Proud Tradition of AI nuking themselves!

Callonia

Deity
i accidently declared war on this faction cuz I thought the planet belonged to the other AI who dow'd on me.

So it's now my five ships versus her four ships. I think I dow'd on china.

Battle starts.

China had three ships in front and one ship in the back. The one in the back went first and launched a torpedo. It hits the ship in the front and blew it up and the blast radius hit two other starships to it's side and blew them up as well.

I was like

.... lol

and charged in and blew the teamkiller.

Then planet immediately switched sides to me with 100% of their support and they even performed partial repairs onto my starships.

This reminded me of AIs nuking their own cities after my soldiers have left them hence the thread title.

Yeah, the AI doesn't handle torpedoes well (theirs or the human player's). Though I must confess that I almost blew up one of my own ships by firing it while close to a planet and having it blow up in my face (apparently atmospheres cause premature detonation?) :eek:

so it does do friendly fire? I couldnt tell, becasue the only time i torpedoed a planet while hiding behind it (mainly hit the wrong button) i also had the reactive armor wonder (enemy had stealth torpedoes). Felt a bit sorry for the planet though.

Now that you mention it, yes, the AI's ship was right next to a planet on it's leftside. Must've fired too close and ended up nuking themselves.

Heck I blew my own ship up with a torpedo the first time I used them.

so it does do friendly fire?

Yes, torpedoes will cause friendly fire if your ships are in the blast radius. Torpedoes also automatically detonate if they hit a planet. I accidentally killed one of my ships because it was right next to a planet and I tried to fire through the planet. But it does make planets excellent cover against torpedoes.

There is one wonder that negates damage from torpedoes which add a fun dynamic. Put out a bait ship (fighter) put a torp around it and watch the AI jump on it. Love knocking out 3 or more ships with one torpedo.

You can also move where the "1" is on the torpedo line before firing. Since the torpedo won't explode until it reaches the "1" mark, it is good to adjust it depending on how close your target is.

Top Bottom