that be their prerogative.

Additionally, I would suggest that we add some measures to enforce the violation of these rules such as some action of "moderation enforcement", loss of gold, loss of resources, trade sanctions, forced anarchy, or a unanimous declaration of war. Otherwise these are just left to goodwill enforcement and, historically, that doesn't work out too well.

Then again, I'm looking at this from my perspective from other non-civilization games, maybe it works here. However, in time I can just about promise you that the rules will be broken and you're going to need some enforcement measures.

7. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

It's never been a problem in the past.

And just to be clear - moderators police the forums. They have nothing to do with the game itself. The Game Administrators would be the ones doing the enforcing.

But the less we rely on admins, the better. The more we self-police, the smoother the game will be.

8. James009

James009 Warlord

Put it on paper.

9. Lord Neil

Lord Neil Prince

I support the changes.

10. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

I support both amendments.

11. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

So far we've got 6 votes in favor of the amendments, no dissenting voices.

Unless there's a wave of NOs, I think it's safe to inform the UN that Team 5 approves these amendments. Perhaps tomorrow?

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I vote yes.

13. JoeyDawt

JoeyDawt Chieftain

I vote yes for both

14. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

OK, guys... I really dropped the ball on posting our position on these amendments *blush*

We've already come to an agreement to approve 1.4 and 2.2. I'll make that known in the UN.

The only one we haven't formally discussed is 1.5: Teams are not allowed to play ahead on a downloaded version of the current save (that includes any and all actions).

Though the wording isn't optimal, I see no reason not to approve this rule.

Any objections??

15. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

16. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

I thought 1.5 is forbidden already, for me it's cheating, to play with a downloaded save.

17. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Me too, but someone thought it was important enough to state it in its own rule.
    I vote to approve it, of course.

18. topas

topas Prince

Of course, rule 1.5 should be approved.
    I also thought that it was already covered by other basic rules. Further it should be clear that playing ahead or playing different moves is clearly cheating.