proposed guidelines for instructions for turnsets

blastoidstalker

The Geographer
I jumped the gun a bit and put this up for a pole, but it was suggested that i put it up for discussion, so I am putting it here now. My apologies

My hope is that we can put something together this week and pass it by a large majority of people. I want something simple that everyone may not prefer but feel comfritable with.

I would also like to keep it solely to timing of Pre-turn chat instructions and not get into how these instrictions be implimented or post turn summeries.

to me these are different threads and different rules.

I propose the following change to the core rules be initiated.

The Instruction Thread Requirment.

1) That there must be an instruction thread started prior to a turnset at least 48 hours before the start of that turnset.

2) That those giving instructions for that turnset post their initial list of instructions at least 12 hours prior to the turnset. These posts need not be made by the person who makes the instructions, they can be done in proxy or lifted from other threads, but they need to be available for clear viewing at least 12 hours before the turnset.

3) If conditions 1 and 2 are not met then the turnset must be rescheduled to fit these conditions. For example; if initial instructions are posted 10 hours before scheduled start the turnset must be moved back at least 2 hours.

4) If in discussion after instructions are posted changes are made to instructions, we expect these revisions are posted in the thread but do not need to fulfill the time requirements in point 2.

5) The turn players are not obligated to follow the instructions given in the thread, but there deviations should be in the interest of the people and explained to them.

The reason for this revision to make the game more easy to follow. So that all can look in one place to see the intentions for a turn before it happens. For those of us who can not or do not attend the sessions this will make the game easier to follow and accountability for decisions will be more clear. I am not trying to tie the hands of those who play the game, but just make it easier to follow what is going on.

2) That those giving instructions for that turnset post their initial list of instructions at least 12 hours prior to the turnset. These posts need not be made by the person who makes the instructions, they can be done in proxy or lifted from other threads, but they need to be available for clear viewing at least 12 hours before the turnset.

I would rather have it say, the person require to make the instructions must post his instructions in the thread (no time limit) if he/she does not post in the instruction thread, then their area of concern is up to a higher persons (or someone speaking on behalf of the offical) or if not that then the DP can play that area how he/she likes to. (But put into better words of course)

Taking things from other threads should not be the DP's job, it should be up to the offical in charge to post them.

I like the general idea, but I'd like to see something like this split between the core rules and the Faction rules. I think we need to allow the Factions the flexibility to do things their way, not a single "right way" that is dictated from above.

First, I'm going to copy in parts of the existing core rules - we need to know what we're modifying.

Factions & Guilds:
Factions are any group of citizens that join together for roleplay or political purpose. A faction is constituted by the following:
  • A membership of at a minimum of 2 registered citizens.
  • A recognized government civic
  • Bylaws based on the above government civic for the running of the faction
  • A constitution based on the above government civic for the running of the faction
A guild is any group that either refuses to be recognized or does not meet the requirements to become a faction. A faction can fall in one of two categories:
Election:
New factions may apply at any time. Factions announce their candidacy for Prime Faction during the rebellion polling. Factions may choose to throw their support to another faction mid-polling. Voting is by individual.
  • A simple majority of support is required to become the prime faction.
  • If no faction achieves the simple majority then a run-off is posted between the factions with the 2 highest vote totals from the last poll.
Save Playing:
The Prime Faction's constitution will determine who we play the save. While anyone can look at the save to get information, you can't "play ahead" in the game - don't be stupid and ruin the suprise!. Information obtained from illegally playing ahead may not be used in any way and will be deleted on sight. Egregious violations may result in forum sanctions. Any "play of the save" must be logged and posted in a thread, with enough detail for someone else to generally recreate the actions in the save. A link to the ending save must also be posted in that thread.

Let's add a requirement that all factions in the PF election to meet certain requirements, then list out those requirements. This makes it easy for us to add/subtract requirements as needed. We should state those requirements in fairly generic terms to give the Factions flexibility in how they meet those requirements. We can also move the minimum faction size requirement from the main section to this section, so we can have Factions of one person, but they cannot have a ruleset in the Prime Faction election. (Slick, eh?)

Here's the changes I'd suggest

1. In the Faction section, remove the minimum size requirement

2. In the election section, add a bullet point at the start of the list:
  • The Factions ruleset must meet the minimum standards to be included in the Prime Faction election

3. Create a new section below the current Election section:
Faction Ruleset Requirements:
To be included in the Prime Faction election, the faction must post their candidacy and their ruleset to be used for that term. This ruleset cannot be changed once the Prime Faction polling starts. The Faction must meet these minimum requirements:
  • The Faction must have at least 2 members.
  • The Ruleset must require an instruction thread for each game session, posted before that session, except for special circumstances.
  • The Ruleset must post how long the term will last, but cannot last more than 100 in-game turns or 2 real-time months.

Once the election is over, the ruleset of the Prime Faction can be changed according to the ruleset. Only during the Prime Faction election can the ruleset not be changed.

4. Add a new sentance to the Save Playing section:
The Prime Faction will update the Game Summary thread with a summary of each game session and a link to the instruction thread for that session.

That covers the instruction thread suggestion, the term length suggestion and the game summary thread suggestion. The core rules are still fairly generic, allowing each Faction to decide how to meet those requirements.

Folks - we absolutely should demand some accountability from the Faction rulesets. NEITHER of the two main rulesets in the previous election would have met these requirements, and both could have with 20 seconds of work by any veteran player on the faction. Members of a faction need to push when they see things that can be better. Other factions campaign on the strength of their proposal and the weaknesses of the other proposals. And finally, citizens need to be willing to vote against bad proposals, or face the consequences of that bad proposal.

I think this is a good way to change the Core Rules - the requirements are listed clearly, but flexibility given on how to meet them.

-- Ravensfire

I would rather have it say, the person require to make the instructions must post his instructions in the thread (no time limit) if he/she does not post in the instruction thread, then their area of concern is up to a higher persons (or someone speaking on behalf of the offical) or if not that then the DP can play that area how he/she likes to. (But put into better words of course)

Taking things from other threads should not be the DP's job, it should be up to the offical in charge to post them.

Ah - perfect example of what I think should be in the Faction ruleset!

Consider 3 different styles of playing the save:
1) On-line, chat oriented - sessions are on-line only, and instructions can be overridden by leaders (or reps) during the chat.
2) On-line, forum oriented - sessions are generally on-line, instructions are limited to the instruction thread. (Note that instructions CAN be given that allow for flexibility or overrides, can also be off-line)
3) Off-line - sessions are off-line, instructions are limited to instruction thread (think SG here)

All three styles have been used in just the last DG. And this is following a traditional style of play! We've also had suggestions of a continual style, where 1-2 turns are played a day, every day. Consider the changes needed for that type of play!

My point is that we need to make sure that the Faction can decide how to handle how to play which includes an instruction thread.

-- Ravensfire

The important part for me is that the decisions which the instructions flow from should be visible to the public at least 24 hours in advance of the session. The format doesn't really matter much to me, but the timing does.

Some may remember that I was against a limit on changing instructions within 24 hours. I'm still against making the decision inflexible, but at the same time we have to have at least some advance warning of what will happen, or we give up any possibility of being able to influence it. And if we can't influence it, then it's a succession game instead of a democracy game and we don't need to be here at all.

Top Bottom