proven that the world is round (circumnavigation)

so i've seen this message pop up once, where X civ has proven that the world is round

i've circumnavigated the map using a great admiral but as far as i can tell there hasn't been anything that happened

does it require astronomy first? and does anyone know more about this?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that you may have to return to exactly the point at which you started. Otherwise the game won't count the thing linked up.

On the whole though it's an achievement and so I don't suggest caring about it at all.

It should happen without Astronomy, as I've seen the Polynesian AI circumnavigate the world in a ridiculously short number of turns.

Are you sure someone didn't beat you to it? The notification isn't that big and doesn't stay visible for very long, if you're not expecting it you can quite easily miss it.

Edit:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that you may have to return to exactly the point at which you started. Otherwise the game won't count the thing linked up.

On the whole though it's an achievement and so I don't suggest caring about it at all.

No, you just need line of sight on at least one hex in every column of hexes.

Yeah, it's kind of pointless in the base game anyway, the default bonus moves for doing it is 0.

The code is still in there for people who want to activate it (via mod) the way it was in CIV.

ah if it's an achievement then, not much to worry about.. and yeah i might of been beaten to it, since it really is a small notification afterall very easy to miss

though it could easily be changed around i imagine so it becomes a CS quest (for maritime) or even reward some culture, that would be fun

Yes; I don't think that there's a reward for it. I don't tend to do it though and so I can't be sure.

Extra movement points might be nice.

Correct.

No unit-based reward (like in Civ IV, with one extra movement granted to all naval units), just a quick in-game notification and earned "achievement."

For me, it's been hard to break old Civ IV habits, since I always liked being the first to prove the world was "round" and getting the naval movement bump-up.

Yeah, I re-added the 1 move for first to circumnavigate to my mod.

Yeah, it's kind of pointless in the base game anyway, the default bonus moves for doing it is 0.

The code is still in there for people who want to activate it (via mod) the way it was in CIV.

I edited the CIV5GameOptions.xml and set to a bonus of 1 - doesn't seem to do anything once I get the notification that I went round the world...

+1 movement to all ships is way, way too much (but typical of mods). Perhaps +1 site would be more balanced.

Or a one time science bonus (equal to popping a GS perhaps, or maybe hallf of that), would make sense since it is a scientific theorem that you proved

+1 movement to all ships is way, way too much (but typical of mods). Perhaps +1 site would be more balanced.

Or perhaps +1 movement for that ship. Some sort of reward is nice.

The problem is the core xml support. The line in GlobalDefines.xml is CIRCUMNAVIGATE_FREE_MOVES (set to 0 by default) so changing it to be sight instead of movement requires some SQL/LUA finangling while adjusting it to give +1 move just requires a few lines of adjustment in a mod (to Set Value=1 for that tag) and most modders find changing existing xml values far easier than fiddling with SQL/LUA.

Top Bottom