Protective Wall Whip trick?

vormuir

Prince
I've seen this mentioned a number of times, but I've never seen it explained in detail.

Is it that you start to build a Wall, then whip just before it's done, and the game gives you double shields on the overflow? That seems handy, but hardly game-breaking. Am I missing something?

Waldo

First of all you are missing patch 3.19, that made this move useless ( and I mean really useless... because Firaxis screwed up the code and the hammers from chopping, if the hammer overflow passes the hammer count of the building you're doing, simply vanish in thin air ). But for nostalgic reasons, I suggest you to read vale's article about hammer overflow ...

About your question about being game breaking... well, think on it: if you can get 200/300 g by chopping 2 or 3 trees ( and this just in one city....), that means you can settle/conquer some more cities early ( pre CoL and pre currency ) easily without going bankrupt. And having 8 cities is far diferent than having 4 , right ? :D

No, the unofficial 3.19 patch changes this back to what it was in the unofficial 3,17 patch :D ( and to what was the intended and confessed goal of the firaxians with the borked 3.19 code ): hammer overflow cash calcs does not include multipliers related to the building/unit in queue ( making it exactly as efficient as building wealth with those same hammers )

ell, think on it: if you can get 200/300 g by chopping 2 or 3 trees ( and this just in one city....), that means you can settle/conquer some more cities early ( pre CoL and pre currency ) easily without going bankrupt. And having 8 cities is far diferent than having 4 , right ? :D

Just so we're clear: you're putting trees into a failed wonder? How does this apply to walls?

Just so we're clear: you're putting trees into a failed wonder? How does this apply to walls?

Excessive hammer overflow is directly converted to gold. No need to put them into a wonder. It applies to walls because PRO Civs used to be able to exploit their +100% production bonus towards them to gain huge amounts of gold from this overflow (basically 60 hammers from trees instead of 30).

Anyway, I don't know all the details but here's the only thing one needs to know: it doesn't work anymore - actually it works even worse than it "should".

Since the patch, whipping a warrior is almost always going to cause hammer wastage. If you're near completion of something like a monument and you decide to whip while also having a decent base hammer rate, you will probably waste hammers too.

It seems it is possible to get gold overflow in some cases, which rolo seems to know about, but most of the time overflow is capped at the cost of the previous build and you don't get anything over that.

Since the patch, whipping a warrior is almost always going to cause hammer wastage. If you're near completion of something like a monument and you decide to whip while also having a decent base hammer rate, you will probably waste hammers too.

It seems it is possible to get gold overflow in some cases, which rolo seems to know about, but most of the time overflow is capped at the cost of the previous build and you don't get anything over that.
I even posted a test game to show it when 3.19 patch got out ;)

Here is another screenshot (no protective), I think the gold is still achievable in a very weird way...
It's from marathon game w/ Shaka (god he blows the water, I think I could have got BC domination, and the 1st time I got +gold and 0 slider was like 300BC)
Spoiler :

Top Bottom