1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros for Religion?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Robowhitty, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Robowhitty

Robowhitty Chieftain

I really have no idea what religion is good for... All I see it as is a distraction!

Someone tell me why it is important! :cry:

2. Lunco

Lunco Chieftain

Getting Tithe and spreading your religion is a great source of income. Faith bought buildings are very good at keeping up happiness in a wide empire.

Civs will like you more, if they share your religion and are less likely to war with you early. Sharing a religion also increases Tourism bonus.

Probably the best thing about religion is buying Great Persons with Faith after Industrial era.

3. Robowhitty

Robowhitty Chieftain

Thanks, never knew religion could interfere with diplomacy!:p

4. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

The best thing about faith is buying great persons. Having a religion does not necessarily helps that, esp if you not choose any faith-boosting beliefs. You can get by with a faith pantheon, shrines, temples and grand temple without having a religion. Besides, at higher difficulties, you will not likely spread your religion, so choose good internal beliefs.

5. Deau

Deau Emperor

Either there are negation/double negation errors in both first sentences syntax or you are missing out a few details.

You cannot build grand temple without founding your own religion. You lose your pantheon once a religion is spread to you (and thus gain the other religion's pantheon).

So "getting by" with shrines/temples only is extremely difficult. In fact, most players will completely let go on shrines/temples for competitive play if they can't secure their own strong faith pantheon for a religion and simply rely on CS friends/allies to generate enough total faith to buy ~2 or in very lucky cases 3 GPs in late game.

The opportunity cost (upkeep and hammers in early game) for a mere +3 FPT per city is rarely worth it without at least unlocking grand temple.

There is much more to faith/religion than GP although it is that which people strive for. However, catching a 5th bad religion just so as to be able to produce more total FPT (grand temple, possibility to spawn great prophets and settle them) can prove extremely worthwhile in BnW as you get to benefit from other civs' reformation beliefs without having to go piety. In the normal scenario where you can't get a religion, you rarely can output enough FPT to make use of other religions' faith-sinking beliefs.

I have had many, many games lately where a neighbor would spread Jesuit Education to my 3-4 satellite cities whilst my cap would run divine inspiration/religious community. That had allowed me to rush-buy/faith-buy all universities/pschools/rlabs within very, very few turns of teching and a fairly limited gold output.

6. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Agree very much with that first sentence, but you do need a religion otherwise your pantheon gets wiped out and you can't build GT.

Faith buying GP is extremely powerful for any victory type because it let's you control the timing perfectly. Wait till research labs are done and buy a bunch of scientists....wait til you have internet and buy a bunch of musicians...buy some GEs for critical wonders, etc.

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

You're right, I was in too much of a hurry typing that. My point about the first sentence was saying you need faith but not necessarily religion to buy great persons.

I didn't say anything about allowing other religions to come into your cities, just that you wouldn't spread too much to others. By choosing good internal beliefs (like cathedrals, mosques, warriors) and localized inquisitors, you can keep your pantheon and religion solid within your borders.

Faith pantheon, shrines and/or temples , grand temples (with religion of course), a religious city-state and something else I'm not thinking of, you can get 50-60 faith per turn which is adequate, I believe, to buy 5-7 great persons before the late ones. I've gotten to about 100 faith per turn late without piety or spreading religion.

8. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

Well everyone is talking about the end game and ignoring... the rest of the picture. I suppose you may be separating the concept of a pantheon from that of a religion by choice, but really a pantheon can be a very strong boost in the early game. Free hammers or free culture will help you out in any strategy, and a pantheon is the only way to get past 3 culture per city before the classical age, as an example.

Beyond that, there are some really strong beliefs for followers too.. Hammers, culture, happiness. I mean. Really what can religion do? Whatever you want. I view it as the swiss army knife in your civ's toolkit. You can use it to min/max whatever you want to boost (stack gold beliefs with a financial type civ for example), or to cover a weakness in your civ (get Cathedrals to cover the fact you're not taking the time to build monuments, for example).

The only limit is your creativity and of course, the list of beliefs you have to choose from. :p

9. glory7

glory7 King

for example, you can get free 15% hammers and 15% growth if you are not at war. That would make difference. And buildings like pagoda/mosque do not need further explanations. Even the ones like "happy shrine" (+1 happy for shrine for 3+ follower) is pretty useful.

10. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

The money from tithe.....

Also, if you share a religion with a CS, your influence drops slower

11. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

I agree, when you plan to play a mostly peaceful game, swords into plowshares is quite amazing in BNW.

12. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Amazing? Not really, but it is more viable in BNW than it was in G&K (particularly after the patch that dialed up AI aggressiveness). There are other sources of growth, so it is hardly a "gotta have". As usual, what beliefs you need in a particular game will depend on the map and the strategic situation.

13. Robowhitty

Robowhitty Chieftain

Tbh, if you are going for anything but a culture victory, its not too important.... Hasn't really helped me gain global domination any quicker

14. Deau

Deau Emperor

If your domination was fast paced, it would've been essential to stay afloat on happiness. It is nearly impossible to manage happiness through early offensive wars without the help of religion at higher difficulties.

15. Catan_Settler

Catan_Settler Prince

If religion isn't helping you warmonger you're doing something wrong. Nevermind the cheap/free happiness you will pretty much need to annex and puppet a large number cities, holy warriors can be absolutely game changing if you have good terrain for a faith pantheon. I've had games pulling in 50+ faith per turn from desert folklore or one with nature, where I can literally buy a compbow every second turn with faith, allowing the cities to churn out markets, libraries, wonders and so on to keep the economy and growth humming along.